Why does Jesus die so quickly on the cross?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Daddieslittlehelper
Scholar

Why does Jesus die so quickly on the cross?

Post #1

Post by Daddieslittlehelper »

Some people argue that Jesus was not on the cross long enought to actually have died as it takes days to die from cruxifiction.

Yet actually if you listen to what Jesus says: He says

John 10.17 The Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.

And interestingly on the cross Jesus says just before he dies
John 19.30 Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

So it appears It was not the cross that killed Jesus actually he had the power to give up his life when ever he wanted to, and also take his life back up again also.

This certainly could explain why Jesus dies so quickly on the cross. As he could give up his spirit whenever he wanted to.

And it's interesting some say that Jesus says "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" To referrence the suffering servant but actually he is starting to sing the 22 psalm

1My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, and from the words of my groaning?

2My God, I cry in the daytime, but you don't answer; in the night season, and am not silent.

3But you are holy, you who inhabit the praises of Israel.

4Our fathers trusted in you. They trusted, and you delivered them.

5They cried to you, and were delivered. They trusted in you, and were not disappointed.

6But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised by the people.

7All those who see me mock me. They insult me with their lips. They shake their heads, saying,

8"He trusts in Yahweh; let him deliver him. Let him rescue him, since he delights in him."
Matt 27.42

9But you brought me out of the womb. You made me trust at my mother's breasts.

10I was thrown on you from my mother's womb. You are my God since my mother bore me. luke 1

11Don't be far from me, for trouble is near. For there is none to help.

12Many bulls have surrounded me. Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me.

13They open their mouths wide against me, lions tearing prey and roaring.

14I am poured out like water. All my bones are out of joint. My heart is like wax; it is melted within me. (john 19.34)

15My strength is dried up like a potsherd. My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. You have brought me into the dust of death.

16For dogs have surrounded me. A company of evildoers have enclosed me. They have pierced my hands and feet.

17I can count all of my bones. They look and stare at me.

18They divide my garments among them. They cast lots for my clothing. (john 19.24)

19But don't be far off, Yahweh. You are my help: hurry to help me.

20Deliver my soul from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dog.

21Save me from the lion's mouth! Yes, from the horns of the wild oxen, you have answered me.

22I will declare your name to my brothers. In the midst of the assembly, I will praise you. John 17.6

23You who fear Yahweh, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, glorify him! Stand in awe of him, all you descendants of Israel!

24For he has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, Neither has he hidden his face from him; but when he cried to him, he heard.

25Of you comes my praise in the great assembly. I will pay my vows before those who fear him.

26The humble shall eat and be satisfied. They shall praise Yahweh who seek after him. Let your hearts live forever.

27All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to Yahweh. All the relatives of the nations shall worship before you.

28For the kingdom is Yahweh's. He is the ruler over the nations. matt 24.14

29All the rich ones of the earth shall eat and worship. All those who go down to the dust shall bow before him, even he who can't keep his soul alive.

30 Posterity shall serve him. Future generations shall be told about the Lord.

31They shall come and shall declare his righteousness to a people that shall be born, for he has done it.

Any thoughts?
"Be loving as your lord is loving´ Christian ´Compassionate as Allah is compassionate´ Muslim, and Jew,´be humble and love Yihweh your God with everything you´ve got´"

"Look! More Queens then Beas is a bad thing!"

"Judge others as you wish to be judged"

Quotes:- ME

Oh and "yes these are my ideas!"

"the Golden rule of Buddism is not ´it´s every monk for himself´Quote- A.f.c.W

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: Why does Jesus die so quickly on the cross?

Post #41

Post by PinSeeker »

marco wrote: Have you read any Tacitus?
Yes.
marco wrote: He was a good historian.
I agree. I never said he was a bad historian.
marco wrote: So let's not call him a good little Roman.
I'm sure he was a good Roman citizen. There. Is that better? :)
marco wrote: He stuck closer to truth than the atrocious Matthew.
LOL! You know what they say about opinions, I'm sure: like noses, everybody has one... :D

marco
Savant

Post #42

Post by marco »

PinSeeker wrote:
marco wrote: He stuck closer to truth than the atrocious Matthew.
You know what they say about opinions, I'm sure: like noses, everybody has one...
Tacitus might have expressed this as : quot homines, tot sententiae. It hardly requires informed opinion to sum up the stupidity of Matthew: corpses pushed themselves out of the soil and headed towards Jerusalem. Tacitus was a historian, Matthew histrionic.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by PinSeeker »

[Replying to post 41 by marco]

Yes, some find it impossible to believe Matthew. This is does not have any impact on whether he was truthful or not and is thus immaterial. That's the thing about opinions, as I whimsically said.

This is fun, is it not? :D

marco
Savant

Post #44

Post by marco »

PinSeeker wrote:

Yes, some find it impossible to believe Matthew. This does not have any impact on whether he was truthful or not and is thus immaterial.

Let's just say we have become vacantly facetious. One might with equal justification say Matthew had big feet but that doesn't mean he wasn't a vegetarian.

Let us add that when we hear Matthew talking about Jesus, we can readily believe Jesus never existed. But I agree that stupidity smetimes issues profundity.

Before I leave our valued exchange, let me recall the final lines of a poem that may or may not be relevant:

" I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
I have wasted my life. "

May your God assist you in all your enterprises and grant you discernment. Go well.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #45

Post by PinSeeker »

marco wrote: Let's just say we have become vacantly facetious. One might with equal justification say Matthew had big feet but that doesn't mean he wasn't a vegetarian.
Like I have said (many times), do what you want, my friend.
marco wrote: Let us add that when we hear Matthew talking about Jesus, we can readily believe Jesus never existed.
Like I have said (many times) along with the great Simon and Garfunkel, still a man (often) hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
marco wrote: But I agree that stupidity sometimes issues profundity.
Like I have said (many times), putting words in another's mouth is quite uncool, my friend.
marco wrote: ...valued exchange...
Valued by you? Ah, perhaps I'm wrong, but I think you are lying here. It seems quite obvious that you have been bothered progressively through this exchange, to the point of becoming very angry.
marco wrote: May your God assist you in all your enterprises and grant you discernment.
Thank you, and may my God -- the One True God -- make Himself known to you, assist you in the same manner, and subsequently do the same for you as he has for me. To that end:

The LORD bless you, and keep you; the LORD make His face shine on you, and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up His countenance on you, and give you peace (Numbers 6:24-26)
marco wrote: Go well.
Grace and peace to you.