Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Frightened to question their faith

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

Why do many extreme Biblical literalists seem so scared of questioning their faith? I suspect they are concerned that if instead of blindly accepting it all as true, they allowed a question or two to creep in, they might find that their belief lacked any substance! I also wonder if Christian fundamentalists hang onto their faith as a form of fire insurance as they are terrified of the consequences if they kick it into touch?

I am so glad I started questioning my Christian fundamentalist beliefs as an older teenager, and realised that it lacked any credibility. I lost my faith completely by the time I married at the age of 19, and haven't missed it.

I will always challenge those who try to force their fundamentalist beliefs on others with threats of hellfire etc on those who don't get 'saved', as I think that is very abusive, especially if aimed at children and the vulnerable. I have no problem with moderate Christians who have a live and let live approach their faith.

Savant

Re: Frightened to question their faith

Post #21

Post by 1213 »

JJ50 wrote: How can you trust something, which might not exist?
Ok, I understand that if person doesn’t believe, he doesn’t trust. But if we were talking about Christians, I think it can be assumed they believe. And if they believe in God, I think they should also trust to God. Person who doesn’t trust to God, does not probably really believe in God.

Meaning of the word trust, “to believe that someone is good and honest and will not harm you, or that something is safe and reliable�:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... lish/trust

I think trust is possible only to matters that are not 100 % sure. If thing is absolutely sure, then it is known and no trust/belief needed.

I have no doubt God exists and things will go as the Bible tells. :)

Reasons for me to trust are for example that I have seen things already happen as the Bible tells. But even if I would not have seen, I would put my trust on God, because He is good and only hope.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by PinSeeker »

Faith in God an assurance of God and is itself a gift of God. So for the Christian, in one sense, questioning his/her faith is tantamount to questioning God Himself. And in another sense, it is very much like questioning, though he can smell, whether he has a nose or not.
  • "How can you trust something that might not exist?"
Well, how can I not trust something that I know does exist and that by Whom every word spoken is true?

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

JJ50 wrote: Why do many extreme Biblical literalists seem so scared of questioning their faith?

I don't think this characteristic is limited to extreme Biblical literalists. Many Christians have revealed their battle with Faith versus Doubt.

It seems to me that they fear if they address their doubt directly and follow it to it's roots, they'll uncover the reality that their faith is built on astonishingly slim evidence.

Faith is their only bulwark against this realization and therefore cling to it tightly in hopes that it will chase the doubt away. Perhaps that works for some, but it seems that for many, doubt is boiling just below the surface of conscious recognition.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by Zzyzx »

There are multiple websites for Christians who question church beliefs and practices; sites for Ex-Christians; and even for pastors who no longer believe (some of whom have left their positions and some who still preach) http://clergyproject.org/
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

dio9
Under Probation

Post #25

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to JJ50]

That's what I'm saying. religion not always but can inhibit the neighborly good deed.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by PinSeeker »

Many Christians have revealed their battle with Faith versus Doubt.
Well, the human struggle is that nobody's belief in anything is perfect... And for the Christian -- even the most faithful of Christians -- his belief in God is not perfect. Everybody says, "Well, nobody is perfect," and that's very true, but many don't realize just how far that goes. Again, for the Christian, just like everything else about him, his belief is not perfect... his belief in God and Jesus and the Gospel, though there, is nowhere near perfect. A wise person once said (and it's been said many times since), "Once a person becomes a Christian, that's when the struggle -- actually the war within -- really begins." This is why Christians pray (or should), after the example of the man in Mark 9, "Lord, I do believe; help my unbelief."

It seems to me that they fear if they address their doubt directly and follow it to it's roots, they'll uncover the reality that their faith is built on astonishingly slim evidence.
This is totally false, but in a way -- in a way -- this is not too far from the truth. What Christians often fail to realize is that if they are bold enough to address their doubts directly, God will actually use that to strengthen their faith and assurance. And in the process, open his eyes to the overwhelming evidence of His... well, existence and assurance that His promises are true and will come to fruition. This is the work of God's Spirit in each believer. So yeah, rather than cowering from doubt, it should be embraced and countered with the Gospel. Like Jesus says in Matthew 19, Luke 18, with man this is impossible, but with God, all things are possible.
Faith is their only bulwark against this realization and therefore cling to it tightly in hopes that it will chase the doubt away.
Well, God Himself is the Bulwark. Like a good friend of mine said many times, "The main thing is to keep the Main Thing the main thing."