Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

The 'holy spirit'

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

Belief in the so called 'holy spirit' can cause some people mental health problems in my experience. When I was a kid attending the awful Pentecostal church to which my family belonged, the services would often be interrupted by members of the congregation who started talking gobbledegook, aka speaking in tongues! No one knew what they were on about, and it was hard not to giggle, they were being so stupid! The 'Toronto Blessing' was a disgraceful performance where some of the participants were supposed to have barked liked dogs. If any of that craziness had anything to do with god, it must have been having a laugh at the expense of those poor deluded people!

Being 'spirit filled', isn't an asset but an encumbrance, especially when the afflicted people make idiots of themselves in front of others, as frequently happens.

marco
Savant

Re: The 'holy spirit'

Post #2

Post by marco »

JJ50 wrote:
Being 'spirit filled', isn't an asset but an encumbrance, especially when the afflicted people make idiots of themselves in front of others, as frequently happens.
I suppose it's a name for the warm feeling that one has arrived at the gates of understanding. We give credit for our intelligence to the Holy Spirit, who has imparted wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety and fear of the Lord, all in special containers. We soon discover that these containers are mighty hard to unlock.

As a boy I sang "Veni creator Spiritus," and later discovered I was inviting the Spirit to invade my soul and make it his own, to do with as he wished. I feel a little sympathy for this Third Person in that he seems to be an afterthought, as unworthy of Paradise as poor, lame Vulcan.

However, I don't see the point of mocking one aspect of Christian mythology while embracing a host of other absurdities. Baby Jesus, meek and mild, is nice nonsense too.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JJ50 »

marco wrote:
JJ50 wrote:

I suppose it's a name for the warm feeling that one has arrived at the gates of understanding. We give credit for our intelligence to the Holy Spirit, who has imparted wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety and fear of the Lord, all in special containers. We soon discover that these containers are mighty hard to unlock.

As a boy I sang "Veni creator Spiritus," and later discovered I was inviting the Spirit to invade my soul and make it his own, to do with as he wished. I feel a little sympathy for this Third Person in that he seems to be an afterthought, as unworthy of Paradise as poor, lame Vulcan.

However, I don't see the point of mocking one aspect of Christian mythology while embracing a host of other absurdities. Baby Jesus, meek and mild, is nice nonsense too.

I think that is a silly phrase!

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #5

Post by Dimmesdale »

[Replying to post 1 by JJ50]

I think there does exist such a thing as grace. But I have tremendous doubts that it is imparted by the Holy Ghost to Christians in "born again" experiences in which they are "saved." I think this sort of feeling is a sappy, syrupy excuse to "throw one's cares away on Jesus' shoulder's" and accept the "Cross" as supreme. I think this is a sign of weakness, not blessedness.