The pursuit of knowledge and truth, through God, through science, through civil and engaging debate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

If you are not a vegan, please state why you are not a vegan. Thank you.
1. I love the taste of meat, dairy, honey, etc.
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
2. I love to use leather, silk, wool, etc.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
3. I am too lazy.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4. I don't care about the suffering and death of the sentient organisms whose products e.g. meat, milk, honey, silk, wool, leather, etc. I consume.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5. I don't care about the environment as veganism is better for the environment.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6. I don't care about my long-term health as veganism is better for my long-term health.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
7. I don't want to save money on food as vegan food is cheaper.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8. I am ignorant and can't be bothered to do the research.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9. I am selfish.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10. I have poor self-control and give in to temptations.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
11. All of the above.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Compassionist
First Post
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:20 pm  Are you a vegan? If not, why not? Reply with quote

I was raised to be an omnivore. I first became a vegan on 1 August 2006 but I was unable to sustain it due to my ignorance. However, I became a vegan again in 2010 and again failed. Then I tried again from 4 January 2018. Apart from rare exceptions when I gave in to eating milk chocolate or dairy ice-cream or egg products, I have been managing to be a vegan. Are you a vegan? If not, why not? I really want to understand your position. Since there are Christians on this forum, please note: "Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." - Genesis 1:29, The Bible (New International Version). Thank you.
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 21: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:40 pm
Re: Are you a vegan? If not, why not?

Like this post
[Replying to Compassionist]

I am not a vegan, but your reasons for not being vegan seem to be a bit biased.

I am not a vegan because I do not believe man is expected to be vegan. As a Christian, Scripture is clear that God gave man dominion over even the animals of the earth. Scripture also is full of beautiful stories like the Prodigal son where the father prepares the fatted calf to celebrate his son's return.

Of course, I am against the cruel treatment of animals. And we are called to be good stewards of the earth, but that does not mean that man should never eat animals. It simply does not say that. It's kind of like when the Puritans outlawed alcohol and said God fearing people should never indulge in drink, but that is kind of silly considering Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine.

The truth is there is a time and place for enjoying meat and or alcoholic beverages. Of course, we can't be gluttonous or set out to get drunk, but nothing wrong with enjoying God's beautiful gifts to us.

Be vegan if you want. Americans probably eat way too much meat. As a Catholic, we never eat meat on Fridays just as a general penance offering. It can be a beautiful sacrifice to give up something one loves. But in y opinion it would be wrong to think being vegan is somehow more righteous or moral than eating meat. I disagree with that. All things can be abused, but there is nothing inherently wrong with eating meat.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 22: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:15 am

Like this post
I like eating animal products and will continue to do so. In my opinion, animals of others species are there for human use, eating, clothing and medical experimentation. When they are slaughtered it should be done as quickly as possible to save them from too much discomfort.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 23: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:15 pm
Im a hypocrite...

Like this post
Everytime I see one of those secret videos taken from inside one of those factory farm death camps it makes me sick.
I understand too that eating meat is wasteful from a land, resource, energy perspective.
I don't think animals should suffer or be tortured to end up on my plate.
I like fruits and vegetables.
I generally don't go out of my way to squish bugs or other ickys. (Spiders I do not have that agreement with)

I was even a vegan for over a year once.

But its really a pain in the ass to follow that path. Endless reading of ingredients, the constant let down when the last ingredient turns out to be a food coloring that is made with crushed up beetles or some other deal breaker that torpedoes your hopes.
Not to mention perfect adherence is impossible. The usda allows for a certain amount of spiders and bug parts in your rice, corn and the like.
Every step you take something suffers , its unavoidable.
Oh and unless you live in an enlightened area you can kiss going out to eat good by. Especially in the area of Texas where i live in. Vegan is thought to be a sexually transmitted disease here.

Plus you constantly have to explain to other meat eaters why you are crazy.

Honestly, I had worked for these buisness owners for awhile when one day they offered to buy lunch. I dumbed it down for them and said sure, but im a vegitarian so get me a salad or something. Instantly a wierd silence descended on the group, rhen finally the owner said with great concern, "Vegitarian? My God what do you eat then?"
I did my best to soothe his fears, but to no avail, he brought me back a sandwich with meat in it anyway.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 24: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:05 am

Like this post
https://naturalsociety.com/malnourished-vegan-baby-removed-from-parents-custody-...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/11/italian-baby-fed-v...

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/05/19/malnourished-baby-dies-after-parents...

Why didn't the OP put for a reason that it kills babies?

What about we are born to eat meat?

What about vegans are idiots?

Vegans are a small small percent and they try like hell to convince others that they are right.

Just look at the questions that the OP had as reason not to be a Vegan. They think because they have a crazy lifestyle everyone should.

Goto top, bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter