Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Can a man or angel create commandments?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Can a man or angel create commandments?

Jon 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.�

Is this evidence that leads towards Jesus being God or not?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Can a man or angel create commandments?

Post #41

Post by onewithhim »

Elijah John wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:
So, is modern Christianity just creating a god, not of wood and stone, but of their liking?
Not of "wood and stone" but of blood and bone.

Seems to be the case. Modern Christianity worships the "Christ of Faith" as opposed to heeding the teachings of the historical Jesus who only directed worship to the Father and likely never wanted to be worshipped himself. No good Jew would.

I blame John and Paul for getting the "Christ worship" ball rolling with their extremely high Christologies, and Paul's blood theology. They are the true inventors of mainstream Christianity, not Jesus.
I agree that Jesus never wanted to be worshipped himself. How can this be missed? I think that the distortions that men have made of many scriptures, over the centuries, have cast a spurious shadow over what John and Paul meant to convey, turning the truth of the Good News into a confusing mess.

Once again I am trying to bring attention to the fact that neither John nor Paul taught "extremely high Christologies," and neither was Paul the inventor of "blood theology." ("Blood theology" can be taken all the way back to the Mosaic Law and its 600+ individual statements.) John never tried to paint Jesus as God. There are a handful of verses that men have taken and twisted and mistranslated to show that Jesus is God, in spite of the fact that there are HUNDREDS of verses that contradict that line of thinking!

John 1:1 has been mistranslated, clergy and scribes throwing the rules of translating Greek into English out the window, and people have fallen for this ruse.

John 8:58 is a terribly sloppy rendering of the Greek verse, and this has been the subject of many posts, but you and others insist on blasting John for showing that Jesus claimed to be God. Not so!! The verse should have been translated as "before Abraham was born, I existed." It is not related to Exodus 3:14 at all. This has all been posted here many times.

Other verses that are misconstrued as showing Jesus to be God can be shown plainly to NOT mean what the Jesus-is-God people try to say they mean, such as John 10:30. All one has to do is go to John 17:20-23 and can see clearly what being "one" is. It means "in agreement."

Can we refrain from blaming John and Paul for something they are not guilty of? It has been clergy-influenced scribes and translators that have muddied the waters.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #42

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: No, Hillel did not. but, his doctrine encompassed the Golden rule. That was the way the law could be reduced to 2 commandants because in Hebrew thought if you kept those you would naturally keep the rest as you already knew them.(as a blessing and path to God)

My thought on your second point is modern christianity makes Christ what they desire Not what he is. I prefer to take him at his word as recorded. But, I will say you have to examine what's recorded and find the errors.
Jesus elevates the Golden Rule into - God said for you to be like Jesus. That is either blasphemy or Jesus is God.

You should argue where Christianity (modern or not) has gone incorrect.
How does Jesus elevate the Golden Rule to show that he is God?

I don't see that at all.

I have been arguing that for years....that so-called representatives of Christianity have corrupted what the Bible is telling us, by terrible translation and deliberate twisting of the verses.

What is wrong with being like Jesus? He set the example for us, to follow in his footsteps. He was a perfect man and God's beloved only-begotten Son. To be like him is not in any way perpetrating a blasphemy.

"In fact, to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving a model for you to follow his steps closely." (I Peter 2:21)

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #43

Post by brianbbs67 »

Wootah wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: No, Hillel did not. but, his doctrine encompassed the Golden rule. That was the way the law could be reduced to 2 commandants because in Hebrew thought if you kept those you would naturally keep the rest as you already knew them.(as a blessing and path to God)

My thought on your second point is modern christianity makes Christ what they desire Not what he is. I prefer to take him at his word as recorded. But, I will say you have to examine what's recorded and find the errors.
Jesus elevates the Golden Rule into - God said for you to be like Jesus. That is either blasphemy or Jesus is God.

The sect of Judiasm that sprang from Jesus, was called The Way. I assume it was because of Christ's"I am the way , the truth and the Life." He called all to followed God as the scripture instructed, not traditions they all practiced that made God's law 'Corbin".

God did give one command about Jesus. "This is my son in whom I am well pleased" So, we should listen to him as God is pleased with how he is.

Christianity has gone wrong by not following Jesus' lifestyle and religion. We should actually be Israelites, holders of the covenants.

Ephesians. 2:12

that at that time you were separate from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of the promise, not having hope and without God in the world.

Wootah
Savant

Post #44

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 19 by Wootah]

Jesus wasn't just a man. He was a perfect human---with no sin---caused to be born through the process whereby all humans are born, but without sin. His origin was in heaven, being with God and learning from God for countless ages. He was sent by God as Isaiah 61:1,2 tells us. He was anointed by Jehovah to be the mediator between men and God, and the means by which mankind can be saved. He is now in heaven with God, and will soon take over rulership of the planet.

Isaiah 9:6,7
Daniel 2:44
Revelation 20:6
How can a man pay for sins against God?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #45

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote:
Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 24 by Wootah]

In the Synoptics Jesus gives the Golden Rule and the two Great Laws of Love. In both instances he characterizes each as the "Law and the Prophets" And there in the Synoptics Jesus does not say he is giving a new Commandment. As Brian points out, Hillel also gave a version of the Golden Rule.

Does that make Hillel God?

Interesting that in John, Jesus gives the admonition to "love one another" as a "new Commandment" instead of characterizing it as the Law and the Prophets as he does in the Synoptics.
Am I off on this, or is it true that Jesus' "new" commandment is that because now Jehovah expects his worshippers to lay down their lives for other people? I don't think that was part of the Mosaic Law. But it was important now in Jesus' day to love your neighbor to the extent of being willing to give up your own life for them.
I think you can read the new commandment here:

John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.�

No doubt, loving another to the extent of dying for them is implied in the above.

Wootah
Savant

Post #46

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote:
Wootah wrote:

I don't see that at all.

I have been arguing that for years....that so-called representatives of Christianity have corrupted what the Bible is telling us, by terrible translation and deliberate twisting of the verses.

What is wrong with being like Jesus? He set the example for us, to follow in his footsteps. He was a perfect man and God's beloved only-begotten Son. To be like him is not in any way perpetrating a blasphemy.

"In fact, to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving a model for you to follow his steps closely." (I Peter 2:21)
Read the thread and you will see how.

You may also have been fishing for years but that has no relevance.

What is wrong is that you would (I hope) call out any other human person in history that claimed to be God as a liar and yet here you fall for the same trick with Jesus.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #47

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote:
onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 19 by Wootah]

Jesus wasn't just a man. He was a perfect human---with no sin---caused to be born through the process whereby all humans are born, but without sin. His origin was in heaven, being with God and learning from God for countless ages. He was sent by God as Isaiah 61:1,2 tells us. He was anointed by Jehovah to be the mediator between men and God, and the means by which mankind can be saved. He is now in heaven with God, and will soon take over rulership of the planet.

Isaiah 9:6,7
Daniel 2:44
Revelation 20:6
How can a man pay for sins against God?
One of Adam's progeny cannot. We are all sinners, having INHERITED sin and imperfection from Adam.

It had to be another PERFECT man, which Adam was before he rebelled.

The scales, if you will, had to be balanced---one perfect life for the other. Jesus was even called "the last Adam" because he was equal to Adam in his human form. (I Corinthians 15: 45)

Of course Jesus was way superior to Adam, being the first and only begotten Son of God, but as a human he could be on the level of perfect Adam.It might be helpful to read Romans 5:12-19, as it helped me to get a good picture of Adam and Jesus' relationship in the scheme of things.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #48

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote:
onewithhim wrote:
Wootah wrote:

I don't see that at all.

Read the thread and you will see how.

You may also have been fishing for years but that has no relevance.

What is wrong is that you would (I hope) call out any other human person in history that claimed to be God as a liar and yet here you fall for the same trick with Jesus.
I read the thread. I still don't see how.

I know what I have said has no relevance to anyone else.

What trick with Jesus have I fallen for? I do not believe that Jesus is God, and I do not believe that he ever claimed to be.