Mental musing on Frankenstein....

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

Mental musing on Frankenstein....

Post #1

Post by kcplusdc@yahoo.com »

Hopefully y'all are familiar with the Frankenstein story, but if not here is a quick summary...
A Doctor sews together a man using the body parts of dead people. Of course, what he ends up with is a sewn together dead man, but, using a machine with the proper amounts of handles, cranks and buttons, he harnesses a bolt of lightning and is able to animate him. The dead becomes alive?

Anyway, I was laying in bed trying to get some sleep and for whatever reason I started thinking about Frankenstein, nothing too serious, my mind dancing around the basic plot.
Right up to the point of the animation scene. Where my brain spoke up and said, "Obviously this is a work of fiction!"
Right? I mean how stupid is that? You can't animate dead stuff with a bolt of lightning, even if it use to be alive and its sewn together real good?
Its about this time where my brain brought up the scientific theory on the origin of life.
Essentially a bunch of dead stuff encountered a situation, catalysis, or a machine with the required amount of bells and whistles and becomes a living thing.
The primordial ooze version of the theory even uses lightning as the imputus for the change from dead to living, just like Frankenstein. Only major difference being, that in the theory of the origin of life nothing had previously been alive nor had thread been invented yet.
It was at this point where I kinda woke up a bit just long enough to enjoy the fact that my mind recognizes the Frankenstein story as a steaming pile of fantasy/fiction but that somehow,the same basic story, couched as a scientific theory, becomes more palatable.
Before i finally fell asleep I remember thinking that at least Dr Frankenstein was working with something that was formerly alive and of course, thank God, he had thread.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Mental musing on Frankenstein....

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

kcplusdc@yahoo.com wrote:
You can't animate dead stuff with a bolt of lightning, even if it use to be alive and its sewn together real good?

Exactly, you need a God to breathe the breath of life into the dead stuff. Dr. Frankenstein clearly didn't have the right recipe.

Body parts and lightning? What a silly story. You need dust and God's breath of life. All you have to do is hold a handful of dirt towards the sky and wait for God to sneeze.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

lol

Post #3

Was that a question or just an example of you being a fundamental non believer?

Tcg
Savant

Re: lol

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 3 by kcplusdc@yahoo.com]

A non believer? I am sharing the truth of God's word from Genesis chapter 2 verse number 7. Can I hear an amen brother?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

Seemed to me

Post #5

Then i apologize seemed like sarcasm.
Anyway i found it kinda strange that the one story My reaction to it was Fake, but essentially the same story wearing a lab coat was not as silly. Especially in sone ways the primordial ooze had less to work with the Frankenstein.