Covington Catholic student and media bias

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

RightReason
Under Probation

Covington Catholic student and media bias

Post #1

Post by RightReason »

Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann prepares lawsuit against media and others for perpetuating fake news.

Your thoughts?

Kenisaw
Guru

Re: Covington Catholic student and media bias

Post #2

Post by Kenisaw »

RightReason wrote: Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann prepares lawsuit against media and others for perpetuating fake news.

Your thoughts?
Well, he is specifically suing for libel. He probably has a case. His lawsuit against the Washington Post was news today. I imagine that won't be the only one.

Given the rather quick and unverified way news is being delivered these days, perhaps a successful lawsuit will help push journalists back towards journalistic norms...

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 2 by Kenisaw]

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I am still amazed at how many still actually believe the original fake story. Anyone who watches the actual footage from the event (and there are multiple recordings, views, and angles) can see that not only was Nick Sandmann 100% blameless, he actually acted respectfully and appropriately -- the very opposite of what was reported about him.

In fact, in the whole scenario, he was surrounded by adults behaving badly and he didn't take their bait. He was the one being harassed by adults that should have known better.

Perhaps, this story gets to me because my son, who goes to an all boy Catholic high school, also attended the very same March For Life this year that Nick attended. It could have been him. (Although my son would never wear a MAGA hat -- even though that would be an entirely appropriate thing to do at the March For Life because Trump is the most pro life president we have had to date and wearing a MAGA hat would be a way of saying thank you Mr. President for standing up for life). It is difficult not to recognize Nick was targeted because of the hat he was wearing.

I ask everyone what should the boy have done if someone singled them out, came up to them and started beating a drum in their face? What should have been the boy's response? Nick responded far better than everyone else.

And what does the media do when they realized they had gotten the facts wrong? They just said, "Oops, our bad" issued some small retraction, but the damage is done. How cruel to throw some young kid under the bus just to try to advance some intended narrative. Someone needs to be held responsible.

This story really gets me . . .

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to RightReason]

So, disappointed that a judge through out Nick's case against the Washington Post, but so happy his family is appealing.

I am seriously shocked that a newspaper could get away with printing fabricating a story and damaging the good name of an innocent person and not have to make any sort of reparation. This is unbelievable to me.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to RightReason]

So, disappointed that a judge through out Nick's case against the Washington Post, but so happy his family is appealing.

I am seriously shocked that a newspaper could get away with printing fabricating a story and damaging the good name of an innocent person and not have to make any sort of reparation. This is unbelievable to me.

A few people misunderstood some kid's intention at a rally in D.C. The kid doesn't deserve to become a multi-millionaire over the misunderstanding.

Let him grow up and get a honest job like the rest of us. It's a shame lawyers never learned that lesson.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to Tcg]
A few people misunderstood some kid's intention at a rally in D.C. The kid doesn't deserve to become a multi-millionaire over the misunderstanding.

Let him grow up and get a honest job like the rest of us. It's a shame lawyers never learned that lesson.
It’s not about the money. Unfortunately, maybe if someone got hit in the pocketbook, they wouldn’t take slander so lightly. That completely innocent kid may now be prevented from earning an honest living. People will forever be able to Google him and know him unfairly as ‘smirk face’ He will forever come with this baggage that he didn’t ask for and didn’t deserve, while the reporters, “journalists�, and execs Washington Post just laugh, say oops, and move on. Maybe they should try actually working an honest job.

In my opinion the guilty parties should have to pay. I wish those fighting against the bigotted left wing media luck.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to Tcg]

It’s not about the money.

If it weren't about the money, there would be no lawsuit. He wants to cash in over a misunderstanding. If it weren't about money, he'd present his case at his own expense.

His handlers want him to recoup some of the money the Catholic church has lost due to the sexual assault it's priests have committed. It is money that makes the monkey dance. Not honor, not purity, not righteousness... money... and that is what he is being directed to seek.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to Tcg]
if it weren't about the money, there would be no lawsuit. He wants to cash in over a misunderstanding. If it weren't about money, he'd present his case at his own expense.
Wrong. You weren’t paying attention. The money is to hit the Washington Post where it hurts, otherwise they simply continue to think they can get away with pushing their false narratives. If they truly believed journalists need to stick to the facts, they should in good conscious make reparation for their egregious sloppy and even vindictive reporting.
His handlers want him to recoup some of the money the Catholic church has lost due to the sexual assault it's priests have committed. It is money that makes the monkey dance.
That is an asinine comment because if you knew the facts you would know that Nick is actually suing his own Catholic diocese because they threw him under the bus when the Post first published its fake story. They wanted to distance themselves from Nick and suspended him from coming to school. So, it appears you know little about what you are talking about.