Post by EBA »

Tell me, what is "The Good News?"

Peace be to all.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #261

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 258 by myth-one.com]

Considering that Daniel indicated that the scroll was sealed until the time of the end, what would the first century readers have made of this text?

Revelation 22:10-13 New International Version (NIV)

10 Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, because the time is near. 11 Let the one who does wrong continue to do wrong; let the vile person continue to be vile; let the one who does right continue to do right; and let the holy person continue to be holy.�

Epilogue: Invitation and Warning
12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Seems like an instruction to stop proselytizing and Jesus's personal guarantee that he was coming almost immediately.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #262

Post by 2timothy316 »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 256 by 2timothy316]

The wonders of the Bible. No hell! Super! Seeing that there is no one righteous then we all die. Sounds about right.

I'm getting pretty much fed up with the inconsistency of Christian belief.

It seems that the new covenant isn't the unity of thought and action it was advertised as.
While real Christianity is unified, there is another 'advertisement' in the Bible that is largely ignored. That being, there is only one road or correct path to life and that the majority of people can't find it or refuse to follow it.

“Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it.� (Matthew 7:13, 14)

In short, the Christianity being presented people today that 'all roads lead to God' is scripturally unsupported.

While Ecclesiastes 7:20 says "For there is no righteous man on earth who always does good and never sins." Unrighteousness is not what makes us grow old and die. Abraham was called righteous by Jehovah God but he still grew old and died. Moses too was considered righteous, but again he died as well. "Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin." (Romans 5:12-14). It was Adam's rebellion that passed on death to his offspring. Our righteousness alone can't stop death because Adam put a curse on mankind that we can't remove. The Good News of the Kingdom is that Jesus' death has paved the way to reverse that effect.
1 Corinthians 15:21 says, "For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive." Only through the paying off of Adam's transgression can the God of perfect legal justice forgive the perfect life that was tossed away by Adam. Perfect life for perfect live. Even a trillion of people that only live 80 years can't pay for a single life that lives forever. It's like a person that owes you for something yet it's value is priceless and gives you $80 bucks.

This debt of Adam's sin, while it has been paid, the effects have not been applied to mankind. There are some things that need to happen first before such a huge gift is given to mankind.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #263

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 261 by 2timothy316]

Christianity is a repackaged failed prophecy from 2500 years ago. In fact if Christianity is correct one must acknowledge that the initial promises will never be fulfilled. So Christianity is based on the premise that God lied to the Jews but is not doing so now.

And that in spite the fact that his fulfillment is 2000 years late.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #264

Post by 2timothy316 »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 261 by 2timothy316]

Christianity is a repackaged failed prophecy from 2500 years ago. In fact if Christianity is correct one must acknowledge that the initial promises will never be fulfilled. So Christianity is based on the premise that God lied to the Jews but is not doing so now.

And that in spite the fact that his fulfillment is 2000 years late.
What was not fulfilled? Or are you just expressing opinion?

postroad
Prodigy

Post #265

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 263 by 2timothy316]

All these texts from the Hebrew Scriptures that speak of a renewed and everlasting relationship with God, their original prophecy and audience were to the generation that went into exile in Babylon and who returned under Cyrus.

There is no reason to doubt that they were the intended recipients other than the fact that they didn't receive it.

Failed prophecy turned into progressive revelation and those new covenant promises were recycled 500 years later and have become Christianity.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #266

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 264 by postroad]

Books like Daniel and Isaiah have two fold prophecies. A short term fulfillment and also a broader scale prophecy to be fulfilled later. Is there a prophecy in particular you'd like to examine?

postroad
Prodigy

Post #267

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 265 by 2timothy316]

You mean a short term failure and a unfulfillable future?

Ezekiel 37:20-28 New International Version (NIV)

20 Hold before their eyes the sticks you have written on 21 and say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will take the Israelites out of the nations where they have gone. I will gather them from all around and bring them back into their own land. 22 I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel. There will be one king over all of them and they will never again be two nations or be divided into two kingdoms. 23 They will no longer defile themselves with their idols and vile images or with any of their offenses, for I will save them from all their sinful backsliding,[a] and I will cleanse them. They will be my people, and I will be their God.

24 “‘My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd. They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees. 25 They will live in the land I gave to my servant Jacob, the land where your ancestors lived. They and their children and their children’s children will live there forever, and David my servant will be their prince forever. 26 I will make a covenant of peace with them; it will be an everlasting covenant. I will establish them and increase their numbers, and I will put my sanctuary among them forever. 27 My dwelling place will be with them; I will be their God, and they will be my people. 28 Then the nations will know that I the Lord make Israel holy, when my sanctuary is among them forever.’�

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #268

Post by JehovahsWitness »

postroad wrote:
24 “‘My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd. They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees. 25 They will live in the land I gave to my servant Jacob, the land where your ancestors lived. They and their children and their children’s children will live there forever, and David my servant will be their prince forever. 26 I will make a covenant of peace with them; it will be an everlasting covenant. I will establish them and increase their numbers, and I will put my sanctuary among them forever. 27 My dwelling place will be with them; I will be their God, and they will be my people. 28 Then the nations will know that I the Lord make Israel holy, when my sanctuary is among them forever.’�

Jehovahs Witnesses believe this refers to Jesus Christ and is a prophecy about his kingdom rule.

While Jesus "shepherded" faithful believers on earth when he walked as a man, his kingship we believe began in 1914. Since that year he has united his people to enjoy many spiritual blessings. In the future the blessing will, we believe, be extended to include physical blessings as well when under his messianic rule when the whole earth will be a paradise!

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES call this "The good news of the kingdom"!

JW

FURTHER READING David My Servant Will Be Their Chieftain Forever�
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102017168#h=28

RELATED POSTS

Did Jesus fulfill the Messianic prophecies?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 204#851204

Did Jesus ever actually become a king?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 936#930936

What is God's kingdom and what will it do?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 788#835788
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

postroad
Prodigy

Post #269

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 267 by JehovahsWitness]

What significance does the Law and the Levitical priesthood play in the JW Paradise?

How could anybody from the JW insist they meet the requirements for the 144 000?

Revelation 14:1-5 New International Version (NIV)

The Lamb and the 144,000
14 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads. 2 And I heard a sound from heaven like the roar of rushing waters and like a loud peal of thunder. The sound I heard was like that of harpists playing their harps. 3 And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders. No one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. 4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they remained virgins. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among mankind and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb. 5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #270

Post by JehovahsWitness »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 267 by JehovahsWitness]

What significance does the Law and the Levitical priesthood play in the JW Paradise?

I don't know because I don't know what a... "JW Paradise" is.

Sorry,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8