Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Biblical Literalism

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

I cannot understand how some Christians can actually believe all the Bible to be literally true, including the passages which have no credibility like the creation story, the flood, and much of what is attributed to Jesus. Not all Christians are Biblical literalists thank goodness, only the more extreme ones.

I don't know what causes some people to suspend all logic when reading that book.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Biblical Literalism

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
Please show one example of how somebody has actually suspended all logic when reading that book?

Jamie Coots is an example. Mr. Coots took the following verse literally:
  • Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Based on literal interpretation this verse, Jamie Coots practiced snake handling as a part of the religious services he led. He suspended all logic when he took the phrase, "it shall not hurt them", to be a reasonable claim.

On February 15, 2014, Mr. Coots got bit by a poisonous snake, but unlike the claim this verse makes, it did hurt him. He died the very same day.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

otseng
Savant

Post #12

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 1 by JJ50]

I am a Christian, not a biblical literalist.

I think the chief reason for biblical literalism is fear: if we can't trust that everything in the Bible says exactly what it says without qualification, then how can we trust the doctrines that are essential to salvation? If the Sun did not actually stand still (or rather, the earth stop moving) during the battle in the valley of Aaylon, then how do we know that Jesus was actually resurrected.
And what is your answer to that, from your perspective as a non literalist Christian? (As one non-literalist to another. ;) )
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #14

Post by Elijah John »

Jagella wrote: Otherwise you just pick and choose arbitrarily what God really meant to be true. So for example if you conclude that Noah and the flood were mythological, then it doesn't seem to be reasonable to conclude that Jesus was historical.
That is quite the non-sequitur. In effect saying "no Noah, no Jesus". Let me ask you this. Do you think some parts of the Bible are more important than other parts? Or some parts are closer to the truth than other parts? Then why not "pick and choose". Such an approach does not have to be "arbitrary" at all, and can be well reasoned and discerning.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote:Case in point: you believe in the literal flood of the Bible. Scientists from many disciplines have examined actual, physical evidence (rock strata, fossils, genetics, etc) and find no evidence whatsoever of a global flood that killed everything except 2 (or 7 in some cases) of whatever could fit on a wooden boat.
I think that is not true. “Science� has found modern continents, oil and gas fields, orogenic mountains, vast sediment formations, marine fossils on high mountains, all that are evidence for the great flood. So, by this I would say, person who believes that the great flood happened, has not necessary rejected logic and reason, even if “science� is illogical in front of all the evidence?

Savant

Post #16

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Jamie Coots is an example. Mr. Coots took the following verse literally:
  • Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Based on literal interpretation this verse, Jamie Coots practiced snake handling as a part of the religious services he led. He suspended all logic when he took the phrase, "it shall not hurt the…
Thanks for the example. I think that doesn’t necessary show person suspended logic. He actually was logical, if we take only that information that it is not harmful to do what he did. However, he ignored many things Bible tells, which is why I think he made huge mistake. For example it is said:

and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written, 'He will give his angels charge concerning you.' and, 'On their hands they will bear you up, So that you don't dash your foot against a stone.'" Jesus said to him, "Again, it is written, 'You shall not test the Lord, your God.'"
Matt. 4:6-7

Also, the promises are for disciples of Jesus. Apparently, Coots was not one of them, because he didn’t remain in words of Jesus.

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

John 8:31-32