How would you react.........

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:22 am

How would you react.........

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

…...........if it could be proved beyond any shadow of doubt no god or afterlife exist, when you die you are no more?

I would be relieved that once my life is over that is it, end of story. I am of the opinion that is the case, but of course there is the outside possibility I am wrong.

I have asked this question on forums before, often the reaction from devout believers is that god/afterlife exist and there is no other possibility.

Over to you.

Waterfall
Apprentice
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:08 am

Re: How would you react.........

Post #2

Post by Waterfall »

JJ50 wrote: …...........if it could be proved beyond any shadow of doubt no god or afterlife exist, when you die you are no more?

I would be relieved that once my life is over that is it, end of story. I am of the opinion that is the case, but of course there is the outside possibility I am wrong.

I have asked this question on forums before, often the reaction from devout believers is that god/afterlife exist and there is no other possibility.

Over to you.
Namaste

Maybe you should drink a beer and listen to some music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP623hMbAIA

Or you could watch a conversation like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwgkvBZXum0

How would I react...

I would commit suicide :D Cheers ;-)

JJ50
Banned
Banned
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:22 am

Re: How would you react.........

Post #3

Post by JJ50 »

[Replying to post 2 by Waterfall]

I dislike beer and music.

Waterfall
Apprentice
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:08 am

Re: How would you react.........

Post #4

Post by Waterfall »

JJ50 wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Waterfall]

I dislike beer and music.
Is that my problem :study:

Bust Nak
Savant
Posts: 8684
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 am
Location: Planet Earth
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: How would you react.........

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 1 by JJ50]

Proven to just me or to everyone?

If it's just me then I would be ever so slightly disappointed that I won't get to say "told you so" to all the theists in atheist heaven.

If it is everyone then I would very happy that I get to say "told you so" right now.

Waterfall
Apprentice
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:08 am

Re: How would you react.........

Post #6

Post by Waterfall »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 1 by JJ50]

Proven to just me or to everyone?

If it's just me then I would be ever so slightly disappointed that I won't get to say "told you so" to all the theists in atheist heaven.

If it is everyone then I would very happy that I get to say "told you so" right now.
Namaste

But what would be the consequences of such a prove or knowledge...I would not be around to talk with you and many others would disapear to...what would you be left with? Good people? Maybe you could have a good talk with the hells angels and banditos and the drug cartels?

I just want to drink some beers and listen to this ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSG6z_13-Q

JJ50
Banned
Banned
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:22 am

Re: How would you react.........

Post #7

Post by JJ50 »

[Replying to post 4 by Waterfall]

It isn't mine either.

Waterfall
Apprentice
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:08 am

Re: How would you react.........

Post #8

Post by Waterfall »

JJ50 wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Waterfall]

It isn't mine either.
I thought you wanted a conversation? Maybe I should not drink and write :tongue: I will let you talk with Bust Nak :shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8cGLIMtvg

User avatar
2ndRateMind
Site Supporter
Posts: 1301
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:25 am
Location: Pilgrim on another way
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: How would you react.........

Post #9

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 1 by JJ50]

The problem for me would be that, if there is no afterlife, there is no rectifying of the injustices and crimes and sins of this life. I believe that God is good, and therefore just, and that therefore there must be an afterlife, such that the last shall be first, and the first, last, as Jesus promised.

Of course, if you don't believe in God, or a final reckoning, there is no justification for this kind of reasoning. And one might as well hog all the wealth and power available to one, and deny it to others, and live this life as profligately as one can afford. But I am not sure that would be 'moral'.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Bust Nak
Savant
Posts: 8684
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 am
Location: Planet Earth
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: How would you react.........

Post #10

Post by Bust Nak »

Waterfall wrote: But what would be the consequences of such a prove or knowledge...
Well, there would be one fewer reason for war and oppression for a start. People might be nicer to each other knowing this is the only life they get.
I would not be around to talk with you and many others would disapear to...what would you be left with?
Better adjusted people who don't off themselves because they cannot handle the lack of an afterlife.
Good people?
Sure.
Maybe you could have a good talk with the hells angels and banditos and the drug cartels?
Maybe.
I just want to drink some beers and listen to this...
Don't see what this have to do with the topic.

Post Reply