Are Theists hesitant to open topics in C&A

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Are Theists hesitant to open topics in C&A

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Scanning the list of current and recent past threads in C&A, few are started by Theists.

Site statistics indicate that over all and over a period of fifteen years only about one-third of new topics are posted by Theists (including all sub-forums).

Step up Theists. Don’t just play defense. Are there some topics that you feel confident and capable debating with Non-Theists when you can’t use the Bible as proof of truth?

Why be reticent?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Wootah
Savant

Re: Are Theists hesitant to open topics in C&A

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Zzyzx]

Mostly it's to avoid the trolls. Step up atheists and defeat theists on their home ground for true victory!

Why be reticent?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote: Mostly it's to avoid the trolls.
Yup, those nasty 'trolls' -- the Non-Theists who shoot holes in Theist claims and stories; those who demand verifiable evidence to support claims and stories. Evidently that confounds and upsets those who have nothing to offer but more unverifiable tales, testimonials, conjectures, and opinions.
Wootah wrote: Step up atheists and defeat theists on their home ground for true victory!
Where would that 'home ground' be? Holy Huddle? TD&D?

Do Theists need a handicap (having the Bible is considered authoritative)?

Can't handle debate on a level playing field, without your (generic term) position being given favorable treatment?
Wootah wrote: Why be reticent?
Step out from behind the need for 'Bible as authoritative' and ask again.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to Zzyzx]

Mostly it's to avoid the trolls. Step up atheists and defeat theists on their home ground for true victory!

Why be reticent?
Many non theists do use 'their home ground' i.e. the Bible, to shoot down various things. See the thread "Lack of knowledge of the Bible" for one example:

viewtopic.php?t=36079

In fact, other than demanding verifiable evidence of claims, using Christian's own scripture is often just as effective at showing issues with their theology. Christians themselves of various sects believe/ignore different parts of their own scripture. This is evidenced right here on this site and of course in the various denominations that have sprung up.

It's actually one of the nice things about being on the non theist side of the fence. We can use the simple "back up your claims with verifiable evidence" or "Why don't you follow this bit of your scripture" or "Why does your scripture contradict itself" or for the most fun "Which Christian sect's 'scripture' is complete and correct and why?".

Many, many options to play on their home ground assuming one can actually find the home ground to play on.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Mostly it's to avoid the trolls.

I used to be active in the now defunct Amazon forums. Trolls were truly rampant there. Due to the effective moderation on this forum, trolls don't last long. I can't think of any active posters here who I'd consider a troll.

Trolls are not posters who point out the fallacies of the arguments other posters present.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

Tcg wrote:
Wootah wrote: Mostly it's to avoid the trolls.
Trolls are not posters who point out the fallacies of the arguments other posters present.
Those who fare poorly in debate often complain (or falsely accuse others of 'trolling') when opponents point out flaws / defects in their arguments.

Rather than blaming others, it would be prudent to examine one's own weak / failed position with an aim to eliminate (not cover up) its flaws, OR find a new position that has fewer defects.

I, for one, would not attempt to defend a position that lacked verifiable supporting evidence. Even if I thought long-dead bodies came back to life (which I do not), I would not make that claim in debate if my only evidence consisted of unverifiable tales of an empty tomb and unverifiable tales of people claiming to see the deceased alive. I would realize that convoluted philosophical musings would not be adequate defense. AND I am not inclined toward shuck-and-jive.
Non-Theist

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #7

Post by Bust Nak »

Zzyzx wrote: Step up Theists. Don’t just play defense.
They can't, there is nothing to attack. Atheism is an empty position without anything solid to attack.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Zzyzx »

Bust Nak wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
Step up Theists. Don’t just play defense.
They can't, there is nothing to attack. Atheism is an empty position without anything solid to attack.
Thank you. There is nothing to attack in the position ‘I don’t believe your god tales’

That must be frustrating for those who publicly announce their supernatural beliefs and those who feel obligated to proselytize.

Since there is no verifiable evidence to present to those who challenge claims of knowledge and fanciful tales about ‘gods’, what is left is, “Take my word for it (or his or this book)� -- which is not convincing to those inclined to place their trust in what can be shown to be true and accurate.

Those who believe on faith or fear may continue to repeat the ancient tales, but increasing numbers are refusing to join the parade.

I do, however, appreciate Apologist attempts to defend ancient tales and supernatural beliefs. Pontificating and pretending knowledge which may be convincing in church or in Holy Huddle among those indoctrinated to believe, does not fare well in debate on a level playing field – and becomes the best of commercials for non-belief.
Non-Theist

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote:

Mostly it's to avoid the trolls.

I used to be active in the now defunct Amazon forums. Trolls were truly rampant there. Due to the effective moderation on this forum, trolls don't last long. I can't think of any active posters here who I'd consider a troll.

Tcg
I agree. What I should have said is that mostly it is to avoid derailment. At the moment I feel really called upon to show Jesus is God to the JWs on this forum.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Zzyzx »

Strange coincidence on adjacent posts?
Zzyzx wrote: That must be frustrating for those who publicly announce their supernatural beliefs and those who feel obligated to proselytize.
Wootah wrote: At the moment I feel really called upon to show Jesus is God to the JWs on this forum.
Non-Theist