multiple threads on the same topic

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Overcomer
Guru

multiple threads on the same topic

Post #1

Post by Overcomer »

There are some people here who start threads on the same topic over and over and over again. Years ago, when I was a moderator on a forum, we wouldn't allow that there. We asked people to confine all their comments on the same topic to one thread as they just cluttered up the forum with identical conversations. If they refused to do so, we would lock their threads and issue warnings. We allowed them to start new threads on previously-discussed topics if they approached them from an entirely new perspective, taking the topic in a new direction that encouraged new discussion. They couldn't just repeat themselves over and over and over again.

I haven't seen anything in the rules here about that although I may have missed something on the topic. Have the moderators discussed such a thing? If not, would it be worthwhile to consider such an approach here?

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

There's no strict enforcement of this.

If a thread of the same topic hasn't had any activity for a long time, it's OK to start a similar thread. However, if there's already an active thread on the same topic, a new thread should not be started.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

Thanks for the response, otseng. Yes, I can see that a topic that hasn't been discussed recently can be raised again. However, I'm thinking specifically of people who start new threads on the same topic in a short space of time. For example, polonius started three threads on the topic of the date of Christ's birth in the last week or so. That seems a bit much to me. Surely one thread would suffice.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: multiple threads on the same topic

Post #4

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 1 by Overcomer]

I've noticed that some threads deal with subjects similar to a topic I would like to dedicate a thread of my own to. I usually check those threads to see if the details of what's being discussed are the same as mine. If I think there's too little difference, then I may post on that thread rather than start a new thread.

I will keep your comments in mind when starting new threads.