How is Christianity not a Negative and Dismal Theology?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

How is Christianity not a Negative and Dismal Theology?

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

Christian theology begins with Adam and Eve falling from grace. There's certainly nothing positive about that.

According to the Bible mankind only got progressively worse until the God had to drown out the entire species of humans in a Great Flood save for just a handful of one family and their spouses.

After that event everything went downhill again becoming no better than it was before the Great Flood.

Finally, this God supposedly became incarnate as a human on earth via the virgin-born Jesus. Was totally ineffective in convincing any religious or government leaders to change their ways in the slightest. And was supposedly crucified to pay for the sins of only those who would be willing to accept this crucifixion on their behalf as their penal substitute.

Supposedly only a "few" totally undeserving humans will be granted undeserved grace if they agree to accepting Christ's act of penal substitution on their behalf.

Notice that even the "few" who have received this undeserved grace did not earn it on their own merit. It is necessarily strictly forbidden in this theology that any human should merit their own salvation.

So what do we end up with? :-k

A religion where a few undeserving evil people are granted undeserved amnesty for having condoned the crucifixion of Christ as their penal substitute.

Now I can see where the people who believe that they are among these few evil people who have been granted undeserved grace are "rejoicing" that they will no longer be condemned.

But is that truly a positive religion? :-k

Sounds pretty dismal to me. All humans are condemned in this religion, and the only ones who can escape condemnation are those who are willing to have Christ crucified on their behalf.

I just can't see where there is anything positive in this religion?

I mean, I can see where those who thought they were doomed and believed to have been "saved" will see this as the greatest thing ever. But the fact that they had to first believe they were doomed is already a negative thing to begin with.

Question for Debate:

How exactly is Christianity supposed to be a positive or optimistic religion?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

sorrento
Student

Re: How is Christianity not a Negative and Dismal Theology?

Post #91

Post by sorrento »

[Replying to post 88 by Swami]

Swami, you quoted Koenig as saying, "Generally, religious people have a positive view of the world. They believe they are here for a reason. They see a purpose and a meaning in their life and have hope."
My experience is of many Christians calling non-believers "worldly" that the world is sinful and that the non -believer takes pleasure in the sins of the world. Some actually give the impression that they hate the world and can't wait to leave it to receive their "heavenly reward". Not exactly a positive view of the world and those who share this planet with them, but what really annoys me is Koenig seeming to imply that while the religious have a purpose and meaning to their life, non-believers do not.
If that is indeed what he is implying, then the only thing I can say about it is that he is talking absolute rubbish. I have lived most of the years I am going to get, but I can't remember when my life did not have meaning and purpose. My life still has meaning and purpose, but that meaning and purpose is based on reality, not in the hope of going to some Disney World in the sky when I die!