Zzyzx
Site Supporter

How do you know so much about God?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

How do you know so much about God?

I study the Bible

I have read the Bible too

But I believe and I study the Bible not just read it.

I don’t believe. Does that mean that I can’t learn?

You cannot learn its true meaning and its lessons without believing

Questions for debate:

1. Does ‘must believe to learn’ apply in general or just to the Bible?

2. Does a Bible scholar who isn’t a believer know less than bible readers who believe?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Eloi wrote: Do I need to demonstrate that atheistic believe in evolution because that's what other people tell them?

And don't take "you" in a personal way ... unfortunately English language don't differenciate among the singular you and the plural. That "you" in that post was a plural YOU. :D
Then that claim does indeed include a claim about what I believe as I am part of the plural YOU. You made the very claim you denied making.

Now that you have admitted doing so, please explain how you know what I believe.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Eloi »

Tcg, stop personalizing the post. Can you please go back to what is this post about? Thanks.

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

Eloi wrote: Tcg, stop personalizing the post. Can you please go back to what is this post about? Thanks.

You personalized your post by claiming to know what I personally believe. I'll take this retreat as your admission that you don't know what I believe and therefore can't support your claim to know so.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom