1 Corinthians 8 - Shema Jesus

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

1 Corinthians 8 - Shema Jesus

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

1 Corinthians 8 English Standard Version (ESV)
Food Offered to Idols
1 Now concerning[a] food offered to idols: we know that “all of us possess knowledge.� This “knowledge� puffs up, but love builds up. 2 If anyone imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know. 3 But if anyone loves God, he is known by God.

4 Therefore, as to the eating of food offered to idols, we know that “an idol has no real existence,� and that “there is no God but one.� 5 For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth—as indeed there are many “gods� and many “lords�— 6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.

Here Paul references the Shema in verse 4. Paul knows, "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one".

Then Paul says this about God in verse 6:

God is the Father for whom we exist and the Lord Jesus Christ through whom we exist.

Anyone not clearly able to see that Paul believes the Shema and includes the Father and Jesus in the concept of God?

https://biblehub.com/psb/1_corinthians/8.htm

https://biblehub.com/greek/2962.htm
Last edited by Wootah on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: 1 Corinthians 8 - shema Jesnus

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote:

So you feel that Paul in verse 6, after mentioning the shema, fails to only talk about God?

He couldn't even write one sentence on God after mentioning the Shema without mentioning not God?

I cannot answer these questions because they seem to be utter gibberish. I stated what I feel as clearly as I know how. Feel free to rephrase your question (preferably omitting double negatives ).
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 10 by Wootah]

The natural reading is the one that takes the verse as is. If someone says

"I have one English teacher, Mr Grey and one French Teacher, Mme DuPont.
....the natural reading is not to conclude they have just called Mme Dupont their ENGLISH Teacher.

This "contorted", distorted, unatural and quite frankly perverted* interpretation is what you are doing with Paul's very clear statement.

* NOTE I am not calling you a pervert, I am saying the interpretation is "perverted" ie. it fails to conform to the meaning and grammatical indications of the words in the text

1 Corinthians 8 (ESV)

....there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ...

....there is one PRESIDENT, Donald Trump, who leads the nation, and one Vice President, Joe Biden...
Are you going to conclude the "natural reading" is that the above has just called Joe Biden the President?

RELATED POSTS

Are the title "god" and "lord" exclusive?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 737#917737

Does 1 Corinthians 8:6 support the trinity?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 879#978879

Go to other posts related to ...

GOD, JESUS and ...THE TRINITY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Wootah
Savant

Post #13

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

Not so fast your examples are incorrect.

If I said now I am going to talk about the President and then I mentioned the Vice President I would be using unnatural language. In your example if you announced and now I am going to talk about the President and then wrote, "There is one PRESIDENT, Donald Trump, who leads the nation, and one Vice President, Joe Biden."

The only option to clear up that confusion would be something like this, "There is one PRESIDENT, Donald Trump, who leads the nation, and a person who is not the President but called the Vice President, Joe Biden."

The above would be extremely confusing. It's only not confusing because we know the topic of Presidents.

Try this one: "We are talking about trees. Coniferous trees like the Pine and deciduous trees like the Oak."

Now are we talking about Trees or two different things?
What is the natural reading of the text?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Wootah]

Wootah, why do you want to twist Paul's words so desperately?

1 Cor. 8:4 Now concerning the eating of food offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world and that there is no God but one. 5 For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods� and many “lords,� 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him.

Wootah
Savant

Post #15

Post by Wootah »

Eloi wrote: [Replying to Wootah]

Wootah, why do you want to twist Paul's words so desperately?

1 Cor. 8:4 Now concerning the eating of food offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world and that there is no God but one. 5 For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods� and many “lords,� 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him.
I made a thread you might be interested in on Echad
viewtopic.php?t=36157

Elijah John
Savant

Post #16

Post by Elijah John »

Eloi wrote: [Replying to Wootah]

Though Paul had an extremely high Christology (verse 6 "..Jesus Christ through whom all things are and we through him") he was no Trinitarian. In verse 6 Paul also identifies only the Father as God. A true Trinitarian would have said something like " there is actually to us one God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit". But he didn't.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: 1 Corinthians 8 - Shema Jesus

Post #17

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: 1 Corinthians 8 English Standard Version (ESV)
Food Offered to Idols
1 Now concerning[a] food offered to idols: we know that “all of us possess knowledge.� This “knowledge� puffs up, but love builds up. 2 If anyone imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know. 3 But if anyone loves God, he is known by God.

4 Therefore, as to the eating of food offered to idols, we know that “an idol has no real existence,� and that “there is no God but one.� 5 For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth—as indeed there are many “gods� and many “lords�— 6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.

Here Paul references the Shema in verse 4. Paul knows, "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one".

Then Paul says this about God in verse 6:

God is the Father for whom we exist and the Lord Jesus Christ through whom we exist.

Anyone not clearly able to see that Paul believes the Shema and includes the Father and Jesus in the concept of God?

https://biblehub.com/psb/1_corinthians/8.htm

https://biblehub.com/greek/2962.htm

Absolutely not. (Bible Hub should fold its tent and go home.)
Paul clearly differentiates between God and Jesus.

"Even though there are so-called gods...just as there are many 'gods' and many 'lords,' there is actually to us one God, THE FATHER, from whom all things are...and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are." (I Cor.8:5,6)

One God => THE FATHER. Period.

The Father is the Source of all things, and Jesus is the one through whom God created. They obviously conferred together when the creation occurred.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #18

Post by brianbbs67 »

My opinion on the quoted verse is Paul is talking to them about the eating of meat offered to idols. Back then it could inadvertently happen as these meats went quickly to sale after the idol worship occurred. It appears paul is reassuring the people that if they in advertantly ate meat sacrificed to idols, it is of no matter. See Acts for the Jerusalem council decision.