Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

God and gods

Post #1

Post by historia »

Stephen F. Roberts wrote:
I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Questions for debate: Is this quote accurate? Is the difference between the concept of God and the concept of gods simply a difference in number (one vs. many)? When atheists and skeptics combine the two into the short-hand "God(s)," are they making a category error?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by Zzyzx »

Moderator Intervention

Remarks in this thread are becoming a bit too personal

Let's debate the TOPIC with fewer comments directed toward other members on a personal level.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

dio9
Under Probation

Post #32

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 22 by Tcg]

I guess I don't know exactly what you don't believe.. I don't believe there is a pantheon of gods. I only believe in the God revealed by Jesus Christ. And until proven wrong believe the God of all monotheists is the same God.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #33

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 23 by William]

Basically I'm saying there is only one omnipresent God but lots of opinions . Like the Buddha I dismiss the opinions and believe the peace human goodness wisdom and virtue he came to embody is the image of God.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #34

Post by dio9 »

Tcg wrote:
William wrote: [Replying to post 21 by dio9]
I don't think I believe in the gods you atheists don't believe in either.
I think I get the gist of what you say here. You understand non-theist ideas of GOD to be shallow and worthless misrepresentations of Theist ideas of GOD.

If that is the meaning behind your words, I get you and generally agree with your sentiment.

I've never met an idea of gods, god, God, G_d, gOD, GoD, goD, or GOD that I didn't understand. If the ideas presented by theists about their gods, god, God, G_d, gOD, GoD, goD, or GOD are shallow and worthless, it is a result of the shallow and worthless ideas of gods, god, God, G_d, gOD, GoD, goD, or GOD being presented.

Tcg
Like I said guru I don't believe in the gods you don't believe in either.

dio9
Under Probation

Re: God and gods

Post #35

Post by dio9 »

Zzyzx wrote: .
historia wrote: We know from Greek and Hindu mythology, for example, that the gods emerged from the created world.
What about the other two thousand or so proposed 'gods'?

Can anyone legitimately claim the following without knowledge of the competing gods?
historia wrote: The "gods," by contrast, do not transcend nature, but rather are thought to have emerged from it. They are conceived of as just higher or more powerful beings within the created order.
Historia you are mistaken Hindu mythology holds there is a supreme creator God .

otseng
Savant

Post #36

Post by otseng »

PinSeeker wrote: You know, Tcg, every word of every post you make is saturated and just drips with utter disdain, bitterness, and hatefulness. Questioning the beliefs of others is fine, but the communication of that disdain and hate really communicates more about the speaker than anything or anyone else. Just a word of exhortation to you, man. But hey, leave the legacy you want to leave, by all means. Peace.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Please leave out the "words of exhortation".

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Tcg
Savant

Post #37

Post by Tcg »

dio9 wrote:

Like I said guru I don't believe in the gods you don't believe in either.

But you do. As you stated previously:

I only believe in the God revealed by Jesus Christ.

The god you admit believing in is one of the gods. Capitalization doesn't change your god into something other than a god. Likewise, the fact that some gods are presented as the creator and some aren't doesn't change the fact that they are all gods.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

marco
Savant

Re: God and gods

Post #38

Post by marco »

historia wrote:

My point, again, is that the concept of God and the concept of the gods are different and have different epistemic support. Whether either or both is true or not has no bearing on that point.

Your suggestion is interesting but not true in any obvious manner. Yahweh is as much an invention as the Greek gods. He magically manifests himself on mountains and so shares the ability the Greek gods had of coming and going on earth. Instead of being surrounded by minor deities, he has supernatural entities, angels, not of this world, for company. Angels are sent as messengers, like Hermes, to do the deity's bidding. It is odd that one would suggest there is any conceptual difference between Yahweh and the Greek divinities. It is rather artificial to suggest a capital letter makes a massive difference.
Last edited by marco on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Post #39

Post by William »

[Replying to post 33 by dio9]
Basically I'm saying there is only one omnipresent God but lots of opinions . Like the Buddha I dismiss the opinions and believe the peace human goodness wisdom and virtue he came to embody is the image of God.
And that is your particular image of a GOD.

My own isn't far removed from that, but I recognize at least one GOD evident (The Earth Herself) who represents The one omnipresent GOD (whom I refer to as The First Source) in relation to Human Beings.

My impression of Human Beings, currently, is that the majority nether recognize The First Source nor The Earth Entity and this is evident in their collective behavior. Whether they refer to themselves as theists or non-theists has no bearing on that. Their imaging of GOD misses the mark.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #40

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to William]

Yes my image of God is a man and a woman together, like Adam and Eve.