Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

False Gods

Post #1

Post by StuartJ »

The false gods mentioned in the Old Testament were worshiped by the people of Canaan and the nations surrounding the Promised Land, but were these idols just made-up deities or did they actually possess supernatural power?

Many Bible scholars are convinced some of these so-called divine beings could indeed do amazing acts because they were demons, or fallen angels, disguising themselves as gods.

"They sacrificed to demons, which are not God, gods they had not known...," says Deuteronomy 32:17 (NIV) about idols. When Moses confronted Pharaoh, the Egyptian magicians were able to duplicate some of his miracles, such as turning their staffs into snakes and turning the Nile River into blood. Some Bible scholars attribute those strange deeds to demonic forces.
https://www.thoughtco.com/false-gods-of ... ent-700162

Can we determine that the biblical Yahweh is or is not as false as all the other gods the Yahweh propaganda declares are false?
No one EVER demonstrates that "God" exists outside their parietal cortex.

William
Savant

Re: False Gods

Post #2

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by StuartJ]
Can we determine that the biblical Yahweh is or is not as false as all the other gods the Yahweh propaganda declares are false?
There appears to be no way in which to determine such, as far as I can't tell. I recently pointed this our in the thread;

Talking About Aliens ... About Jesus Returning...
OP of that thread wrote:It seems very obvious to me that the Christian beliefs to do with Jesus returning - such as they are prophesied - have passed the use-by date and can no longer happen in the fashion believed, because, *Aliens*.

I have argued this before, and one attempt to rebuff this argument was words to the effect that "Jesus comes from another dimensional reality - therefore *not aliens*" to which I questioned with words to the effect " Why would it make any difference, "Aliens" "Inter-dimensional beings?"

My point being that, humanity has advanced it's knowledge-base to the degree that we would understand any such event actually unfolding as something other than "Jesus-as-the-messiah-representative of GOD" but rather "Individual claiming to be representing GOD in the flesh - in the form of a humanoid icon -" as being an *Alien*.

In terms of what miraculous powers Jesus returning is said will be displayed, the world will not see these as evidence of GOD, but of an alien/alien species so much more highly advanced than our own.

Indeed, such an event would settle for all time - as the penny drops - as to the source of all the most popular religious belief systems.

All except for those who believe that they have always been worshipers of their idea of GOD. Rather, they will turn a blind eye to the obvious conclusion to draw and will accept the alien as GOD and worship Him as they believe a GOD must be worshiped.

The rest of the world will just have to wait and see how the Alien(s) behave in relation to them.
The overall point being that there is nothing to differentiate the ideas presented through the abrahamic organised religions regarding the God and the opposition.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Jagella »

StuartJ wrote:Can we determine that the biblical Yahweh is or is not as false as all the other gods the Yahweh propaganda declares are false?
As far as I can tell all the gods only exist in stories. If by "false god" you mean a god who has no existence outside of these tall tales, then all gods are "false." Yahweh and Jesus are false gods. If any god was real, then it would be obvious to everybody.

showme
Sage

Post #4

Post by showme »

StuartJ wrote: The false gods mentioned in the Old Testament were worshiped by the people of Canaan and the nations surrounding the Promised Land, but were these idols just made-up deities or did they actually possess supernatural power?

Many Bible scholars are convinced some of these so-called divine beings could indeed do amazing acts because they were demons, or fallen angels, disguising themselves as gods.

"They sacrificed to demons, which are not God, gods they had not known...," says Deuteronomy 32:17 (NIV) about idols. When Moses confronted Pharaoh, the Egyptian magicians were able to duplicate some of his miracles, such as turning their staffs into snakes and turning the Nile River into blood. Some Bible scholars attribute those strange deeds to demonic forces.
https://www.thoughtco.com/false-gods-of ... ent-700162

The gods of nations were not declared false, the 1st commandment simply says that Israel should have no other gods before me. If you read Revelation 13:4, the "dragon", who is the devil, gave his authority to the "beast" so that the "dragon" can be "worshipped". In the case of the beast, Julius Caesar, the emperor of the Roman empire, the god was the sun god Bel. In the case of Augustus Caesar Constantine, the god was the sun god Sol Invictus. Today the "Christians" worship the sun god on his holy day, which is the day of the sun, Sunday, per the decree of Constantine, given in the year 321 A.D.. As for the Egyptian soothsayers, their snakes lost, and the Israelis were given gold to get out of town.