Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Jesus' unfulfiled prophecies.

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Prophecies of the messiah not fulfilled by Jesus:

Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4)

The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17)

All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)

There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8)

All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19)

Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)

The Temple will be rebuilt resuming many of the suspended mitzvot (Ezekiel 40)

He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9)

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #21

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
The Apostle Peter later wrote at 2 Pet 3:8 that "a thousand years for a thousand years are like a day to God" so even a seven-thousand year wait would be just a short week from the perspective of He who would be deciding in how long the "long" would be (Compare Acts1:7).[/list]
Any astute reader can see that Christians are clearly taking this verse out of context to try to manipulate time frames of prophecies. .

Remember, this is a book that is God's message to mankind so why on earth would he start adding in words and descriptions that are specifically meaningful only to gods and have them written by humans for humans?

It doesn't make sense.

Why would a god use the human word for "soon" and descriptions like it. when he meant something that didn't mean soon? Why use god speak in the middle of human speak?

He'd be an idiot if he did.

Why would he warn us all that Jesus is coming soon when he's not actually coming soon but 2000 years down the track?

How stupid would that be?

If God is having words written down for humans he's not going to suddenly throw in God speak into the middle of it. It would be like writing a book for cats and throwing in a "WOOF" in the middle of it.

It's like writing a book for small children and throwing in adult language. He would be a completely useless communicator if he did.

No clearly you can't take that verse and try to apply it to prophecies it just doesn't make any sense. When God says soon or when God gives numbers of days or years he's not speaking in some airy fairy God language there. He's using words that we as humans will understand.

You can try to justify it all you like. but I doubt Jesus ever intended any of his words to be attributed 2000 years to the future.

Astute bible students will realise that St Paul believed Jesus was returning in his life time. Paul believed that Jesus prophecies were going to take place then not in 2000 years time. Paul would never have believed any of them were for people 2000 years in the future.

Was Paul wrong by believing Jesus's return was eminent? If he was then you can't possibly take anything he says seriously.

JehovahsWitness wrote:
CONCLUSION: Jesus indicated there would be a long wait between his first century ministry and his return in kingdom power. Astute bible students have long noted time prophecies that indicate that wait would indeed be thousands of years long but persist in heeding the warning to "Keep on the Watch"!
You call them astute. I call them desperate to justify faiiled prophecies.

Astute people, who don't have god glasses on, can see that these arguments being made here are just a way to excuse clearly failed prophecies. To try to make them still valid.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #22

Post by brianbbs67 »

Here is my take on this. The Messiah came first as prophecised, as a suffering servant. The spring/summer holy days were fulfilled. The second coming will be with fire and a sword with the army of the Lord(Isaiah). Fulfilling the fall feasts/holy days. So we wait.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

polonius wrote: While Jesus said he would return while some of those standing there were still alive (see Matthew and Luke), it simply hasn't happened.
Did Jesus say the people "standing" with him during the 1st century would witness his return?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 24#p836624

GLOSSARY OF TERMS [END TIMES]
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #24

Post by JehovahsWitness »

OnceConvinced wrote:
Astute bible students will realise that St Paul believed Jesus was returning in his life time. Paul believed that Jesus prophecies were going to take place then not in 2000 years time. Paul would never have believed any of them were for people 2000 years in the future.

Do you have any evidence to support this claim?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Avoice
Guru

Post #25

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 5 by JehovahsWitness]

I have a similar post in which I am waiting for your response to the supposed fulfilled prophecies stated in the Christian testament.

This is a debate forum. Defend your faith. Answer what I asked you, please.p

1) Tell me what is written by the prophet Isaiah that has you believe he is talking about Jesus or the Messiah at all! Where does it say the Messiah will be a product of God impregnating a human? Virgin birth prophecy? Where?

2)Tell me how Jesus, Joseph and marry returning from Egypt fulfills a prophecy? It cites the book of Hosea as prooftext. So what did the prophet Hosea say that is about Joseph, Mary and Jesus? Where is the prophecy about them returning from Egypt as the writer of Mathew claims? In fact - show me that it's even a prophecy at all

3) Tell me how 'Rachel weeping for her children...' which was spoken by the prophet Jeremiah has to do with Herod killing the children? The writer of Mathew says it does. Tell me how

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #26

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:

Do you have any evidence to support this claim?
Many of Paul's letters. Go read them.

Here are some examples. Letters he was writing to specific people who were alive at the time. Not to people hundred of years in the future Writings not for future generations, but for those he was writing to. He even names names of people in the church to make it clear he was addressing specific people.

1 John 2: 18
Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.

Romans 13:11 And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here.

1 Corinthians 7: What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not; 30 those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31 those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

Col 1:23
He believed the gospel had been preached to all the world, which was a sign the end was near.

1Th 4:17-18
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

1Th 5:1
But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

2 Thess really has a sense of urgency that Christ’s return is eminent andw ill be witnessed by them. Also talks about an anti Christ who is supposed to appear as if it was something just around the corner.

Romans 13:11-12
And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

Philippians 4: 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

Hebrews 1: 1In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.

Hebrews 10: 36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. 37 For,“In just a little while, he who is coming will come and will not delay.�

Thessalonians 4:16-17 “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: And the dead Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: And so shall we ever be with the Lord.�

1 Corinthians 10:11: “Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World