Child Abuse

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Child Abuse

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

Does the threat of eternal damnation for improper behavior constitute child abuse?
Example:
Is it psychologically damaging to a child to tell her (or him) "You're going to Hell" if the child told a lie?" Is the purported damage nullified if the child is taught repentance and faith in Jesus as the son of God will extinguish the treat of eternal damnation?

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Child Abuse

Post #31

Post by Bust Nak »

1213 wrote: If it is child abuse to tell that your hand will burn, if you put it on to fire, then yes.
Okay, but are you suggesting that if it is not child abuse to say your hand will burn, if you put it on to fire, then no?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote:
Danmark wrote: Is it psychologically damaging to a child to tell her (or him) "You're going to Hell" if the child told a lie?" Is the purported damage nullified if the child is taught repentance and faith in Jesus as the son of God will extinguish the treat of eternal damnation?
If it is child abuse to tell that your hand will burn, if you put it on to fire, then yes.
Warning that fire will burn hand is demonstrably true -- and thus a legitimate warning

Warning that hell awaits for breaking religious rules is NOT demonstrably true -- and thus an OPINION and/or platitude stated as though it was fact.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #33

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 32 by Zzyzx]

Worse still is passing a threat off as if it's a mere warning. There is a huge difference between "your hand will burn if you touch fire" and "I will burn your hand if you disobey me by touching fire."

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by Danmark »

Certainly we can all agree that it is abusive to teach a child to believe a false threat. The concept of an eternal hell is the ultimate threat. I have a hard time believing that even a sincere Christian father who frequently admonishes his child with "You'll go to Hell," isn't practicing abuse.

The father, including a 'heavenly' one, who makes up either the concept or the reality of such a ghastly fate, is not one I'd ever want to follow. The father that conceives of such a punishment and preaches it as a truth seems to me criminally, pathologically abusive. I've never heard of an Earthly father who would wish eternal agony on anyone, let alone his own son.

The traditional concept of Hell is so abhorrent, much of liberal Christianity denies it even exists. They speak of the eternal emptiness of separation from God, but not of fire and brimstone.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #35

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 34 by Danmark]
The traditional concept of Hell is so abhorrent, much of liberal Christianity denies it even exists. They speak of the eternal emptiness of separation from God, but not of fire and brimstone.
This idea doesn't make sense. So let's say I choke on my dinner tonight, die, and I find myself in front of the Christian God. As a result of the last twenty or so years spent as an atheist skeptic, I'm now sentenced to this hell - eternal seperation from God, being tormented over being lonely.
Okay...why is this eternal then? In this scenario, I made a mistake. Where's God's loving compassion? His mercy?
I'd sentence a child of mine to a temporary time out, but I'd never make it eternal. What if the child repents? And here I thought Christianity talked a big talk about repentance.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by Danmark »

rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 34 by Danmark]
This idea doesn't make sense. So let's say I choke on my dinner tonight, die, and I find myself in front of the Christian God. As a result of the last twenty or so years spent as an atheist skeptic, I'm now sentenced to this hell - eternal seperation from God, being tormented over being lonely.
Okay...why is this eternal then? In this scenario, I made a mistake. Where's God's loving compassion? His mercy?
I'd sentence a child of mine to a temporary time out, but I'd never make it eternal. What if the child repents? And here I thought Christianity talked a big talk about repentance.
You're right, it does not make sense. According to this odd, but common doctrine, repentance and forgiveness is a HUGE deal and available until the very last moment your Earthly body is intact. But once your 'soul' is separated from your body, all bets are off and you go to Hell FOREVER with no more opportunity to repent.

So you spend a nanosecond of time in this 'body' (compared to the eternity of your soul), but THAT short Earthly span determines your fate for trillions of years raised to the trillionth power + eternity forever [not to be overly redundant ;) ]

And we are supposed to conclude that THIS scenario was dreamed up by a loving, wise God?!

I could do a better job with a broom and a bucket of . . . fertilizer.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by JJ50 »

There is a lot of child abuse in the Bible, if the stories therein are to be believed. The Biblical god allowed it to happen, therefore it is as bad as the human perpetrators.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #38

Post by Clownboat »

The Tanager wrote:
Danmark wrote: Does the threat of eternal damnation for improper behavior constitute child abuse?
Example:
Is it psychologically damaging to a child to tell her (or him) "You're going to Hell" if the child told a lie?" Is the purported damage nullified if the child is taught repentance and faith in Jesus as the son of God will extinguish the treat of eternal damnation?
While I believe in Hell, I do not think Christian parents should be trying to manipulate their child's behavior by threatening Hell. I don't think that is a natural result of the Christian doctrine. That would seem to say that we get Heaven by doing all the right things, which is not Christianity. Still, I think it is okay to guide your children away from immoral actions and tell them they are wrong. I think Christians should see themselves in a battle against wrong actions with their child, ultimately pointing them to the source of goodness, God.
To the bold.
All that can be done without the need of the gods.

The question was, once you add in threatening your children with a hell, does that constitute abuse? (You only mentioned that you don't think Christian parents should do such a thing).

Since the goal can be accomplished without the gods, perhaps threatening your children with burning in a lake of fire for eternity should be considered abusive parenting? Empty emotional threats could sure be argued to be abusive afterall.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

The Tanager
Savant

Post #39

Post by The Tanager »

Clownboat wrote:To the bold.
All that can be done without the need of the gods.
I agree that all that can be done without the need of belief in the gods. I don't see atheism providing what is ontologically needed to explain the existence of moral/immoral in a truly meaningful sense, but that is a whole different discussion.
Clownboat wrote:The question was, once you add in threatening your children with a hell, does that constitute abuse? (You only mentioned that you don't think Christian parents should do such a thing).
I'm sorry that wasn't clear enough from my post. Yes, I think it abusive to use hell to manipulate your children's actions. But I also wanted to nuance the discussion, concerning whether the doctrine of hell itself is abusive since I felt that the subtitle of the thread could cover that kind of claim as well.