The hypocritic oath?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

The hypocritic oath?

Post #1

Post by kcplusdc@yahoo.com »

Everyone believes in untruths. Just part of our wiring, really can't be avoided. In fact the way we see our surroundings are not accurate representations of whats around. Pattern seakers, we tend to fill in the blanks, often, pretty poorly as it turns out.
Your memories? Like that one time at Band Camp? Turns out memories are often scewed or fabrications.
Eye witnesses accounts? Same thing, often not accurate.

So we all basically walk around full of beans, some more than others, but its unavoidable. Even our scientific beliefs, tomorrow they may understood to be wrong.
Not to worry though, beliefs dont need to be true to produce results. (Spoiler Alert)
Consider Santa, not real but at one point you may have believed and acted like he was real. If you had children, you may have even perpetuated this fraud with them.
Totally bogus, but still my greatest Christmas memory was when Santa thought my parents had got me an Atari, so he got me some games for it, but after i had opened all the loot under the tree there was no Atari to play them with. Turns out that my parents had one in the closet wear my coat was, which i found when we headed out to Christmas brunch. Totally fell apart, crying and all the ear marks of a real emotional reaction.
So i guess my question is, if we all live in a dream, why point out specific dreams as fictional? When you get right down to it none of us live in the real world, just the ones of our making.

Tcg
Savant

Re: The hypocritic oath?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

kcplusdc@yahoo.com wrote:
So i guess my question is, if we all live in a dream, why point out specific dreams as fictional?

You'd need to support your claim that we all live in a dream before this question would need to be addressed.

Please provide verifiable evidence that your claim that we all live in a dream is factual. If and when you do that, your as yet unsupported claim may be worth addressing.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

ok?

Post #3

All statements are factual, common knowledge really.
Statement about living in a dream is a literary device. Not meant in the strict sense.
There fore no evidence is needed.

I imagine belief can even make one bias, or blind. Another interesting phenomena of belief. What you believe might actually be true but because of baggage the belief causes it warps your world view and creates areas of untruth and blind spots.

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

Struggle within...

Post #4

Placebo effect is another example. Just thinking its medicine whether it is or not may have an effect. The dream of taking the pill that makes you smaller just might do the job. Just ask Alice.
The power of positive thinking? Should I attack that as foolish?
Lets face it the truth of the matter is that we all could be cooked by gamma rays or some other cosmic events at any moment. Not to mention earth quakes, tidal waves or a particularly bad strain of the flu.
Statistically chances are you will be robbed, get cancer or worse. Whats there to be so positive about anyway?
Don't even get me started about positive affirmations. What a crock.
Guess what, chances are your kids are not that cute, smart or any of the other love dovey beliefs we attach to them.

For me, I dont see how you can point out one particular belief system as possibly bunk without becoming intellectually dishonest in the process? On top of that for our purposes here a generic God model can't be disproven. Worse, even if it is totally false, as a vehicle of belief people can and do have real effects from it. Which makes it real enough.

I suppose that is why I encourage an independent investigation of truth. Find your truth, chances are its just as bogus as everyone elses.