Should this be happening in the USA?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Should this be happening in the USA?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

An immigrant from Togo, Atsu Nable was beaten by some assailants who did not like his "Make America Great Again" hat.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/46013/tw ... nk-berrien

Should this be happening in the US? Should people be allowed to wear the President's MAGA campaign hat without having to worry about their safety?

Isn't beating people for political differences more reminiscent of the tactics of intimidation as practiced by the Nazi thugs under Hitler's reign?

And some, (even on these boards) compare President Trump to Hitler? Who are the real "Hitlers", President Trump or the extremists on the Left?

Where is the condemnation of this attack from Democrat leadership? Nancy Pelosi? Chuck Schumer? Have any of the Democrat candidates for president condemned this attack?

Should their silence be interpreted as tacit approval?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

bjs
Prodigy

Re: Should this be happening in the USA?

Post #2

Post by bjs »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

It seems obvious that this is wrong. American values do not allow physical violence or harassment in response to a personal expression of free speech.

Political silence should not be interpreted as any kind of approval. National leaders are not required to comment on every event, and some things are so obviously opposed to American values that we can safely assume that all our leaders disapprove of them with the leaders needing to say so.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Your post starts out discussing the clearly unacceptable actions of "some assailants" and then, without any supporting evidence, your post morphs them into "extremists on the Left." What is worse, it expresses no true concern for the alleged victim, but simply uses him as some sort of political tool to springboard into some odd accusation that two thugs are the equivalent of the Nazi movement.

Given it's obvious political bias against Democrats, it's not surprising that it doesn't ask anything about Republican leadership reaction.

All humans should be appalled by the alleged actions of these thugs, and not simply to make a political statement.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

Tcg wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Your post starts out discussing the clearly unacceptable actions of "some assailants" and then, without any supporting evidence, your post morphs them into "extremists on the Left." What is worse, it expresses no true concern for the alleged victim, but simply uses him as some sort of political tool to springboard into some odd accusation that two thugs are the equivalent of the Nazi movement.

Given it's obvious political bias against Democrats, it's not surprising that it doesn't ask anything about Republican leadership reaction.

All humans should be appalled by the alleged actions of these thugs, and not simply to make a political statement.

Tcg
What about concern for people who want to do nothing more than to express a political opinion by wearing a hat without being beaten or even simply harassed.

Is it making a "political statement" to rhetorically defend their right to do so? Rather dismissive of you, wouldn't you say?

And my "bias" is not the point of the OP. Please address the merits, and the suppooring evidence was indeed presented. In the link.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

bjs wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

It seems obvious that this is wrong. American values do not allow physical violence or harassment in response to a personal expression of free speech.
Yet people who wear MAGA hats are routinely harassed by the Left. In fact, some pundits equate the red MAGA hat to a new "symbol of hate" equating it the the white hood of the KKK.
bjs wrote: Political silence should not be interpreted as any kind of approval. National leaders are not required to comment on every event,
And in theory I agree. But some consistency and a single standard would be nice. A friend of mine the other day was calling President Trump a "racist" and I asked him to prove his accusation. He replied "because Trump does not go around condemning White Supremacy". THAT is evidence??? And besides, he has.
bjs wrote: and some things are so obviously opposed to American values that we can safely assume that all our leaders disapprove of them with the leaders needing to say so.
They may disapprove, but the Left especially commits the sin of omission here. My guess? Because to speak out in defense of someone wearing a MAGA hat does not fit their narrative that MAGA hat wearing people are guilty of "hate speech".

Where is the courageous Democrat or Liberal who will speak against the current of PC? Like Bill Clinton did with his "Sistah Soulja" moment?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=%2 ... &FORM=VIRE

Give it a listen. Amazing how the Democrat party as changed, and not for the better.

-YHVH is LORD

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

Tcg wrote:

Moderator Comment

Your final comment about the victim is appropriate; your analysis of a poster isn't. It is supposition to claim there's no "true concern" for the victim. Respond, as you usually do, and well, to what is posted and avoid making guesses about the poster since this moves into incivility.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.