Is Logos actually just rational Speech?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

brianbbs67
Guru

Is Logos actually just rational Speech?

Post #1

Post by brianbbs67 »

I have heard this translation for Logos as "rational speech". That would end the John 1:1 debate altogether.

In beginning was rational speech, and rational speech was with God. And rational speech was of God. (the hint is, since Christ spoke rationally, he had Godly attributes)

What do y'all think? This was brought to my attention while taking a course from Hillsdale on line. Seems too open and subjective but maybe that's all we are meant to learn?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Is Logos actually just rational Speech?

Post #2

Post by Checkpoint »

brianbbs67 wrote: I have heard this translation for Logos as "rational speech". That would end the John 1:1 debate altogether.

In beginning was rational speech, and rational speech was with God. And rational speech was of God. (the hint is, since Christ spoke rationally, he had Godly attributes)

What do y'all think? This was brought to my attention while taking a course from Hillsdale on line. Seems too open and subjective but maybe that's all we are meant to learn?
The word "word" or "logos" has this meaning, according to HELPS Word-studies:
3056 lógos (from 3004 /lég�, "speaking to a conclusion") – a word, being the expression of a thought; a saying. 3056 /lógos ("word") is preeminently used of Christ (Jn 1:1), expressing the thoughts of the Father through the Spirit.

[3056 (lógos) is a common term (used 330 times in the NT) with regards to a person sharing a message (discourse, "communication-speech"). 3056 (lógos) is a broad term meaning "reasoning expressed by words."]
I suggest, like many words, it may be personified, but without taking it much further, into actual personal existence.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by liamconnor »

brianbbs67 wrote: I have heard this translation for Logos as "rational speech". That would end the John 1:1 debate altogether.

I am not sure how Καὶ � λόγος σὰ�ξ �γένετο καὶ �σκήνωσεν �ν ἡμῖν makes sense. And "rational speech" became flesh and dwelt among us?

It sound like "logos" is something a bit more concrete than an abstract idea. Perhaps a dictionary will not decide this case? Of course I understand that folks who do not know Greek will be tempted to flip open an English friendly lexicon and feel like they are suddenly linguists!

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 3 by liamconnor]

Oh, I don't feel like a linguist. In fact I think the definition presented to me was very vague. I just wanted opinion and general thought on it. Which, thank you, I am getting. More info is always better. It seems Koine Greek was a language that only those raised in it knew, completely. Like Latin. We can only go by majority decision and that is not 100 %.