Jesus and Satan

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Jesus and Satan

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Regarding the episode of Jesus temptation in the wilderness, he is said to have been alone at the time, no other people with him.

So how does the Gospel Evangelist know what went on there? The dialogue between Jesus and Satan.

Did Jesus recount the event to his apostles, verbatim? Does that sound like something Jesus would do? To tell of his temptations?

Or is it more likely the Gospel Evangelist was taking a bit of literary license. And from a literary standpoint, what was the Evangelist trying to tell us about Jesus and/or his mission?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #21

Post by Difflugia »

Elijah John wrote:When that passage from 1 Timothy was written, the only inspired Scripture was the Tanakh. The "Old" Testament. Doubtful Paul was referring to the Synoptics as inspired. Even if they existed at the time, they were not part of any inspired or authoritative canon in Paul's day and age.
Actually, 1 Timothy was written in the late first or early second century, after Paul was dead. By that time, only a few New Testament books hadn't been written, so it probably refers to everything except 2 Timothy, Titus, the Petrine Epistles and possibly John's Gospel.

The early Christian Church also regarded a number of books as inspired that we now consider apocryphal, too, so it's likely that the author of 1 Timothy intended to include at least some of those. I hope he was including 4 Ezra, because I think it would be neat if Ezra really did rewrite the whole Bible from scratch after it burned up during the Exile.

* Willum and SallyF, you may want to read 2 Esdras 14 (it currently exists in Slavonic translation and is in the NRSV with Apocrypha, but not the Catholic version). A number of first century Jewish groups and Christians believed that Ezra, the guy that the Bible says returned from Babylon with the only copy of the Torah, actually wrote the whole thing himself after the "original" was "burned up". That seems like it might have a place in your respective ideas about the rise of early Christianity.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by PinSeeker »

Elijah John wrote: Doubtful Paul was referring to the Synoptics as inspired.
I agree. But God, who is the ultimate Author of all scripture, obviously had/has a purview greater than Paul's. :)

marco
Savant

Post #23

Post by marco »

PinSeeker wrote:
Elijah John wrote: Doubtful Paul was referring to the Synoptics as inspired.
I agree. But God, who is the ultimate Author of all scripture, obviously had/has a purview greater than Paul's. :)

But of course it is Paul's view that you quote, not God's. Or do you suppose they are synonymous?

The tale of the temptations works well as an examination of Christ's psychology. He does not surrender to carnal temptations and so is of the right moral fibre to preach his message. The wilderness is merely a metaphor.

To give credence to a dialogue between a supernatural being, Satan, and a Jewish man on some desolate corner of the globe requires the kind of faith that moves Everest. Pliny the Elder wrote an interesting book on fabulous creatures. He's just a little older than the evangelists ; why discard his tales and believe them. Of course, God didn't speak to Pliny - Jupiter did. That makes all the difference.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by PinSeeker »

marco wrote: But of course it is Paul's view that you quote, not God's. Or do you suppose they are synonymous?
Well, I know... :) ... as should you, that ultimately, God expressed His truth through the words of Paul (and all the other writers of the various parts of the Bible).
marco wrote: To give credence to a dialogue between a supernatural being, Satan, and a Jewish man on some desolate corner of the globe requires the kind of faith that moves Everest.
Nah, just that of a mustard seed. But even that can't be manufactured by any man in himself; rather it is the gift of God, so that no man may boast.

Avoice
Guru

THIS TEMPTATION STORY TELLS US SOMETHING SBOUT JESUS

Post #25

Post by Avoice »

Tempted in the wilderness. Hmmm

What does this story tell us about Jesus?

What is temptation? Temptation is something different for each of us.

Temptation is when man is tempted by things that they desire in their heart. So what was jesus saud to be tempted with? A herd of camels? NO Money? No. What was it that was tempting to him? EVERYTHING HIS EYES COULD SEE was offered to him. That tells us teo things. One: he is not God. Because God owns everything in the world. . So how can the devil offer him something that already belongs to him. . It also tells us what Jesus really desired. He wanted everything his eyes could see. If not then he was not tempted.

It says Jesus fasted 40 days. But it says something interesting. It says afterward he hungered. If you think the fasting is talking about food and water think again. We know that man can't live long without water. No. I say it means that he fasted against temptation. Sure he may have held out for 40 days BUT afterward he hungered. If the story is true....he may have withstood 40 days but afterward.....hmmmm

Also, one gospel says Jesus was at a wedding in Cana a few days after his baptism. How could that be? Another gospel says he was swept away immefieteky after his baptism to the wilderness to be tempted. Someone is lying. Or they both are.