Out-of-body experiences

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Out-of-body experiences

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

Has anyone on this forum had an out-of-body experience? I bought this book Navigating the Out-of-Body Experience: Radical New Techniques on 23 August 2018 and have been trying to have one since then but still have not managed to have one. I would be grateful if you would share your experiences with me. Thank you.

Swami
Sage

Re: Out-of-body experiences

Post #2

Post by Swami »

[Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]
I have had OBEs. I would say many but there are only a few that I was real certain of and that I remember vividly. The questionable ones occurred while I was very sleepy so they may've happened as part of a dream.

I can say that if you're a Christian then you should believe in OBEs since the apostle Paul had one. The only uncertainty should be how to have them, whether they happen involuntarily or voluntarily. Many have claimed to find a way to have them voluntarily and that is through meditation or some state where you're focused on your mind. There are various visualization techniques that one can use to induce the OBE. The logic behind these techniques is to "dissociate" your consciousness from your body.

One visualization technique involves using extra arms to pull myself out of my body. This involves imagining that I have extra spiritual arms that can stretch out like Mr. Fantastic from Fantastic 4. I then imagine myself stretching out those arms to grab something above and beside or in front of my body. I then use that as an anchor and then to try to pull myself out of body. I'm relaxed doing this and accepting whatever sensations, and I eventually find myself out of my body.

I stopped working on OBEs because I found that transcendental experiences were better and more important.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

It's my view that you only achieve Out-of-body experiences by Near death situations where your soul is forced outside your body and in such a fashion that you need to retake your body.

The rest of the Out-of-body experiences debate is just BS. :study: :D 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Compassionist
Guru

Post #4

Post by Compassionist »

[Replying to post 2 by Swami]

Thank you Swami for sharing your experience and insights with me. I will keep trying to have an OBE.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #5

Post by Compassionist »

Aetixintro wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

It's my view that you only achieve Out-of-body experiences by Near death situations where your soul is forced outside your body and in such a fashion that you need to retake your body.

Thank you for your reply. The man who wrote the book I mentioned in my original post said that he has had many voluntary OBEs (that were not NDEs) using the many techniques in his book. I will keep trying to have one. I had a NDE but that was not OBE as I did not see my body at all. I just saw a tunnel and some luminous people who spoke to me. According to my secular friends that was just a hallucination and there is no such thing as a soul. I am agnostic about the existence of an immortal soul.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

Aetixintro wrote:
Moderator Comment

Using initials instead of the actual profanity does not take away the offensivness of the statement. Please avoid this in future.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Overcomer
Guru

Post #7

Post by Overcomer »

Swami wrote:
I can say that if you're a Christian then you should believe in OBEs since the apostle Paul had one. The only uncertainty should be how to have them, whether they happen involuntarily or voluntarily.
For a Christian, it isn't a voluntary experience. It is one initiated by the Lord for his purposes, not ours, as in the case of Paul. It falls in the same realm as visions and dreams through which God speaks to us.

To seek an OBE or "astral projection" is to dabble in the occult and is forbidden by God (Gal. 5:19,20). It opens a person up to the demonic forces in the heavenly realms. It is, therefore, spiritually dangerous.

I'm not sure why one would seek such an experience. By all means ask the Lord to reveal himself to you, but allow him to do it in his way, in his time. To do otherwise is definitely a risky business and could bring nasty results you hadn't anticipated. The devil looks for such opportunities to enter a person's life and being.

See here:

https://www.gotquestions.org/out-of-bod ... ience.html

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

@

Razorsedge Swami: I can say that if you're a Christian then you should believe in OBEs since the apostle Paul had one. The only uncertainty should be how to have them, whether they happen involuntarily or voluntarily.

Overcomer: For a Christian, it isn't a voluntary experience. It is one initiated by the Lord for his purposes, not ours, as in the case of Paul. It falls in the same realm as visions and dreams through which God speaks to us.

William: In my experience as a Christian, I have had it verified as True and that my first few experiences were definitely involuntary, and sharply on the heals of my becoming a Christian.
I considered these as some kind of an 'attack', which is only quite natural in regard to common Christian beliefs.
It appeared no physical harm was being done, though the mental aspects of my being were getting a shake-up....or as it turned out - an Awake-up.
It has been a long journey.

Inevitably, because I kept my faith in The Father and The Son, I had no choice but to understand that these were indeed initiated by the Lord for his purposes, and learned to go with the flow, rather than putting any shadow upon it.

Ultimately this is exactly HOW Jesus shows us The Knowledge of The Secrets of The Kingdom of Heaven.

I did eventually learn to have a voluntary OBE, which settled it for me. I did not go too far from home, but just enough to realize that it was The Truth. We are Spiritual Beings ...encased in the flesh of an awesome biology.

I am happy in that knowledge and accept the Nuances of Heaven. These are Music to The Ear.

We should not be afraid of our Selves.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #9

Post by Compassionist »

Overcomer wrote: Swami wrote:
I can say that if you're a Christian then you should believe in OBEs since the apostle Paul had one. The only uncertainty should be how to have them, whether they happen involuntarily or voluntarily.
For a Christian, it isn't a voluntary experience. It is one initiated by the Lord for his purposes, not ours, as in the case of Paul. It falls in the same realm as visions and dreams through which God speaks to us.

To seek an OBE or "astral projection" is to dabble in the occult and is forbidden by God (Gal. 5:19,20). It opens a person up to the demonic forces in the heavenly realms. It is, therefore, spiritually dangerous.

I'm not sure why one would seek such an experience. By all means ask the Lord to reveal himself to you, but allow him to do it in his way, in his time. To do otherwise is definitely a risky business and could bring nasty results you hadn't anticipated. The devil looks for such opportunities to enter a person's life and being.

See here:

https://www.gotquestions.org/out-of-bod ... ience.html
The reason I am seeking to have OBE voluntarily is that I am a scientist and a philosopher. I want to know what it is like to have an OBE. I am familiar with the Bible. I was forced to conclude that it is false and unethical after reading all of it. I am not trying to convert you or anyone else out of Christianity. I respect everyone's Human Rights. One of these rights is being free to follow any religion or no religion. If you want to, please see http://www.evilbible.com and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com Thank you for your reply.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #10

Post by Compassionist »

William wrote: @

Razorsedge Swami: I can say that if you're a Christian then you should believe in OBEs since the apostle Paul had one. The only uncertainty should be how to have them, whether they happen involuntarily or voluntarily.

Overcomer: For a Christian, it isn't a voluntary experience. It is one initiated by the Lord for his purposes, not ours, as in the case of Paul. It falls in the same realm as visions and dreams through which God speaks to us.

William: In my experience as a Christian, I have had it verified as True and that my first few experiences were definitely involuntary, and sharply on the heals of my becoming a Christian.
I considered these as some kind of an 'attack', which is only quite natural in regard to common Christian beliefs.
It appeared no physical harm was being done, though the mental aspects of my being were getting a shake-up....or as it turned out - an Awake-up.
It has been a long journey.

Inevitably, because I kept my faith in The Father and The Son, I had no choice but to understand that these were indeed initiated by the Lord for his purposes, and learned to go with the flow, rather than putting any shadow upon it.

Ultimately this is exactly HOW Jesus shows us The Knowledge of The Secrets of The Kingdom of Heaven.

I did eventually learn to have a voluntary OBE, which settled it for me. I did not go too far from home, but just enough to realize that it was The Truth. We are Spiritual Beings ...encased in the flesh of an awesome biology.

I am happy in that knowledge and accept the Nuances of Heaven. These are Music to The Ear.

We should not be afraid of our Selves.
Thank you for your reply. I am agnostic about whether or not we have immortal souls. 84% of humans currently believe in one religion or another. Most of them believe in the resurrection of our immortal souls which will then go to hell or heaven. Some of them believe in reincarnation according to the karmic bank balance. I am skeptical about both resurrection and reincarnation. I think that OBEs and NDEs are the products of a malfunctioning brain. I have experienced dreams, delusions and hallucinations and am convinced that these are all products of our neurochemistry. I don't think that we are immortal spiritual beings in a physical body. I think we are impermanent constructs made of atoms, as are all living things. When we die, our atoms become part of other living and non-living things. As I am an open-minded person, I am open to be proven wrong with incontrovertible evidence for the existence and the resurrection or reincarnation of immortal souls. So far, I have not found such evidence but I will keep looking until I die.