Does a mythical Jesus make a difference?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Does a mythical Jesus make a difference?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Many claims are made for Christ, not all accepted by all Christians. He was born in Bethlehem in a stable and his birth led to the massacre of children. At his execution it is alleged Jews, as a whole, called down a curse on their descendants, and this has made Jews pariahs through history. Again, not a great legacy from Christ. So he attracts some censure.

But many think he offered good advice which, when followed, leads to a better society.

If Christ were no more than an enthusiastic preacher whom many follow in the belief he's full of wise words, does it matter that he's based on fiction? If he never rose from the dead and made no miracles, yet millions behave well because of him, does it matter he is a myth?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Does a mythical Jesus make a difference?

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

From a moral standpoint, it generally makes no difference to me if Jesus existed. The gospel tale's morality is the same whether Jesus existed or not.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

Jagella wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

From a moral standpoint, it generally makes no difference to me if Jesus existed. The gospel tale's morality is the same whether Jesus existed or not.

Yes, to people in general walking peacefully on the Great Wall of China, the mythological nature of Jesus is neither here nor there. I wondered if, for those endorsing Christ's benefits, Christ need be a god or a miracle worker or just a very good guy from a past age.

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

If Christ were no more than an enthusiastic preacher whom many follow in the belief he's full of wise words, does it matter that he's based on fiction? If he never rose from the dead and made no miracles, yet millions behave well because of him, does it matter he is a myth?
Many believe in me on account of my miracles. Blessed is he that believes in my words of peace and love and good-will towards all humans, and acts accordingly to them.

Somehow the myth became moderated. And the power of the image of the miraculous was endorsed to keep the Mods in their self created positions of power.
And the works became a secondary option...perhaps even a threat to the moderators powers...

I think if millions did actually behave well because of a Jesus who had no miraculous powers attached to his mythology, the middle-men moderator positions would eventually fade away as being irrelevant.

Because people would simply know how to moderate themselves accordingly.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I don't believe Jesus is fictional ( not least because we have reliable non biblical testimony that that he was indeed a historical figure). The wise words and sound principles attributed to Jesus in the bible would of course remain useful, but It would make a huge difference to Christians if the actions and themes attributed to him in scripture were in fact fabrications with no basis in reality.

QUESTION What difference would it make to bible based Christianity if Jesus statements and actions were fabrications?

THE KINGDOM
  • Jesus is recorded as mentioning the kingdom of God more than any other topic during his ministry. Indeed it was the main theme of his preaching and the subject he sent his disciples out to preach about. He claimed to be the KING of this kingdom, promised his followers ruling authority and taught as such they would return to earth (after their deaths), to judge and kill off wicked people, give the planet earth to the meek and thereafter to live forever in heaven with God and the angels. He warned Christians they must be must be willing, if necessarily to die in support of this kingdom.

In view of the above, Christians are faced, as Lewis would say, with a man that was either mad or bad. Accepting that he said these things but none of it is true (or that he didn't actually say any of it but it was put in the bible anyway) will by necessity determine the degree to which one is willing to uphold these teachings. One cannot have faith in something one is convinced is a fabrication; the central message of hope for mankind through divine intervention would be eliminated and as a result the nature of the faith would change.

THE RANSOM
  • One of the central teachings of Christianity is the teaching of the ransom, namely that Jesus death has a profound effect on the destiny of humanity. So Jeus is not just viewed as a good man with pleasant sayings but as the Son f God sent from heaven itself to die so obedient humans can live forever in paradise *. It is one of the reasons Christians are willing to die rather than renounce their faith, they believe Jesus promise that if this were to happen they will be rewarded with eternal life. A person might be willing to die for their country, their children or a fine principle (and a Christian believing eternal life to be a pleasant fable may do the same), but he would not willing to make such a sacrifice to please his God, so the basis of his faith would be altered.

For more information on the biblical paradise see LINK
    http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 887#956887

THE MIRACLES
  • Jesus is recorded as presenting his miracles as proof of his Messiahship. They were also verifiable proof of his kingdom promises to return from the dead and eventually fulfill all the Messianic promises in scripture, including to wipe out sickness, eliminate death, ensure an abundance of food for everyone, protect his subjects from natural disaster, provide suitable housing and productive work for all, eliminate war ect. If there were no miracles and if Jesus did not rise from the dead, then there would be reason to doubt he was the Messiah ("The christ") and and in the Messianic promises.

For more on this topic see the post linked here: Why did Jesus perform miracles?
    http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 941#920941
CONCLUSION That the accounts, teachings and actions attributed to Christ in scripture are indeed historical events is absolutely fundamental to the main tenets Christianity.If Jesus was just a travelling philosopher with some nice sayings any enlightened atheist could come up with, the Christian faith would be nothing more than a pleasant hobby.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Was Jesus a historical figure? (by Goose)
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 590#945590

Why would someone invent such an unlikely hero as Jesus?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 535#881535

Examining a miracle
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 409#878409

Why did Jesus perform miracles?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 621#860621

Go to other posts related to JESUS , THE RANSOM and ...GOD'S KINGDOM

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 15 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

[Replying to post 5 by JehovahsWitness]
The wise words and sound principles attributed to Jesus in the bible would of course remain useful, but It would make a huge difference to Christians if the actions and themes attributed to him in scripture were in fact fabrications with no basis in reality.
What huge difference are you referring to? The reader is left with a statement bearing no useful context.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 6 by William]

I'll edit as I think it best I keep further explanations in the same post.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]
The wise words and sound principles attributed to Jesus in the bible would of course remain useful, but It would make a huge difference to Christians if the actions and themes attributed to him in scripture were in fact fabrications with no basis in reality.
What huge difference are you referring to? The reader is left with a statement bearing no useful context.
I'll edit as I think it best I keep further explanations in the same post.
That would be appreciated. Where statement is made, context is needed.

SallyF
Guru

Post #9

Post by SallyF »

does it matter that he's based on fiction?

It matters very much to this Atheist.

My sense of morality dictates intellectual honesty.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

[Replying to post 9 by SallyF]
My sense of morality dictates intellectual honesty.
Mine is free to explore without the burden of intellectual honesty. It makes great fiction better...