Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Could you be wrong?

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

I am of the opinion that no god or afterlife exists, and that much of what is attributed to Jesus is exaggerated or untrue. However, I could be wrong in which case, I must ensure I take my suitcase of asbestos clothing with me to hell.

Are others, whether believers or unbelievers, ready to admit that it is possible their stance on matters of faith could be wrong?

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Could you be wrong?

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by JJ50]

Please...

Start with using OR gate testing first. Which one is (likely) winner. The Question of Truth procedure.

Next: Have you gotten all the information in order to make a decision? In my case, all religion can now be decided scientifically. By OBEs, people have a chance to travel to Heaven and tell about it truthfully (5 lie detectors++) and have it fMRI confirmed too.

Change of heart? :study:
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #3

Post by Bust Nak »

JJ50 wrote: I am of the opinion that no god or afterlife exists, and that much of what is attributed to Jesus is exaggerated or untrue. However, I could be wrong in which case, I must ensure I take my suitcase of asbestos clothing with me to hell.

Are others, whether believers or unbelievers, ready to admit that it is possible their stance on matters of faith could be wrong?
Wrong on which part? Some god concepts can be ruled out as logical contradictions, I cannot be wrong about those. Everything else I can be wrong about.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JJ50 »

[Replying to post 2 by Aetixintro]

Ehhhhhhhh, I have no idea what you are talking about?

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 4 by JJ50]

Too bad! Because, ehhhhhhhh, I have no idea why you don't have any idea of what I am talking about? :study: 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Jagella »

JJ50 wrote:Are others, whether believers or unbelievers, ready to admit that it is possible their stance on matters of faith could be wrong?
Yes, of course I could be wrong. I'm a fallible human being who makes mistakes, and there's no guarantee that what I think is right or true must be right or true. Like anybody else, I'm biased looking for reasons to believe what I want to believe while being slow to accept anything that might argue against what I want to believe.

By contrast, many people are loathe to admit that they are fallible and make mistakes. For them their beliefs are certainly true. They seem oblivious to their bias but are quick to see bias in others.

And I see this mindset in many Christians.

FWI
Sage

Post #7

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 1 by JJ50]

The most important part of your comments is the admitting that they are only opinions, thus they have no factual basis to them. The reality is that un-believers cannot prove that God doesn't exist, nor that there is no afterlife. They also cannot support the accusations, which are claimed about the Christ. Yet, you seem to believe that if you are wrong, you'll be going to a hell…However, anyone who has thoroughly researched the heaven or hell doctrine would have found that there is no such concept in the bible.

Therefore, my life experiences, before the calling and those after, makes it clear that I am correct in my beliefs and have no doubts or thoughts that I could be wrong…This, for me, is truly an unexplained blessing.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

JJ50 wrote: I am of the opinion that no god or afterlife exists, and that much of what is attributed to Jesus is exaggerated or untrue. However, I could be wrong in which case, I must ensure I take my suitcase of asbestos clothing with me to hell.

Evangelical Christians sometimes cite Pascal's wager on questions like this. The Christian, they say, has nothing to lose by believing in Christ. The atheist, by contrast, goes to hell if they are wrong.

But this overlooks an important possibility, if not probability. If God exists, and Jesus is NOT God, then people who worship him as such are violating the first commandment, the prohibition against idolatry. What is the penalty for this kind of idolatry? God only knows. But it seems risky to me to worship Jesus of Nazareth as "God", instead of Father YHVH alone.

I could be wrong, but so could they be. Evangelicals may indeed be very surprised to find Catholics, Jews, Muslims, and even atheists in Heaven, and learn that God's love mercy and compassion is far greater than their rigid theology allows.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #9

Post by Bust Nak »

FWI wrote: The reality is that un-believers cannot prove that God doesn't exist...
Which God? Insert the problem of evil here for those omnipotent and good kinds of deities.
However, anyone who has thoroughly researched the heaven or hell doctrine would have found that there is no such concept in the bible.
Maybe not a literal lake of fire hell, but no hell even as a concept? Does the everlasting second death not count?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Zzyzx »

FWI wrote: The reality is that un-believers cannot prove that God doesn't exist, nor that there is no afterlife.
In reasoned discourse or debate those who do not accept a proposition ('believe') have NO obligation to prove non-existence.

Expecting proof of non-existence is a fool's errand. No one can prove that invisible, undetectable unicorns, fairies, leprechauns do not exist.

Thus, no one can rationally ask for proof of non-existence of invisible, undetectable 'gods'.

This is a classic example of argument from ignorance (Latin: argumentum ad ignorantiam), or appeal to ignorance ('ignorance' stands for "lack of evidence to the contrary"), is a fallacy in informal logic. It says something is true because it has not yet been proved false. Or, that something is false if it has not yet been proved true.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence