I'm done

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

I'm done

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

Right, so this is it. I'm done. I'm leaving the site. I've been here just shy of a full four years and to be honest, it often feels like I'm just banging my head against the wall, for all the good it does.
This isn't to say I haven't gotten something out of this site. I have made some wonderful online friends, and learned a lot. However, when it comes to Christians, it often does seem like they refuse to learn or apply themselves.

My view of Christianity, as of me leaving this site, is that it is a hateful evil cult. The rhetoric it spews about humans is just abominable. To be told that humanity is wicked, evil, sinful, and that all this is because a proto-ancestor ate a magic apple...? I have debated the morality of following Christianity's God, of their claims of their messiah, and been told that by & large, Christians would not prevent Jesus's torture and execution, they stand to gain from it.
Christianity inverts what is good and evil. It makes a virtue out of torture and executions, and a sin out of a respect for life. It commends authoritarianism and denigrates democracy.

A few parting shots as I leave
1213 - You're an idiot. I've seen that from you since day one. Your arguments are childish and simplistic. You apply no real logic that I've seen, and basically just repeat "The Bible is good, and that's enough for me to believe it" (or variations of that)

Still small, EarthScienceGuy - You are not scientists in my eye. No-one who cites Statement-of-Faith YEC sites is, because SoFs preculde science, because SoFs demand that their followers promote a certain answer no matter what is said, no matter what evidence is gathered or not gathered. Nothing you say on the topic of science has any weight, as you have destroyed your own credibilities.

Liamconnor - You're not a historian. All you can argue and all you seem capable of arguing is that with my (and other atheist's) standards, we should discard Alexander the Great or Julius Caesar. Well guess what? I call your bluff. I'm willing to do just that. If it turns out that I absolutely, positively HAVE to discard what I think I know about Alex or Julie, then I'll do it.

Dio9 - as seen from my latest round with you, you are uninformed about your own religion. Seriously, God doesn't send plagues? Try reading a Bible for once in your life.

Jagella - Great guy in my opinion, but you need to think through your arguments just a little bit better. You seemed to be uninformed as to the lack of a future tense in the Ancient Hebrew language. Don't give the Christians this excuse to dismiss what you say.

I don't mind if mods ban me for this post. I'm already on a Final Warning, and this ought to be enough to tip me over the edge. I'll just finish by saying that this is the best website I've ever seen in terms of debating religion. The mods are fair and even-handed, and I quite literally have never seen any partisan-ship in terms of moderation - no Christian mods covering for Christian abuses, or vice versa.
However, it's come time to leave. I've said my piece and at this point, I'm just repeating myself. Sayonnara and farewell.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Christians and atheists don't get Christianity?

Post #71

Post by Divine Insight »

John Human wrote: Christians are taught to believe that Jesus Christ's willing sacrifice serves as an expiation for the sins of those who believe in Him.
Only if they condone and accept this on their behalf.

If they refuse to accept this immoral act on their behalf they are condemn to the fiery furnace of hell. So Christianity demands that its followers must condone and embrace the crucifixion of Christ on their behalf.

What you don't seem to realize is that this comes down to an agreement between each individual human and God himself.

You see, God would have needed to design this entire scenario. No humans could be held responsible for it, not the Romans, nor the Jewish Priests, nor anyone else. Only God can lay claim to having designed this scenario.

So God is asking us to condone the brutal crucifixion of his demigod Son (or himself if you reject that Jesus was the demigod Son of God). And God is basically giving us an ultimatum. We can either accept this immoral scenario so that we may be granted undeserved amnesty for our unworthiness. Or we can reject the offer and be damned to death or a far worse fate.

My point is that I would reject this offer and I could not respect or condone any "God" who would have thought up such a sick immoral scenario.

Some Christians will even argue that it's a "Done Deal" now so we may as well accept it. But that doesn't work either. The reason it doesn't work is because God is supposed to be timeless and omniscient. Therefore rejecting this offer today is no different from rejecting this offer before the world was ever created.

In other words, I'm telling God that I will not accept this immoral scenario on my behalf even before he's actually carried out the dastardly deed. I'm telling God that to have Christ brutally crucified to pay for my sins is totally unacceptable and immoral by my standards of morality.

Strangely (and IMHO sickly) Christians often come back upon hearing the above by saying. Fine. So if you don't want to accept Christ's sacrifice to pay for your sins then you can burn in hell, God will gladly accept your rejection of his grand plan.

But think of how utterly sick that position truly is. It's basically demanding that anyone who has decent moral principles should burn in hell, while those who don't mind having an innocent person brutally crucified to pay for their unworthiness should be granted eternal life in paradise for accepting this immoral offer from God.

How do we get past the ultimate fact that the religion favors those who care more about themselves than anyone else and would rather see moral decent people burn in hell than give up their chance to obtain an undeserved eternal life simply because they have absolutely no sense of decency or morality at all?

How do you justify that? :-k

The decent people like myself, Rikuo, and Clownboat are cast into hell for being decent moral people while the immoral Christians get to party in eternal paradise laughing at the fact that the decent people were cast into hell because they refused to condone this God's immoral drama play.

How does that make sense as a respectable theology? :-k

Any religion that is founded on the idea that you have to accept having an innocent person brutally crucified as your scapegoat has serious moral problems, IMHO..
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #72

Post by Zzyzx »

John Human wrote: Jesus, a recognized male-line descendant of the House of David,
Wait a minute.

"Male-line descendant" means through his father -- 'a blood relative in the direct line of descent'.

Kindly identify the male from the 'House of David' who fathered him.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

William
Savant

Post #73

Post by William »

Zzyzx: Wait a minute.

"Male-line descendant" means through his father -- 'a blood relative in the direct line of descent'.

William: According to the sum total of the yarn, it has to be said that the reference is to The Elohim.
They are the Father [Creator] of "The House Of David". Jehovah/YVHW/...etc... The House Of Elohim is The House Of Jehovah/YVHW/...etc... Where The Elohim reside ordinarily.

That's going by the info we all have access to...

John Human
Scholar

Post #74

Post by John Human »

Zzyzx wrote: .
John Human wrote: Jesus, a recognized male-line descendant of the House of David,
Wait a minute.

Exactly.
I don't see how that request connects to what I said; perhaps you could clarify.

As recorded in the Bible, Jesus was repeatedly addressed as "son of David," clearly implying male-line descent, in a culture that saw the woman as the receptacle of the man's seed.
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]

otseng
Savant

Post #75

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

This subforum is not for debating. Please create threads in the appropriate subforums to continue your debates. Closing this thread.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.