Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Jesus liked his wine.

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

It is obvious Jesus was very partial to his wine, he made it part of the sacrament and ensured it didn't run out at the wedding feast. When I have pointed this out to Christians who think it wrong to drink alcohol because god thinks it is wrong, they say the wine Jesus imbibed was non alcoholic, REALLY? :D

marco
Savant

Re: Jesus liked his wine.

Post #11

Post by marco »

Tcg wrote:

As a young child, my family attended a Southern Baptist church. We got neither Christ's blood nor fizzy wine. I think it was Welch's grape juice. What a dull substitute.
As a young child I learned that Baptists - and others - got dull substitutes since their ministers had no power to transubstantiate. On the other hand I never tasted the real thing until my teens and it was then hard to distinguish between the pull of alcohol and the push of the Almighty. It was theologically sufficient to taste but the bread to devour Christ entirely, and one had to be awfully careful not to bite him.

Those were the days of wine and rosaries.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Jesus liked his wine.

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

marco wrote:
Tcg wrote:

As a young child, my family attended a Southern Baptist church. We got neither Christ's blood nor fizzy wine. I think it was Welch's grape juice. What a dull substitute.
As a young child I learned that Baptists - and others - got dull substitutes since their ministers had no power to transubstantiate. On the other hand I never tasted the real thing until my teens and it was then hard to distinguish between the pull of alcohol and the push of the Almighty. It was theologically sufficient to taste but the bread to devour Christ entirely, and one had to be awfully careful not to bite him.

Those were the days of wine and rosaries.

They certainly lacked that ability. On the other hand, they did have the power to turn headhunters into Christians. A former headhunter chief made a personal appearance at our church to prove the point. It was a service that was half "Ripley's Believe It or Not!" and half "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus."

The days of Welch's grape juice and headhunters. Not nearly as poetic as yours!

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by 2ndRateMind »

JJ50 wrote: Alcohol should be enjoyed in strict moderation. I am glad to say I have never been drunk in my life.
Oh, go on. Let yourself go just once. Even the early Greeks Socrates and Aristotle, thought so, and Benjamin Franklin and Oscar Wilde. Moderation in all things. Especially moderation in moderation.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost