How do you tell what faith is the true Christian faith?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

samscilley
Student

How do you tell what faith is the true Christian faith?

Post #1

Post by samscilley »

I have seen it asked why people don't believe that they are Christians because of the faith they are in. I believe that a person is a Christian if they can prove from the Bible (the place that the term Christian is first used) that they are. Who here can Prove that they are Christians?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: How do you tell what faith is the true Christian faith?

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

samscilley wrote: I have seen it asked why people don't believe that they are Christians because of the faith they are in. I believe that a person is a Christian if they can prove from the Bible (the place that the term Christian is first used) that they are. Who here can Prove that they are Christians?
oooo, trick questions...how different.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

samscilley
Student

Post #3

Post by samscilley »

Hi trusscott,

Not sure what you mean by PCC Theology. Maybe you are thinking I am trying to trick you some how or have had some sort of seminary training. If someone claims to be a Christian I am asking if they can prove it based on the book that the term comes from, the Bible. Isn't only logical that if you claim to be something that you would be able to prove why?

If I say I am a plumber that means nothing. If I own a plumbing company it still does not make me a plumber. Here are some things that prove I am a plumber.

1. I have a license to plumb from the state.

2. I have tools to fix plumbing.

3. I can fix plumbing in a house.

4. I have reviews from people that said I fixed their plumbing.

5. If you showed a plumbing part I would almost for sure be able to tell you what it is and what it does.

6. I know the plumbing code (the hand book that plumbers use to tell if the plumbing is right or not).

People who claim to be Christians should also be able to show similar evidence don't you think?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

samscilley wrote:Isn't only logical that if you claim to be something that you would be able to prove why?
There is no proof given that is acceptable to an atheist. Rom 1:20 says everyone has seen the proof so they are without excuse but the rest of the chapter says they repress that truth because they love sin more than the truth. <shrug>

There is no evidence ever accepted by a non-believer as credible. I don't dance on the head of the pin of semantics. Catch you on the next topic...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

Moderator Intervention

Be adviced: It is not permitted to say another person or group is not a Christian if the person or group identifies as Christian (this includes Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or any group that claims to be Christian).

This rule applies in all parts of this site and not just the debating boards.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.

samscilley
Student

Post #6

Post by samscilley »

Hi Bust Nak,

I never said anything of the sort. I am just asking if they can prove that they are a Christian based on the New Testament (the Christian handbook for being a Christian). Someone asked a similar question of being a Mormon and I simply responded that what you say and what you do makes you one or not based on the New Testament.

Moderator Intervention

Be adviced: It is not permitted to say another person or group is not a Christian if the person or group identifies as Christian (this includes Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or any group that claims to be Christian).

This rule applies in all parts of this site and not just the debating boards.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #7

Post by Bust Nak »

samscilley wrote: I never said anything of the sort. I am just asking if they can prove that they are a Christian based on the New Testament (the Christian handbook for being a Christian).
That's fine, I am just making sure you know the rule.

jgh7

Re: How do you tell what faith is the true Christian faith?

Post #8

Post by jgh7 »

samscilley wrote: I have seen it asked why people don't believe that they are Christians because of the faith they are in. I believe that a person is a Christian if they can prove from the Bible (the place that the term Christian is first used) that they are. Who here can Prove that they are Christians?
If all that is entailed in the Path could be chopped down to a single snippet or verse in the bible, then what would be the point of New Testament?

Still though, I just read through the epistles of John and here's a verse were John lays the foundation of who a Christian is:

1 John 3:23
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

samscilley
Student

Post #9

Post by samscilley »

Hi agh7,

The New Testament was written to Christians. You are correct to say that you cannot chop it down to a single verse. To be a Christian it is a life long growing process and learning what is good and acceptable and perfect in Gods eyes. The steps that a person takes to become a Christian is what I am asking can people prove from the New Testament that they are Christians. There are always steps that people must take to become something that they are not born as.

jgh7

Post #10

Post by jgh7 »

samscilley wrote: Hi agh7,

The New Testament was written to Christians. You are correct to say that you cannot chop it down to a single verse. To be a Christian it is a life long growing process and learning what is good and acceptable and perfect in Gods eyes. The steps that a person takes to become a Christian is what I am asking can people prove from the New Testament that they are Christians. There are always steps that people must take to become something that they are not born as.
Hello, I suppose I would go with this statement from Paul.

Romans 10:9
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

---

However I would interpret it a special way. Confessing with the mouth means more than that. What about the person who is mute? They can't literally confess with the mouth. So for me this statement is more of an inward and outward belief in Christ. You have the inward faith and the outward action of living by that faith.