Post by EBA »

Tell me, what is "The Good News?"

Peace be to all.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #251

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 249 by myth-one.com]

Sometimes living is more difficult then dying. For the suicidal dying can be an act of selfishness.

Jesus didn't really die anyway.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #252

Post by myth-one.com »

Myth-one.com wrote:Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)
postroad wrote:Sometimes living is more difficult then dying. For the suicidal dying can be an act of selfishness.

So the following is not a true statement?

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #253

Post by 2timothy316 »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 249 by myth-one.com]

Sometimes living is more difficult then dying. For the suicidal dying can be an act of selfishness.

"Jesus began explaining to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes and be killed, and on the third day be raised up. At this Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying: “Be kind to yourself, Lord; you will not have this happen to you at all.� But turning his back, he said to Peter: “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you think, not God’s thoughts, but those of men.� - Matthew 16:21-23.

Are you saying that what happened to Jesus didn't happen at all?

marco
Savant

Post #254

Post by marco »

myth-one.com wrote:

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)
John's not quite correct: it is harder to lay down your life for folk you don't know. It would not be too hard to lay down your life if you were convinced you'd get it back a few days later.

The Catholic priest Father Kolbe gave up his life in a concentration camp, to suffer death by starvation, so that some stranger could return to his family. In every respect this sacrifice was greater than the artificial one offered by Jesus though Father Kolbe himself would not have thought so. In addition the priest didn't appeal to God to remove his burden, as Christ did.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #255

Post by myth-one.com »

marco wrote:
myth-one.com wrote: Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)
John's not quite correct: it is harder to lay down your life for folk you don't know.
Jesus and John understood correctly that He laid down His life for friend and foe equally:
John 3:16 wrote:For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)
In John 15:13, Jesus was talking only to His disciples:
John 15 wrote:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
marco wrote:It would not be too hard to lay down your life if you were convinced you'd get it back a few days later.
No, that form of death was extremely hard and painful under any condition.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #256

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 252 by 2timothy316]

The dead stay dead. They don't dip out for less than 72 hours and come back better than new.

The accounts portray a suffering that's beyond insignificant compared to that described for even one person in hell.

I'll take Jesus's suffering divided by the billions Christianity consigns to everlasting torture. I've had gas pain that represents a higher degree of discomfort.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #257

Post by 2timothy316 »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 252 by 2timothy316]

The dead stay dead. They don't dip out for less than 72 hours and come back better than new.
According to scripture it can be done. “Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out.� John 5:28, 29
The accounts portray a suffering that's beyond insignificant compared to that described for even one person in hell.
According to scripture there is no hell. Ecc 9:5
I'll take Jesus's suffering divided by the billions Christianity consigns to everlasting torture. I've had gas pain that represents a higher degree of discomfort.
Only the righteous have everlasting life. There is no promise of everlasting life for the wicked. Only the promise of everlasting cutting off from life. Matt 25:46

postroad
Prodigy

Post #258

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 256 by 2timothy316]

The wonders of the Bible. No hell! Super! Seeing that there is no one righteous then we all die. Sounds about right.

I'm getting pretty much fed up with the inconsistency of Christian belief.

It seems that the new covenant isn't the unity of thought and action it was advertised as.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #259

Post by myth-one.com »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 256 by 2timothy316]

The wonders of the Bible. No hell! Super! Seeing that there is no one righteous then we all die. Sounds about right.

I'm getting pretty much fed up with the inconsistency of Christian belief.

It seems that the new covenant isn't the unity of thought and action it was advertised as.
Actually, the Bible is "advertised" to be sealed from mankind's understanding.
Daniel 12:4 wrote:But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end:
Isaiah 29 wrote:11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

Tcg
Savant

Post #260

Post by Tcg »

myth-one.com wrote:
Actually, the Bible is "advertised" to be sealed from mankind's understanding.

And yet here you are claiming to understand Daniel 12:4 and Isaiah 29:11,12.

Unless you are an AI of some sort (meaning not part of mankind), this line of reasoning dies due to it's own logical inconsistency.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom