What is the difference between . . .

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

What is the difference between . . .

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

What is the difference between witch doctors, voodoo practitioners, and faith healers (including those described in Bible tales)?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: What is the difference between . . .

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

Zzyzx wrote: .
What is the difference between witch doctors, voodoo practitioners, and faith healers (including those described in Bible tales)?
Obviously the first two are no longer considered valid, or if they are thought to have real powers, then those powers are believed to be diabolical in origin. Faith healers, by contrast, do enjoy a lot of support from evangelical Christians and to some extent Roman Catholics as well. The Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary have taken a lot of business away from witch doctors. So as time progresses, many of us still engage in scams; just the names used by the scammers change.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by bjs »

[Replying to Zzyzx]

The source of their power (if they have any).
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

bjs wrote: The source of their power (if they have any).
Kindly identify the 'source of power', if any, of witch doctors, voodoo practitioners, and faith healers.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]
How they use their claimed abilities might be one difference, if indeed anyone could ascertain said differences were apparent.

What is the difference between "The Holy Spirit" and other Spirits? Same deal.

But first thing one should be able to establish is whether there is any difference in the magic/miraculous acts performed, which means one would need to find those who claim to be able to do so, and study what it is that they claim by seeing them perform the magic/miraculous, be they from the jungles or from the cities.

Once sufficient data has been accumulated from that process, one should be able to then organised that data in relation to the OPQ and perhaps find the answer therein.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

William wrote: But first thing one should be able to establish is whether there is any difference in the magic/miraculous acts performed, which means one would need to find those who claim to be able to do so, and study what it is that they claim by seeing them perform the magic/miraculous, be they from the jungles or from the cities.
For fifty years a million dollars was offered to anyone who could demonstrate paranormal ability (presumably including witching and healing). No success = 1000, success = 0.

“The One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge was an offer by the James Randi Educational Foundation to pay out one million U.S. dollars to anyone who can demonstrate a supernatural or paranormal ability under agreed-upon scientific testing criteria. A version of the challenge was first issued in 1964. Over a thousand people applied to take it, but none were successful.�
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Milli ... _Challenge

Next!
Non-Theist

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by liamconnor »

Source of power.

Christian faith healers call upon Christ.

I am not sure what witch doctors call upon; you would best ask an anthropologist who specializes in this. Christians will either deny their power or attribute it to demons. Obviously actual witch doctors will do neither; they might attribute their power to their dead ancestors, or to some underlying nexus between the spirit world and the natural realm.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JJ50 »

There is no difference whatsoever. Look at that scam merchant Benny Hinn, I believe he has claimed his 'healing' ministry has caused amputated limbs to grown back, like as if! :shock:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

WITCH DOCTOR

: a professional worker of magic usually in a primitive society who often works to cure sickness
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... h%20doctor
VOODOO PRIEST

Also known as a “houngan,� “papa� or “papaloa,� in the vodoun religion, this is a man who summons vodoun gods in order to divine the future or heal.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/voodoo+priest
FAITH HEALER

a person who cures sick people by using the power of prayer and belief
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... ith-healer
Zzyzx wrote: .
What is the difference between witch doctors, voodoo practitioners, and faith healers ....?

♦ANSWER Essentially none; all three call on supernatural (spiritististc) powers to perform feats although so called "faith healers" claim to be calling on the God of the bible.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

FURTHER READING Is Faith Healing Approved by God?
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1992400

RELATED POSTS

Why are there no spectacular miracles such as those described in the bible today ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 339#958339

Independent of God's word, are humans qualified to distinguish between good and bad spirits?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 019#928019
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

JW, according to the definitions you yourself provided, would it be incorrect of me to say that the Jesus Christ character of the New Testament is a witch doctor?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense