Would you stone the man described in Numbers 15?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Would you stone the man described in Numbers 15?

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

Consider this story from Numbers 15:32-36(NRSV):
When the Israelites were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the sabbath day. Those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses, Aaron, and to the whole congregation. They put him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him outside the camp.� The whole congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death, just as the Lord had commanded Moses.
Question for Debate: If you were there with these Israelites, would you stone this man in obedience to Moses and to Yahweh?

Keep in mind that this man may have been gathering sticks to build a fire to cook for for his family and to keep them warm. After the Bible god had him killed, any wife he had would be left a widow and any children he had would be left without a father to provide for them. They would be left cold, hungry, and facing poverty. Any friends he had among the Israelites would be obligated to kill their friend.

Despite these consequences of Yahweh's order to stone the man to death, all the Jews and by extension all Christians coming later must obey the Bible god. Any objections you have to this cruel act are nothing to Yahweh and may even result in a similar punishment for disobedience to him. You have a god you must believe in and obey without question and without reason.

I predict that few if any of the Christians here will answer this question honestly and sensibly. To post such an answer is to expose Christian beliefs for what they are.

Tcg
Savant

Post #101

Post by Tcg »

PinSeeker wrote: "National security"??? Who's arguing that? My goodness.

1213 is in post 92:

And when people begin to undermine the authority of the rulers, they also begin to undermine the order of the nation. And when that happens, it can lead to destruction of the whole nation.

In Biblical point of view it happens also, because then the people lose the blessings that were promised and the nation becomes weak and can be destroyed by other nations.
Nothing unclear in these statements.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #102

Post by Mithrae »

PinSeeker wrote:
Mithrae wrote:On the other hand if we assume that being a 'good' god is something more along the lines of being a good parent, providing lessons and guidance appropriate to the culture's or individual's current stage of development...
This is a little closer to the case, but still quite a good distance off.
Intentionally so (I'm glad someone noticed that), because the orthodox Christian perspective on the bible, the Pentateuch and "God's plan" is too full of absurdities and contradictions for me to try to play devil's advocate with. Interesting though that both you and Rikuo below snipped the end of that sentence; perhaps neither happy with the idea that we're scarcely in a position to judge the merits or evils of the scenario one way or the other.

#####

rikuoamero wrote:
If we assume that being a 'good' god involves creating a paradise on earth without any effort, thought or consequence on humanity's part, then I think we can all agree that the story was not in any way written or inspired by that kind of deity.
That is the world described in the first few chapters of the book called Genesis. A paradise on Earth without any effort, thought or consequence on humanity's part.
That's how fundamentalists view it, sure (aside from the 'no consequences' part). Alternatively, a good case might be made that the early Genesis stories originated as an allegory for the loss of natural innocence and keen awareness of mortality which accompanied human intelligence and the transition from nomadic gather to sedentary agricultural societies.
rikuoamero wrote:
On the other hand if we assume that being a 'good' god is something more along the lines of being a good parent, providing lessons and guidance appropriate to the culture's or individual's current stage of development, then without a good answer to the question above the story really doesn't tell us anything one way or the other about divine inspiration.
The analogy falls apart though because parents generally speaking don't kill their kids for violating petty commands. Indeed it is the killing that would prevent the learning.
It is the stupidity of rule-through-fear and petty authoritarianism that indicates to me the childish level of thought involved in this legal situation. I wouldn't believe Trump was displaying grand intelligence and wisdom if he said that US citizens had to obey even the most petty and mundane of his orders or they'll be put in front of a firing squad.
Trump lives in the 21st century, not the bronze age. It's easy to adopt an attitude of self-righteous condescension towards the less advanced folk of earlier generations, but I don't see how it is in any way helpful. Odds are that future generations of humans will view our societies as primitive and brutish too, President Trump notwithstanding. However the question is whether the 'law of Moses' was better and more optimal compared to contemporary models from other cultures, in terms of promoting law and order, deterrence from crime, building social cohesion and generally promoting the people's well-being. If it were better - even just one or two steps in the right direction - then it would be consistent with the assumption that being a 'good' god is like being a good parent, providing lessons and guidance appropriate to the culture's or individual's current stage of development rather handing them everything on a silver platter.
rikuoamero wrote:
They also obviously had a strong vested interest in not killing off their own people needlessly.
Wouldn't killing someone over picking up sticks fall under that heading anyway, of killing needlessly?
Maybe, though the authors obviously didn't think so. I don't know and I don't pretend to know the real 'truth' of the matter. You apparently think that you do know; I'm just pointing out some reasons why you might be wrong, some questions which you really haven't answered.

I think we can agree that probably the three main pillars of law and order in the depicted Israelite society were social cohesion promoting common purpose and common feeling/empathy with those who would suffer from criminals' actions, an ideal of holiness or moral guidance and inspiration in the form of a supposedly loving God, and deterrence from crime in the form of comparatively harsh punishments. The command being violated in Numbers 15 is not "Don't pick up sticks," it was "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy" (Exodus 20). This seems to deeply reflect elements of both social cohesion - it would be a day on which all Israelites and resident foreigners would reflect on their shared obedience to Yahweh - and holiness. In fact it was probably the most profound expression and strengthener of social cohesion they had, and second only to having no other gods in terms of expressing and strengthening their devotion to holiness/Yahweh also.

Dishonouring the Sabbath was not just 'picking up some sticks'; it could be viewed (and by the authors apparently was viewed) as flipping a middle digit at two of the most important pillars of law and order in their society, a litmus test for what kind of person this is, as it were. How can you claim that it would be needless or pointless to reflect a similarly strong deterrent message in response to that violation?
rikuoamero wrote: It might surprise you to learn that I actually agree with pretty much everything you said there. I can certainly understand the harshness of life 'back then', and how social cohesion was such a paramount concern that any threat to it would be met with harsh reprisals.
The reason people like myself call this "stupid, barbaric" or other similar terms is to highlight how it would most certainly be the case coming from an all knowing and all powerful god who is supposedly there to love and protect his chosen people.
If I had a group of people who worshipped me, obeyed my laws and were eager to learn from me, I'd do a better job at teaching law than what Yahweh in Numbers 15 apparently taught - give a command against a mundane action and declare the simple but harsh punishment of death by stoning.
I'm sure that's a firmly-held opinion, but without any evidence that's really all it is. One of the most interesting and recurring themes in the Pentateuch is the message that all people belong to the same family (despite the alleged sins and 'need' to commit genocide on some specific nations); all people were viewed as descendants of Adam, descendants of Noah, and for many of the nations around Israel descendants of Shem or even Abraham himself. Another interesting and recurring theme is a particular concern shown for the poor and vulnerable.
  • Exodus 22:21 “Do not mistreat or oppress a foreigner, for you were foreigners in Egypt. 22 Do not take advantage of the widow or the fatherless. 23 If you do and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry. 24 My anger will be aroused, and I will kill you with the sword; your wives will become widows and your children fatherless. 25 If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not treat it like a business deal; charge no interest. 26 If you take your neighbor’s cloak as a pledge, return it by sunset, 27 because that cloak is the only covering your neighbor has. What else can they sleep in? When they cry out to me, I will hear, for I am compassionate.
Even in the 21st century, even in enlightened America, such notions of brotherhood between all races, respect for resident aliens and compassion for the vulnerable and needy are often not particularly evident, I'm sure you would agree: Often the most visible attitudes seem to be precisely the opposite! There's been no shortage of people trying to generally encourage or even specifically outline why and how we should improve ourselves, but it seems that aggregate human nature is a rather stubborn thing; the problem may not be a lack of conceptually better models, but the pragmatic facts of people not following them. If anything, much if not all of our social progress can be correlated to technological changes improving interconnectedness and understanding much better than to novel ideas for society.

Are you that much better than anyone else who has ever tried to make the world a better place - people whose plans and inspiration provide a shining example but who, ultimately, have had relatively little effect discernable from technological changes - that you could provide a societal model whereby bronze age savages achieve things that in many respects we're still struggling with even given 21st century technologies?

Again, if we're talking about more of a 'parental guidance' idea of god, imagining that you would just hand the Israelites advanced technologies or be constantly intervening to keep their society on track would make you a bad god, ultimately stunting their potential and growth. You can give them a societal model and some initial impetus, maybe even a direct or indirect course correction every century or so, but that's about it. Ultimately, the fact remains that the people you're trying to guide are still bronze age savages in a bronze age world (as if 21st century savages would be a whole lot better without our technology). Would you adopt some approach other than a model of social cohesion, holiness and deterrence? Or do you just think that you might be able to get away with a little less deterrence, even for violations which undermine the first two pillars?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #103

Post by PinSeeker »

Tcg wrote:1213 is in post 92:
And when people begin to undermine the authority of the rulers, they also begin to undermine the order of the nation. And when that happens, it can lead to destruction of the whole nation.
I don't see any problem with this. Do you not think it's destructive -- self-destructive, really -- or a nation to not enforce and/or ignore its own laws?
In Biblical point of view it happens also, because then the people lose the blessings that were promised and the nation becomes weak and can be destroyed by other nations.
Yeah, this is a kind of a silly statement.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #104

Post by PinSeeker »

Mithrae wrote:the orthodox Christian perspective on the bible, the Pentateuch and "God's plan" is too full of absurdities and contradictions for me to try to play devil's advocate with.
In your opinion. "Absurdities" and "contradictions"... that's your opinion. Yeah, we're very clear on that. There are no "absurdities" or contradictions. You can call that my opinion if you want; I'm quite sure you will. But from a human perspective it's no less valid than yours, and from a Biblical perspective it's infinitely more so.
Mithrae wrote:Again, if we're talking about more of a 'parental guidance' idea of god, imagining that you would just hand the Israelites advanced technologies or be constantly intervening to keep their society on track would make you a bad god, ultimately stunting their potential and growth.
Except that's not what happened at all. I mean, we can only go so far with this, but a "good father" would always be present, never leaving the child completely alone -- never leaving or forsaking the child, to put it Biblically -- and constantly drawing the child back to himself -- Himself -- when he or she makes a mess of things as a child is prone to do (which the Israelites did, over and over and over again). In this way, the child learns from his/her mistakes. Which seems to be somewhat your train of thought, as evidenced by this statement:
  • "You can give them a societal model and some initial impetus, maybe even a direct or indirect course correction..."
Mithrae wrote:Ultimately, the fact remains that the people you're trying to guide are still bronze age savages in a bronze age world (as if 21st century savages would be a whole lot better without our technology).
The principles and the lessons themselves are timeless. It's not just merely... woodenly... exactly what happened then as opposed to exactly what happens today, but rather the reasons for why things happened then compared to the reasons for why things happen today, and what the real Solution always is. In this way they are as relevant today as they were 2500 years ago, "bronze age" or "information age."
Mithrae wrote:Would you adopt some approach other than a model of social cohesion, holiness and deterrence? Or do you just think that you might be able to get away with a little less deterrence, even for violations which undermine the first two pillars?
That's a fairly good question, I guess. Maybe I might opt for number 2. But it really doesn't matter what I would do, does it? Father knows best... the Father always knows best. Then and now... and always. Far be it from me to be wise in my own eyes.

Tcg
Savant

Post #105

Post by Tcg »

PinSeeker wrote:
I don't see any problem with this. Do you not think it's destructive -- self-destructive, really -- or a nation to not enforce and/or ignore its own laws?

I pointed out 1213's posts to answer your challenge to William's question to those who claimed the issue is a matter of national security.

Given that the words I quoted are not mine, any question you have about them will need to be directed to the author of them. That would be 1213.

Good luck with your quest.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Would you stone the man described in Numbers 15?

Post #106

Post by Jagella »

PinSeeker wrote:
Jagella wrote:But would you really? If the man to be executed was your father, brother, son, or good friend, would you still stone him? And what if that man was you--would you approve of your being executed?
Yes. If I was personally very close to him, I would have been profoundly sad to do it, but I would have approved. And by the way, approval and delight are two very different things. It's very possible to take absolutely no delight in something but approve of it at the same time.
So you would approve of your own family being stoned to death if they broke a law of your religion. You would even participate in the execution.

I can see why my arguments against the barbarism of Christian faith and the Bible don't work. If people approve of barbarism, then they don't care if their religion is barbaric.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: Would you stone the man described in Numbers 15?

Post #107

Post by PinSeeker »

Jagella wrote:So you would approve of your own family being stoned to death if they broke a law of your religion. You would even participate in the execution.
Back then, yes. Not at all happily, but yes. Now, most certainly not. What's exactly the same today as it was then is the wrongness of and disapproval concerning sin. What is not the same today as it was then (because of what happened 2000+ years ago, Jesus having paid the wages of sin on our behalf) is the worldly consequences of sin. I've been very clear on that.
Jagella wrote:I can see why my arguments against the barbarism of Christian faith and the Bible don't work.
Right, because they're idiotic.
Jagella wrote:If people approve of barbarism, then they don't care if their religion is barbaric.
But that's just it. No Christian today would approve of said "barbarism." That's why everything you say falls flat on it's face.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #108

Post by PinSeeker »

Tcg wrote:
PinSeeker wrote:
Ah, so you agree with the first half of my response (and 1213's), that it is destructive/self-destructive for a nation not to enforce and/or ignore its own laws. Thank you.

Tcg wrote:I pointed out 1213's posts to answer your challenge to William's question to those who claimed the issue is a matter of national security.

Given that the words I quoted are not mine, any question you have about them will need to be directed to the author of them. That would be 1213.

No need; I have no questions for anybody. I just pointed out that what he said in the second half of your quote (which you conveniently snipped here because it would ruin the narrative you want to perpetuate) was silly. If anybody wants to address that with me, they're more than welcome to. Thanks for the well wishes, though.

Tcg
Savant

Post #109

Post by Tcg »

PinSeeker wrote:
Tcg wrote:
PinSeeker wrote:
Ah, so you agree with the first half of my response (and 1213's), that it is destructive/self-destructive for a nation not to enforce and/or ignore its own laws. Thank you.

You just quoted yourself and thanked me for agreeing with you.

Tcg wrote:I pointed out 1213's posts to answer your challenge to William's question to those who claimed the issue is a matter of national security.

No need; I have no questions for anybody.

That's an odd claim given that you asked me a question which initiated this exchange.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #110

Post by William »

[Replying to post 103 by PinSeeker]
But it really doesn't matter what I would do, does it? Father knows best... the Father always knows best. Then and now... and always. Far be it from me to be wise in my own eyes.
Father does not want you to put you big-person pants on and use wisely the device of critical thinking? Father just wants you to get all your wisdom from a book others claim that Father wrote?

[I wonder what Mother thinks of that.]

Perhaps when you stand before Father and Father asks you to present your wisdom and you say, "The Bible is my wisdom Father.", Father might tell you he does not know you and orders you to depart from Him and go learn wisdom for your self, and don't return until you have.

That would be something wisdom would have one consider as a possibility. You got it wrong because you listened to the wrong voices, because 'self responsibility' was not required.