Validate your belief

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Confused
Site Supporter

Validate your belief

Post #1

Post by Confused »

Most christians on this site continually bombard everyone else with the repetitive statement "I know god is real because of my personal relationship/experience with him".

So my question is simple, lets hear your foundation for your relationship and see if it truly stands up to divine or technology. For example, the doctors said she should have never survived those injuries. It is a true miracle. This initially led to you seeking god to thank him. Forget all the medicine involved, technology applied, variable of the human body that make it more adaptable to healing etc etc etc. Or you lost your job, family, dog, and everything else you hear about in a bad country song, then one day you heard a man speaking about god, you listened. This man gave you opportunities to fix your life and since the man preached god, it must have been gods intervention. Forget the fact that most missions are run my religious sects thereby making it impossible not to attribute some of the good fortune to god instead of the many donations people gave to support that shelter.

My point is, most don't believe in this god because their parents told them to. They had some sort of epiphany to set the foundation to lead them on the path of christ. So tell me, what is yours and why do you think it was divine intervention that lead you down your chosen path????

juliod
Guru

Post #11

Post by juliod »

To be quite fair, this is a reasonable justification for believing in God. When God shows up in person, you have no choice but to believe in him.
No. This needs to be challenged.

What do you mean by "When god shows up"? How could you tell it was god?

When Jim Jones or David Koresh tells you that they are god, do you believe them? No, reasonable people do not. Some unreasonable people do.

So when any typical theist claims personal revelation, they must be prepared to answer the question "How do you know it was god?"

The only explanation is that theists generally have such ludicrously unreasonably low standards toward evidence that they can come to believe anything. in my view, not a reasonable position to take.

DanZ

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Validation

Post #12

Post by Greatest I Am »

It is probably impossible to validate any thing if we are to assume something wrong with all the old writings.
If we are to believe these old writings then validation is only possible in analyzing the message and it's validity in terms of the overall philosophy of the writings.
For this we need to believe even more of the old writings. Almost a trap.
The believer then must take the non-believer through the whole philosophy and in this place this is almost impossible as well. Unless the two participants decide to join up somewhere in this place.
A non-believer then would need to decide that a believer may be on the right trac and make arrangements to "meet" this person elsewhere more private.
Not likely to happen too often.

Regards
DL