A civil debate forum for people of all persuasions (Atheists, Agnostics, Deists, Christians, and adherents of any religion)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Reply to topic

Are mormons christian?
Yes
62%
 62%  [ 31 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 50

Kuan
First Post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:37 pm  Why do some people believe mormons are not christian? Reply with quote

So, you can probably tell I'm Mormon and I'm willing to debate my religion or answer questions. The purpose of this thread though is that I have had many people tell me I'm not Christian even though I believe in Jesus. I'm wondering why that is. Thanks for any answers!
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 151: Wed May 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Like this post
Ooberman wrote:

It's what humans do. It's "In Group/Out Group" behavior. It's the same impulse as racism or xenophobia.

This is absolutely true: if you wish to persecute someone, you must first make him 'other.' It's a universal law.[/quote]

I always find we often agree, Di. If it weren't for religious beliefs, we'd probably agree on most things!

As for proof that God doesn't exist? Easy: My definition of "God": Mythical creature that doesn't exist.

If you have another definition, I'll let you defend it... Wink[/quote]
So...if you substitute your definition of "God" for the word in your claim that 'there is no God,' we get: "There is no ' mythical creature that doesn't exist'"

Hmmn.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 152: Thu May 15, 2014 11:03 am

Like this post
dianaiad wrote:

Ooberman wrote:

It's what humans do. It's "In Group/Out Group" behavior. It's the same impulse as racism or xenophobia.

This is absolutely true: if you wish to persecute someone, you must first make him 'other.' It's a universal law.

I always find we often agree, Di. If it weren't for religious beliefs, we'd probably agree on most things!

As for proof that God doesn't exist? Easy: My definition of "God": Mythical creature that doesn't exist.

If you have another definition, I'll let you defend it... Wink[/quote]
So...if you substitute your definition of "God" for the word in your claim that 'there is no God,' we get: "There is no ' mythical creature that doesn't exist'"

Hmmn.[/quote]

It's a nice little Koan isn't it....
icon_eyebrow

And, actually, if you really want to get into it. I also think God is an individuals personification of Goodness (for some people) or a personification of nature - so in this way God does exist, just not as a person.

So, depending on how we define it, God does or doesn't exist. Which is why, also, we can't lump atheism into one camp or another. It's not a static definition, but relies on the claim first.

A theistic hypothesis must precede atheism. And, it's fully reasonable to think some theistic hypotheses may even be true, and render some versions of atheism moot.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 153: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:20 pm
Re: Why do some people believe mormons are not christian?

Like this post
[Replying to post 1 by Kuan]

Of Cause Mormons are Christians. Isn't the definition of a Christian someone who believes in Christ's divinity or believe in his teachings?

I can not at all see how it can be argued that Mormons are not Christian. If Mormons are not Christians can you argue that anyone is?

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 154: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Like this post (1): Hector Barbosa
Hector Barbosa wrote:

[Replying to post 1 by Kuan]

Of Cause Mormons are Christians. Isn't the definition of a Christian someone who believes in Christ's divinity or believe in his teachings?

I can not at all see how it can be argued that Mormons are not Christian. If Mormons are not Christians can you argue that anyone is?

And there's the real bone of contention really. It seems no one, not even Christians themselves can agree on what makes a true Christian. We have had numerous threads here on the topic and get all sorts of different answers.

And then of course you have people claiming that ex-Christians were never true Christians to begin with.

If we were to reject every person that was ever accused of not being a true Christian, there would be no Christians.

I think the whole idea of a "true Christian" is nothing but a fantasy.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 155: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Like this post
[Replying to post 154 by OnceConvinced]

And I would tend to agree with you, and the above is just one of many evidences of that.

Christians shoot themselves in the foot by arguing that Mormons are not Christians, for if they are not Christians, you can easily put up a argument that no Christian faith is true Christian as you point out. Good point!

In a way even by their own definition Christianity IS fantasy.

For if it was a REAL faith, it would be build on the spiritual power which Jesus himself supposedly had and his apostles too, and then they should be walking evidence of this faith and not need religion.

In fact there is nothing in the Bible which says that you need or even should have religion. There is also no mention of religion being in heaven.

So for Christianity to NOT be a fantasy, it need the spiritual faith power Jesus and Paul had. Otherwise it LITERALLY IS fantasy. Even the Bible itself teach this.

2nd Corinthians 3:6 " Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life."

Without evidence of this spirit, the letter or law kills! and that include killing any justification for religion.

Romans 3:28 "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law."

Their religion, commandments or law has no power, justification or merit without faith to use the spiritual power, which gives EVIDENCE of its divinity.

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

Acts 6:8 "And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people."

There is countless of evidence of this in the Bible.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 156: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:32 am
Are Mormons Christian?

Like this post
One respondent cited Acts 11:26 which states: "disciples were called Christians first in Antioch".

We should, however, remember that approximately 73 B.C. in the book of Alma Chapter 46:13-14 we find that the true believers in Christ were called Christians. Angel

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 157: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:07 pm
Are Mormons Christians?

Like this post
I have respect for any person who can prove from the Bible that they are indeed Christians. The problem I come across with most people that they cannot prove that they are a Christian. It does not matter what faith you are apart of, you can be Catholic, Baptist, Methodist Jehovah witness, Etc... If you cannot prove it based on the Bible (The place that the term Christian was first used) then you are not.

Goto top, bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter