"Comprehensive immigration reform"

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

"Comprehensive immigration reform"

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

For Americans, and those interested in American politics...

One hears both Democrats and Republicans speaking of the need to achieve "comprehensive immigration reform" and that we need to "fix our broken immigration system".

For debate.

What do they mean when they use these phrases? What does the phrase "comprehensive immigration reform" mean to a Democrat? To a Republican?

What would "fixing our broken immigration system" look like to a Democrat? To a Republican?

Do they mean the same thing? Or are they talking past each other, and mean two very different things?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: "Comprehensive immigration reform"

Post #11

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Elijah John wrote:For debate.

What do they mean when they use these phrases? What does the phrase "comprehensive immigration reform" mean to a Democrat? To a Republican?

What would "fixing our broken immigration system" look like to a Democrat? To a Republican?

Do they mean the same thing? Or are they talking past each other, and mean two very different things?
Elijah John wrote: ""I don't think that's a fair or a true statement. Wanting control of one's borders is not racist.

""

Merit-based citizenship is racism or a way to unjustly discriminate in my view. This is what Trump is really advocating for. I only agree with him as far as needing to secure the borders. I oppose many of his claims beyond this goal.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Elijah John wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote:
Yes, just so. I don't think anyone, anywhere, is a champion of gratuitous immigration, for the sole economic benefit of the immigrant.

But I think we can all get behind the concept of rescuing people from oppression, if that is how it is put to us.

So far as I can make out, democrats put that question, and republicans just seek to arouse racist prejudice.

Best wishes, 2RM
I don't think that's a fair or a true statement. Wanting control of one's borders is not racist.
Did I say it was? All I meant was that civilised and allegedly Christian nations tend to offer oppressed peoples respite and sanctuary. This is not incompatible with 'controlling one's borders'. On the other hand, mischaracterising all latin-american immigrants and would be immigrants as criminals, rapists and murderers, as the bully Trump does, clearly is racist.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

shnarkle
Guru

Post #13

Post by shnarkle »

Elijah John wrote:
What does the phrase "comprehensive immigration reform" mean to a Democrat?

In general, it means we need to fast track the process of allowing immigrants into the US. Democrats have an incentive in that most of these immigrants will then vote for Democrats when they become citizens. Why? Because the economy is collapsing, and most of these immigrants can't find a job so they're going to need all the freebies promised by the Democratic party.

To a Republican it means securing the border itself to prevent illegal immigrants from entering. They have the same incentive Democrats do which is to prevent them from voting for Democrats. A secure border also prevents people from leaving which most Republicans never take into consideration.

There is this notion or assumption that everyone wants to get into the US, but the fact is that only unskilled uneducated, poor or the criminal element needs to get into the US. Those who are well off want nothing to do with the US. Why? Because the US is a dangerous place to live and becoming more dangerous by the day.

If you're living a comfortable lifestyle outside the US, and the US is talking about building a wall, you don't want to be inside that wall.

They aren't just talking past each other. They're both ignoring the real issue which is twofold. On the one hand, the Dems ignore the cost shifting that taxpayers must pay for medical, education etc. for these immigrants. On the other hand, the Republicans ignore the corporate entities that employ these immigrants illegally.

The Dems ignore the fact that these illegals are working for slave wages, and horrid working conditions. The Reps ignore the fact that much of the money earned is quickly sent back south which helps to keep the local economy from slipping into too much inflation as well as strengthening the dollar abroad as the reserve currency for the world. I shouldn't say "ignore", but perhaps they hide this fact. Why? Because it furthers the status quo.

Both parties are in the back pocket of corporate interests so they're effectively no different than page boys running legislation written by corporate lawyers to be voted on. The game is to make everyone else believe that they're doing it for their stated reasons rather than simply trying to appease their corporate task masters. The lobbyist's goal is to allow their corporate interests keep making money and allow the page boys to save face with their constituents. So they run their options through their think tanks to see which way works for the most profit potential.

If they can keep illegals entering to pick produce for slave wages with a wall, then they'll get that bill passed, probably with someone blowing up a Walmart on the border. If it doesn't work, then they'll show more pictures of children behind chain link fencing.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #14

Post by Elijah John »

2ndRateMind wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote:
Yes, just so. I don't think anyone, anywhere, is a champion of gratuitous immigration, for the sole economic benefit of the immigrant.

But I think we can all get behind the concept of rescuing people from oppression, if that is how it is put to us.

So far as I can make out, democrats put that question, and republicans just seek to arouse racist prejudice.

Best wishes, 2RM
I don't think that's a fair or a true statement. Wanting control of one's borders is not racist.
Did I say it was? All I meant was that civilised and allegedly Christian nations tend to offer oppressed peoples respite and sanctuary. This is not incompatible with 'controlling one's borders'. On the other hand, mischaracterising all latin-american immigrants and would be immigrants as criminals, rapists and murderers, as the bully Trump does, clearly is racist.

Best wishes, 2RM.
That is not what President Trump did, nor is doing. He is doing no such thing. You and the Left create straw man arguments here. But the Left needs to make such false arguments, because the truth is not on their side.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.