A civil debate forum for people of all persuasions (Atheists, Agnostics, Deists, Christians, and adherents of any religion)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic
whoaaaa
First Post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 am  Copyright-Movie Piracy? Reply with quote

hey guys, I'm new in this forum.. and I'm a man who want to learn more about the topic above..

I've seen ur thought on the topics before which were also about piracy.. but I'm not sure, if I'm continuing the topic in their thread, will someone read it or not, that's why I'm posting a new one.. Smile

Yeah, it's pretty much the same, I want to know what you guys think about MOVIE Piracy itself..?

but, to let you guys know, I promise will read and give response to each of your thought.. especially ur feedback..Smile

hope the conclusion from this thread can help us latter on, either you and me..Smile
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 11: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:14 pm
Re: Copyright-Movie Piracy?

Like this post
whoaaaa wrote:

hey guys, I'm new in this forum.. and I'm a man who want to learn more about the topic above..

I've seen ur thought on the topics before which were also about piracy.. but I'm not sure, if I'm continuing the topic in their thread, will someone read it or not, that's why I'm posting a new one.. Smile

Yeah, it's pretty much the same, I want to know what you guys think about MOVIE Piracy itself..?

but, to let you guys know, I promise will read and give response to each of your thought.. especially ur feedback..Smile

hope the conclusion from this thread can help us latter on, either you and me..Smile

Whenever I rent a movie and see that idiotic notice suggesting that piracy harms the economy I can't help but laugh. It's ridiculous on the face of it. When these movie producers have the FBI extriditing people from foreign countries back to the US to face criminal charges, I know I'm living in a plutocratic prison.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 12: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:22 pm
Re: Copyright-Movie Piracy?

Like this post
shnarkle wrote:

whoaaaa wrote:

Whenever I rent a movie and see that idiotic notice suggesting that piracy harms the economy I can't help but laugh. It's ridiculous on the face of it. When these movie producers have the FBI extriditing people from foreign countries back to the US to face criminal charges, I know I'm living in a plutocratic prison.

The weird thing is that on DVDs/Blu-rays here in Ireland, sometimes I get FBI warnings for some reason. Anyway, time for my two cents... I know, I'm quoting somebody from years ago who isn't active anymore...

Quote:
If I need to illustrate this, it's like you're living in a house, it's your house, you've the full ownership in it. But since you're living alone in a house with too many empty rooms, you decided to rent out some of your empty room, maybe it can increase your monthly income. One day, some people coming in, you ask them, "do you KNOW if you want to USE this room, you need to pay?" He replies, "yes of course." then he sleep there, take a bath there, do everything there, as if it's his home. Then one day, the you come and ask him for the money, "I rent out this room, so if you want to use it, you need to pay for it."

The analogy does not work when it comes to online distribution, which is infinite in scale. In meat space, your house has a finite number of rooms, which only a finite number of people can make use of. It costs you time and money to maintain the rooms, so I would agree with you that you should get a return on the house.
But a game or a movie...? Once it's done, it's done.
I don't think piracy has ever actually hurt the industry at all. I can actually cite a real world case where it helped - my best friend since we were teenagers taught himself (and then later went to college to get his degree) 3D animation. When we were kids, he pirated 3D animation software, which do cost hundreds or thousands of euros. Once he got his degree and then a job, he started paying for it, and is now in the movie industry.
Yours truly has pirated terabytes over the years and yet my Steam library alone is valued at 4,560 euros (according to steamdb.info).

Quote:
Yeah but there is a big problem with your model: Forcing me and your fellow citizens to protect your property is unfair. That is the first injustice in this issue and it deserves to be remedied first before worrying about Fairness(tm) or Empathy(tm) for movie makers as defined by a bloated legal industry no less.

Exactly. I'm actually of the opinion that the very law (copyright) is mis-named. There is no right actually given to you or granted to you (or whatever terminology one would normally use). Instead, what I think it should be is "copy-restriction", because if you have a copyright over a movie, (let's say Disney having the copyright over Steamboat Willie), what it means is that you are restricting everyone else from distributing, copying or speaking your work. I look at it from a free speech perspective.

Goto top, bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter