Questions about the Earth

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

servant
Apprentice

Questions about the Earth

Post #1

Post by servant »

Did science or the bible first note that the earth hangs on nothing?

Did science or the bible first note that the earth was a circle and not flat?

brunumb
Savant

Post #141

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 139 by Revelations won]

Just because you have no current research capability available to amass substantial evidence from 4 1/2 light years away does not deny the possibility of future discovery.
Nor is it an argument in favour of speculative future discoveries. Your argument may also be used, for example, to so say that future discoveries may prove that Jesus was not a real figure in history.

Perhaps one factor which currently limits such discovery is the antiquated concept of light speed. Have you ever considered that there may be speeds much greater than "light speed?" What could that do if one were to master and utilize such a velocity principle?
It's not antiquated. Faster than light travel for objects with mass is demonstrably not possible. Look up the explanation if you really want to know why.

One concept that we need to learn and understand is that God our eternal father operates according to divine laws.
That is perhaps becoming an antiquated concept. One concept that we need to learn and understand is that God is an invented answer. It is simply a celestial gap-filler for those questions we have yet to answer. No phenomena previously attributed to a god has been resolved in favour of a god rather than natural phenomena.

For example miracles are a mystery to some religionists as well as scientists. This is no mystery to God or his true followers who are endowed with his power., which I suggest is a higher level of science than you currently comprehend and understand.
The existence of miracles has never been established. They belong in the realm of make believe and wishful thinking.

The things of man are understood by the spirit of man. The higher things of God are only comprehended by one having the spirit of God. As an atheist, this concept is foreign and incomprehensible to you.
Assertions with absolutely no basis in reality.

As I see it, God is without question, the master scientist who not only knows all science, but is the master or sovereign over all science. Having a perfect knowledge of all science, He is unlimited in his ability to operate within those laws.
As you see it. People can be convinced to 'see' all sorts of things that are not real. The myriad of religious beliefs is testament to that.

:study:

Revelations won
Sage

Post #142

Post by Revelations won »

Dear DrNoGods,

In an earlier post you stated: “Again, you are assuming that a creator exists. How do you know this being actually does exist? It is an assumption on your part that you cannot prove, and of course I cannot prove that such a creator does not exist.�

I observe by your answer that you are merely assuming that I am assuming that a creator exists. I find your self assuming response very amusing to say the least.

You asked: “How do you know this being actually does exist?�

My response: Thank you for the above question. I will respond to that question in a separate post.

You then admitted: “of course I cannot prove that such a creator does not exist.�

I find it very ironic that since you by your own admission “cannot prove that such a creator does not exist.�, that you then “

Also another Scientist, “H.Sapiens� stated:

“Once a coherent, multidisciplinary solution is found and there are no creditable contrary hypothesis that have not been falsified ... we tend to call it a fact.�

You appear to present a picture that the scientific conclusions you have arrived at are firm and concrete, whether it be regarding origins of fossils or the speed of light.

You also stated: “I can't add to Kenisaw's response on this, and agree with those comments completely. The continents have been in continuous motion for many hundreds of millions of years, and at various points have come together as basically one large land mass or "supercontinent" (Pangaea being the most recent):�

I also observe a very well stated response from a scientist on this topic “Kenisaw� who stated :

�I can guarantee there is. No scientific theory is ever complete, because no knowledge base is ever complete. There's plenty of evidence yet to be discovered. And it's entirely possible that some of that new evidence will require a new, better explanation to be generated that will replace current theories.�

From the above it would appear that you are definitely not in harmony with others of the scientific community who have responded.

Regards,
RT

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #143

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 142 by Revelations won]
From the above it would appear that you are definitely not in harmony with others of the scientific community who have responded.

I don't think that is the case. You have quote-mined some comments to try and make this point. Kenisaw's comment about science never being complete is something that I would argue most scientists accept by definition. Science is a never-ending process of making observations, taking measurements, doing various experiments, carrying out theoretical analyses, etc., all with the goal of improving understanding and explanation of the natural world. There is no "end point" where we say we know everything. I think that is what Kenisaw meant (not to put words into his mouth), and I expect H. Sapiens or any other scientist reading this forum would also agree with that general statement because it is a commonly understood position. Note that in the statement from Kenisaw that you quoted he also said "... new evidence will require a new, better explanation to be generated that will replace current theories." I would not read that (as you have apparently done), to suggest that current theories (eg. of plate tectonics) are not valid,
I find it very ironic that since you by your own admission “cannot prove that such a creator does not exist.�, that you then “

I will make another assumption that you didn't finish that thought?
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Revelations won
Sage

Post #144

Dear DRNoGods,

In an earlier post I stated: “Perhaps one factor which currently limits such discovery is the antiquated concept of light speed. Have you ever considered that there may be speeds much greater than "light speed?" What could that do if one were to master and utilize such a velocity principle?�

Your reply was: “It's not antiquated. Faster than light travel for objects with mass is demonstrably not possible. Look up the explanation if you really want to know why.�

MY RESPONSE: From my viewpoint, it appears that you are assuming that speeds faster than the speed of light are not possible according to current demonstrable evidence. That is possibly understandable considering the source of your DNA.

May I suggest that in the coming years that truly enlightened man may come to understand that there exists a higher level of scientific discovery
of which you have not even considered which will render current theories moot.

For example, was this earth, in it’s embryonic beginning, located in it’s present orbit and location? What will be it’s ultimate destiny and location?
These are questions which current science cannot fully answer at this time.

There are some who ascribe to a theory of Ex-Nihilo creation, while others
theorize a “big bang theory. From a philosophical viewpoint there is not a lot of difference between the two. For, if all this vast universe was created from either, then it is just as logical that it could reverse such creation theories and again become non-existent.

In answer to your last quote: I said: I find it very ironic that since you by your own admission “cannot prove that such a creator does not exist.�, that you then “

I apologize for that error. I was going to make another comment, but got interrupted.
I will, however expound on this intended comment in a future post.

Regards,
RT

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #145

Post by Goat »

Revelations won wrote: Dear DrNoGods

It is obvious that you cannot find any error or failure in God's divine plan for this earth.

Perhaps by way of clarification I should have presented my response as "God science" which is most appropriate, since he is indeed the "master scientist", which has all knowledge, all power and all understanding and of course the most known experience in organizing worlds without number.... Not only do you not know how all this is done, but you cannot even count the number of His creations.

Wow! I am all ears if you can give me answers on how all this began and how it is all organized and for what eternal purpose???

I don't see any evidence for what God's divine plan, or for that matter, even God. Please show how you know this divine plan, and can you show evidence for this God that does not rely on Religious Dogma, or mere speculation, poor metaphysical arguments and confirmation bias?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #146

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 144 by Revelations won]
Your reply was: “It's not antiquated. Faster than light travel for objects with mass is demonstrably not possible. Look up the explanation if you really want to know why.�
Just for the record, you replied to comments made by another poster (brunumb's post 141) rather than myself. But I'll be interested to read your comments on the unfinished comments from post 142.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Willum
Savant

Post #147

Post by Willum »

With confidence, I believe we can all say, the tiny human mind was the first to say the Earth hangs on nothing.

If you look around you, all you can see is the horizon, a circle.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Revelations won
Sage

Post #148

The OP asked the following:

Did science or the bible first note that the earth hangs on nothing?

Can you show me wherein the “earth hangs on nothing?

Did science or the bible first note that the earth was a circle and not flat?

The account regarding the rotation of the earth and other governing planets is found in the Book of Abraham

Chapter 3 : man.
1 And I, Abraham, had the aUrim and Thummim, which the Lord my God had given unto me, in Ur of the Chaldees;
2 And I saw the astars, that they were very great, and that one of them was nearest unto the throne of God; and there were many great ones which were near unto it;
3 And the Lord said unto me: These are the governing ones; and the name of the great one is aKolob, because it is near unto me, for I am the Lord thy God: I have set this one to govern all those which belong to the same order as that upon which thou standest.
4 And the Lord said unto me, by the Urim and Thummim, that Kolob was after the manner of the Lord, according to its atimes and seasons in the revolutions thereof; that one revolution was a bday unto the Lord, after his manner of reckoning, it being one thousand cyears according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest. This is the reckoning of the Lord’s dtime, according to the reckoning of Kolob.
5 And the Lord said unto me: The planet which is the lesser light, lesser than that which is to rule the day, even the night, is above or agreater than that upon which thou standest in point of reckoning, for it moveth in order more slow; this is in order because it standeth above the earth upon which thou standest, therefore the reckoning of its time is not so many as to its number of days, and of months, and of years.
6 And the Lord said unto me: Now, Abraham, these atwo facts exist, behold thine eyes see it; it is given unto thee to know the times of reckoning, and the set time, yea, the set time of the earth upon which thou standest, and the set time of the greater light which is set to rule the day, and the set time of the lesser light which is set to rule the night.
7 Now the set time of the lesser light is a longer time as to its reckoning than the reckoning of the time of the earth upon which thou standest.
8 And where these two facts exist, there shall be another fact above them, that is, there shall be another planet whose reckoning of time shall be longer still;
9 And thus there shall be the reckoning of the time of one aplanet above another, until thou come nigh unto Kolob, which Kolob is after the reckoning of the Lord’s time; which Kolob is set nigh unto the throne of God, to govern all those planets which belong to the same border as that upon which thou standest.
10 And it is given unto thee to know the set time of all the stars that are set to give light, until thou come near unto the throne of God.

If you have a scientific date that predates the above, please advise.

brunumb
Savant

Post #149

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 148 by Revelations won]
If you have a scientific date that predates the above, please advise.
The Book of Abraham is a work of fiction produced between 1835 and 1842 by Joseph Smith. So there is a wealth of material predating what you quoted.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Revelations won
Sage

Post #150

Bless you, I hope you have all your stars aligned when you meet Abraham and have the privelege of challenging his astrological knowledge.