A civil debate forum for people of all persuasions (Atheists, Agnostics, Deists, Christians, and adherents of any religion)


Reply to topic
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:29 pm
Reply
How much of the bible do you accept as inspired of God?

Like this post
I have come across Christians that reject the writings of Paul and still consider the bible God's word. Presumably that's 13 of the 27 books in the "NT" that can be ignored

Some surprisingly reject the gospel of John on the basis of it's uniqueness - I presume also Johns letters so that would be 4 books from the remaining 14 leaving only 10 books.
Quote:

My question is, are there any other Christians groups that reject more than the above 17 books in the Christian bible? Do you personally?

Are there any Christian groups that reject the entire Christian Scripture?

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 2: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:46 pm
Reply
Re: How much of the bible do you accept as inspired of God?

Like this post
[Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

I ask because we believe 100% , what do you think?

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 3: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:27 am
Reply

Like this post (1): JehovahsWitness
Well I think 100% but I did think you did hmmm,

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 4: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:05 pm
Reply

Like this post
[Replying to post 3 by ttruscott]

yes I would agree. I think we are in the minority of believers...

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 5: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:52 am
Reply

Like this post
JehovahsWitness wrote:

[Replying to post 3 by ttruscott]

yes I would agree. I think we are in the minority of believers...


I don't think so, I think the majority of Christians, JW, Evangelical, RC, etc, claim to believe 100% of the Bible.

It is heretics like me who are in the minority. Wink Those of us who believe that some parts of the Bible are far closer to inspired than other parts, and view the letters of Paul especially with skepticism. And consider parts of the OT to be a mix of primitive human bias and pure Divine inspiration.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 6: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:41 am
Reply

Like this post
[Replying to post 5 by Elijah John]

The group description for the usergroup Christian is simply this:

I'm a believer.

----

Elijah John, what do you believe that makes you Christian?

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 7: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:28 pm
Reply

Like this post
jgh7 wrote:

[Replying to post 5 by Elijah John]

The group description for the usergroup Christian is simply this:

I'm a believer.

----

Elijah John, what do you believe that makes you Christian?


First of all, on this site it is enough for someone to identify as a Christian. Those are the rules.

But no matter, I will answer.

I am a Christian because I am devoted to the God of Jesus, Father YHVH.
I am a Christian because I embrace the ethic of Jesus, the Golden Rule and his two great laws of love. (of God and neighbor)
I am a Christian because I pray the prayer that Jesus taught. The Lord's prayer.
And I am a Christian because I believe in the Father's love and mercy, again as Jesus taught.

That is my answer, but it is not up for debate.

Let me ask you this. Must a person believe everything in the Bible in order to be a Christian in your eyes? Did Jesus tell us to accept the letters of Paul as Sacred Scripture?

And if you don't like my presence here in this forum, take it up with the boss, Otseng.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 8: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:13 pm
Reply

Like this post
.
jgh7 wrote:


Elijah John, what do you believe that makes you Christian?


Moderator Comment

It is NOT acceptable to challenge anyone's theistic position -- or to demand justification for identifying as a Christian.


Please review the Rules.


______________

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 9: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:39 pm
Reply

Like this post
Elijah John wrote:

jgh7 wrote:

[Replying to post 5 by Elijah John]

The group description for the usergroup Christian is simply this:

I'm a believer.

----

Elijah John, what do you believe that makes you Christian?


First of all, on this site it is enough for someone to identify as a Christian. Those are the rules.

But no matter, I will answer.

I am a Christian because I am devoted to the God of Jesus, Father YHVH.
I am a Christian because I embrace the ethic of Jesus, the Golden Rule and his two great laws of love. (of God and neighbor)
I am a Christian because I pray the prayer that Jesus taught. The Lord's prayer.
And I am a Christian because I believe in the Father's love and mercy, again as Jesus taught.

That is my answer, but it is not up for debate.

Let me ask you this. Must a person believe everything in the Bible in order to be a Christian in your eyes? Did Jesus tell us to accept the letters of Paul as Sacred Scripture?

And if you don't like my presence here in this forum, take it up with the boss, Otseng.


The purpose of this thread seemed to be discussing what makes someone a Christian. Can one be a Christian without believing in large chunks of the bible, and if so what makes them a Christian? Can you believe in only 1 single book, maybe 1 section of 1 book and still be a Christian? Is their a line to be drawn somewhere?

I simply asked what makes you a Christian in regards to what you believe, since the usergroup for Christian only states that "I am a believer", and I was genuinely curious what the core things are that you believe that causes you to identify as Christian. I have violated the rules for asking you this, but I felt in was in the context of this topic. But if it's not, then what is permissible to talk about for this topic, and should this topic even be allowed to exist?

But to answer your question, I do believe it is right to believe everything in the bible.

edit: But specifically as to whether you have to believe everything or not, and if not then what is the minimum to believe to be Christian in my view... If I had to cite anything I'd start with Romans 10:9

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 10: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:51 am
Reply

Like this post
jgh7 wrote:


The purpose of this thread seemed to be discussing what makes someone a Christian.


Not at all, that was not my intention. I'm just curious how much of the bible others believe to be the word of God and how much "the inaccurate or misguided ideas of imperfect humans".


If someone believes most of the bible is fictional but still claims to be a Christian it's not for me to say anything here one way or the other, and I don't really want to introduce such a discussion . (There is at least one regular posters here that claims to be a Christian but rejects the idea that Jesus is the Christ (The Word Christ means MESSIAH); so I suppose there are Christians that dont believe in Christ (or at the least believe it was more than right and reasonable that the Jews didn't accept Jesus as the Christ/Messiah and are not themself sure if Jesus actually was Christ or whether it was just the over enthusiastic writings of later disciples). In short, anything goes!

No, I'm just curious where people stand on how reliable the bible is in terms of factual historically accurate information as well as accurate reflections of what God thinks on certain issues.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   


Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

 




On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.   Produced by Ecodia.

Igloo   |  Lo-Fi Version