What Ever Happened to the David Kings ...?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

What Ever Happened to the David Kings ...?

Post #1

Post by StuartJ »

The David kings were possibly real historical figures ...

The Tel Dan Stele, an inscribed stone erected by a king of Damascus in the late 9th/early 8th centuries BCE to commemorate his victory over two enemy kings, contains the phrase ביתדוד‬, bytdwd, which most scholars translate as "House of David".[71 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David#His ... archeology

But they dribble out of Jewish folklore after the Ezra/Nehemiah tales ...

And don't reappear until the propaganda of the Jewish sect supporting the Jesus character.

The notion that the Jesus character was sired by the Jewish deity Yahweh (or the Holy Ghost) has nothing other than the cult propaganda and the imaginations of believers to support it.

The propaganda DOES - in two contradictory genealogies - however, trace the Jesus character back to the original King David.

What ever happened to the David kings ... and their supporters ... and their heirs ...?
No one EVER demonstrates that "God" exists outside their parietal cortex.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #21

Post by bjs »

StuartJ wrote:
bjs wrote:
StuartJ wrote: I offer that my hypothesis of a real or fictional Davidian Political Jesus is plausible.
A hypothesis is defined as: a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.

Unless you have means and intention of further investigating your idea, it is not a hypothesis. It is a conspiracy theory.
Given the possibility that Human Jesus is fictional ...

And the TOTAL ABSENCE of evidence for Divine Jesus ...

And given the contradictory David genealogies for the Jesus character ...

And the "King of the Jews" appellation for the Jesus character ...

And the biblical "prophecies" for the line of David ...

And my regular posts here concerning Davidian Political Jesus ...

I'd say I had a very plausible set of down-to-earth, angel and virgin and resurrection-free hypotheses offered up for further investigation.

A shred of proof of ANY sort to back up a god-sired Jesus would be something of a setback...

But the god-sired issue is usually avoided by folks of faith.
Great! Please explain how you plan to further investigate this “hypothesis.� You have provided a historical setting, but no direct evidence and no means of attaining direct evidence. So far it looks like you have a faith-based conspiracy theory.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: What Ever Happened to the David Kings ...?

Post #22

Post by Jagella »

StuartJ wrote:
Jagella wrote:
StuartJ wrote:What ever happened to the David kings ... and their supporters ... and their heirs ...?
Stuart, I'd recommend you read Hector Avalos' The End of Biblical Studies. He explains in it that the evidence for King David is no better than the evidence for King Arthur.

So the answer to your question is that King David was probably a myth.
OMG ...!!!

I'm shattered :(
I know you're being facetious, but a lot of people are unaware of the mythological nature of David and almost all other figures in the Old Testament. It wasn't that long ago that Bible scholars assumed that even Adam and Eve were real people.

How long will it be until Jesus joins the myth club?

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by StuartJ »

[Replying to post 21 by bjs]
Great! Please explain how you plan to further investigate this “hypothesis.� You have provided a historical setting, but no direct evidence and no means of attaining direct evidence. So far it looks like you have a faith-based conspiracy theory.
Which puts me on a level with Christianity.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by ttruscott »

StuartJ wrote:The notion that the Jesus character was sired by the Jewish deity Yahweh (or the Holy Ghost) has nothing other than the cult propaganda and the imaginations of believers to support it.
If this is your own opinion, good, but state that it is such in a debate forum.

IF it is supported by proof, then please let us see it, as per debate rules.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by StuartJ »

ttruscott wrote:
StuartJ wrote:The notion that the Jesus character was sired by the Jewish deity Yahweh (or the Holy Ghost) has nothing other than the cult propaganda and the imaginations of believers to support it.

Okay ...

You found a sentence where I didn't write something like my usual "as far as I can tell" or "In my experience" ...

I'll accept that admonition.

However ...

If you HAVE something outside the cult propaganda and your imagination ...

Here is exactly the place to slam it triumphantly on the keyboard.

My Hat of Prophecy is telling me won't ...

But YOU will need to tell us why you won't ...?

And, if I remember, you have claimed that your "Indwelling Holy Spirit" tells you things about "God".

So ...

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by StuartJ »

And the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David. Luke 1:32

Looks awfully like political propaganda right there.

Given that not a soul ever demonstrates that this "scripture" came in any way from the "Lord God".

I suggest, by way of rational explanation of the fantastical, that the Davids were believed to be god-kings ...

And they are the Sons of the Elohim of Genesis ...

And they have been written out of the propaganda as god-kings by the people who deposed them ...

And re-wrote the propaganda.

A simple, rational explanation, presented as a speculative hypothesis ...

In the absence of evidence.

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by StuartJ »

What ever happened to the David kings ... and their supporters ... and their heirs ...?
We have seen in this thread that the Davids and their supporters never went away ... they just lost influence.

People who HAD influence generally want it back.

We have seen in other threads that Christians acknowledge that they have NO evidence that the Jesus character was sired by Yahweh.

NONE

It's quite reasonable - in my view - given the absence of evidence for "God" in the Jesus propaganda ...

And extra-biblical references to the David faction ...

And biblical references to the David faction ...

To offer the hypothesis that the whole Jesus business is just human politics ...

Remembering the absence of evidence for "God".

I offer too that the whole "Christ the Redeemer" business is just political spin put on the failure of the Jesus character to become "King of the Jews".

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by StuartJ »

This prophecy fail must have been a disappointment to the Davidians who were trying to get Jesus onto the throne currently occupied by the Herods.