Do you acceept scriptural contradictions?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Do you acceept scriptural contradictions?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Christian religions use the Bible as their fundamental source which they may consider "God breathed."

But in Matthew we are told that Jesus was born during the days of King Herod who died about 4 BC, in Luke we have Jesus born during the 6 AD census of Judea.

So he would have been born twice in ten years.

Is this credible?

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

Luke 2 New International Version (NIV)
The Birth of Jesus
2 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while[a] Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to their own town to register.

Are you referring to the first or second census?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Overcomer
Guru

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

You already have a thread on this topic, polonius. Why start another?

Here's the thing:

Many critics of the Bible complain about so-called contradictions, but often the things they cite as such are not. The Law of Non-Contradiction states that something cannot be one thing and its exact opposite at the same time. Therefore, to say that the animal sitting by my chair is a dog and then say that the animal sitting by my chair is NOT a dog constitutes a contradiction.

For your example to work, the Bible would have to say that Jesus was born in 4 A.D. and he was not born in 4 A.D., but the Bible doesn't say that. So the passages you have cited are not contradictory. You have been given several valid explanations of why both Matthew and Luke can both be correct. If you don't find any of them compelling, that's fine, but why start another thread to be told the exact same things as in the other thread? I'm not going to repeat myself by reiterating what I wrote there.

When critics of the Bible point out what they feel are discrepancies that discredit the Bible, it is usually the case that those discrepancies can be addressed with rational, logical explanations if the critic is a) willing to do the study required to find them and b) willing to entertain the explanations with an open mind and honesty, not a desperate need to dismiss the Bible as the words of man instead of the Word of God.

Besides, in this particular forum, it is a given that the Bible is a valid book, unless I misunderstand the rules. Here is the quotation that I believe is pertinent:

Criticism of sources, authorship, or redaction with the intent to discredit the authority of the canon are more appropriate for the Christianity and Apologetics subforum.

Therefore, I think both of your threads on the topic are misplaced.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Do you acceept scriptural contradictions?

Post #4

Post by Checkpoint »

polonius wrote: Christian religions use the Bible as their fundamental source which they may consider "God breathed."

But in Matthew we are told that Jesus was born during the days of King Herod who died about 4 BC, in Luke we have Jesus born during the 6 AD census of Judea.

Is this credible?
No, it is not credible.

This is just one of the many "contradictions" that skeptics misuse the Bible to, effectively, sow doubt and disbelief into believers.

Believers find credible answers and explanations to, effectively, strengthen the faith of their brothers and sisters.

Grace and peace.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Do you acceept scriptural contradictions?

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

Checkpoint wrote:
polonius wrote: Christian religions use the Bible as their fundamental source which they may consider "God breathed."

Is this credible?
No, it is not credible.
Thank you. A source that credited someone being born during the Eisenhower administration AND the 2003 invasion of Iraq would not be credible
Checkpoint wrote: This is just one of the many "contradictions"
Agree. There are many contradictions in the Bible (often denied or dismissed by Apologists)
Checkpoint wrote: that skeptics misuse the Bible to,
How, exactly, is it ‘misuse of the Bible’ to point out its errors?

I understand that Bible defenders resent having errors pointed out to them and others (particularly others since those who are firmly committed typically dismiss errors).
Checkpoint wrote: effectively,
Yes, it is effective to point out errors in a supposedly true source
Checkpoint wrote: sow doubt and disbelief into believers.
Discrediting a flawed source SHOULD ‘sow doubt and disbelief’ in ALL who are interested in truth and accuracy.
Checkpoint wrote: Believers find credible answers and explanations
Kindly ‘answer or explain’ how one could be born “during the days of King Herod who died about 4 BC� AND “during the 6 AD census of Judea�
Checkpoint wrote: to, effectively, strengthen the faith of their brothers and sisters.
What is the worth of a ‘faith’ that is strengthened by anything other than truth and accuracy?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

Checkpoint wrote:

Is this credible?
No, it is not credible.

This is just one of the many "contradictions" that skeptics misuse the Bible to, effectively, sow doubt and disbelief into believers.

Believers find credible answers and explanations to, effectively, strengthen the faith of their brothers and sisters.

Grace and peace.
Moderator Comment

This post of yours contains multiple, overlapping infractions. First, unsupported claims. Please provide evidence instead of simply making dismissive statements. Second, it's a bit preachy. And finally, the post really amounts to a 3 sentence "one liner" and does not advance the debate much at all.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.