Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

The Indwelling Holy Spirit

Post #1

Post by StuartJ »

No independently verifiable evidence of any sort whatsoever is ever offered by Christians - to the best of my knowledge - to back their claims that:

A) The biblical Yahweh is "God"

B) The biblical writings are from Yahweh.

I've posted threads on these two topics, and the best that folks on this forum can do is say that the Indwelling Holy Spirit convinces them that everything from the mud-man and his rib-woman all the way through to Jesus bursting back through the clouds with armies of exterminating angels is real and true (except the bits they don't like).

And offer NOTHING else to back up their two claims above.

So, is the Indwelling Holy Spirit real, or just voices in the head, or the result of brainwashing, or something else ...?
No one EVER demonstrates that "God" exists outside their parietal cortex.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: The Indwelling Holy Spirit

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

StuartJ wrote:So, is the Indwelling Holy Spirit real, or just voices in the head, or the result of brainwashing, or something else ...?
The "indwelling of the Holy Spirit" is an obvious delusion. People want to feel special, and what could be more special than to have a god inside them?

Unfortunately, there's nothing to show for this indwelling. As far as I can tell, Christians seem as "god-free" as everybody else. The Holy Spirit seems incapable of imparting wisdom to Christians preventing them from hating people like gays. Neither does the Holy Spirit seem very good at keeping the clergy from taking money from desperate people or Catholic priests from molesting children.

And if all that's not bad enough, the Holy Spirit doesn't know the name of my former pastor!

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by StuartJ »

George didn't mention here that the "Holy Ghost" guides different Christians to different beliefs about the "scriptures".

It looks to me like the "Indwelling Holy Spirit" is just a delusionary term for the human imagination ... and not some aspect of "God".

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Jagella »

StuartJ wrote:George didn't mention here that the "Holy Ghost" guides different Christians to different beliefs about the "scriptures".
And don't forget that any beliefs other Christians hold that different are said by many Christians to be the work of the Devil. The Holy Spirit's feelings are no doubt hurt when people say he's the Devil.

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by StuartJ »

Jagella wrote:
StuartJ wrote:George didn't mention here that the "Holy Ghost" guides different Christians to different beliefs about the "scriptures".
And don't forget that any beliefs other Christians hold that different are said by many Christians to be the work of the Devil. The Holy Spirit's feelings are no doubt hurt when people say he's the Devil.

Yes ...

Satan is obviously why different Christians have different "truths" about what the IHS is saying in their minds.

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by StuartJ »

The possible source of the "Indwelling Holy Spirit" ...

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

I tend to think of Her as an 'attitude'.

Of course, 'holy' is in the eye of the beholder, and my understanding of 'spirit' is that predominant attitude we each have within, and listen to, and act upon.

Whether that attitude is 'holy' depends upon the nature of the one experiencing it, and helping to shape it.

For me it is not just about the voice in the head we all are, or the visions of alternate experiences most of us have had, and some will continue to have...

...it is also about the heart. So not just the head (mind).

The heart.

The head can deduce logically and the heart can deduce emotionally, and the spirit can connect the two, to work in unity, which creates harmony.

It is a natural part of being human in relation to the taming of the beast within...where the 'holy' resides - diligently working on that area which determines humanity from the bestiality It derives.

The Spirit has been with us always. Deal with it, we each do, as we will.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

William wrote:
The head can deduce logically and the heart can deduce emotionally, and the spirit can connect the two, to work in unity, which creates harmony.
The heart is a muscle that pumps blood.

The Spirit has been with us always. Deal with it, we each do, as we will.
Now there is a faith based belief if I ever saw one. No reasonable discussion can proceed at this point. Perhaps that is your intention given that there is no way you can support such a claim.

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by StuartJ »

Unless Christians can demonstrate that the "Holy Ghost" is anything more than make-believe and they are not simply brainwashing their children ...

Dawkins has the safer approach.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 9 by StuartJ]

Here's a man who was taught by his father to be guided by the Holy Spirit:

Here is the result:

Cody Coots' father, Jamie Coots, didn't come to visit his son because Jamie died from a snake bite while following the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Dawkins' approach is much better. Too bad Cody never learned to disagree with his dad.