What convincing proof did Jesus offer?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

What convincing proof did Jesus offer?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Many believe Jesus was sent by God to do a piece of work. Obviously he would be expected to show his calling card to let people know he was the genuine article. Since he was heaven-sent, this would be easy, and there would be no ifs or buts, no doubt about authenticity, even to this day, because heaven would have provided astonishing proof. Here is what passes for proof:

(i) We have a private wedding and the wine is finished. Jesus somehow supplies more.

(ii) Bartimaeus is a beggar who claims to be blind and asks to be cured. Jesus lets him see.

(iii) It is said Jesus went to "raise up" a young man. Some believe "raising up" means literally bringing him back to life. Others think the phrase is figurative.

(iv) Some of Christ's friends report they have seen Jesus chatting to the long-dead prophets Moses and Elijah. They forget to say how they recognised these personalities.

Would all this be sufficient to show heaven was involved in Christ's ministry. Might it even indicate Christ's divinity?

Savant

Re: What convincing proof did Jesus offer?

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: ...Would all this be sufficient to show heaven was involved in Christ's ministry. Might it even indicate Christ's divinity?
For me his teachings are what convinces me, not the material miracles. And the words convince to me that he is son of God, as he teaches, not the one and only true God that is according to Jesus greater than him.

marco
Savant

Post #12

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:
marco wrote: ...Would all this be sufficient to show heaven was involved in Christ's ministry. Might it even indicate Christ's divinity?
For me his teachings are what convinces me, not the material miracles. And the words convince to me that he is son of God, as he teaches, not the one and only true God that is according to Jesus greater than him.
Interesting, 1213. I have attended some surprising lectures but it has never occurred to me to attribute divinity to the speaker. I wonder which speech from Jesus actually sets him apart as obviously divine. The Roman orator Cicero made some fine speeaches that might rival those of Jesus. But Shakespeare, for me, excels Jesus: I think Mark Antony's "Friends, Romans, Countrymen " really good, and so too is Macbeth's "Tomorrow, and tomorrow ". Of course some think Shakespeare divine.

Take away the miracles and Jesus is just another good speaker - and not the best.

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

marco wrote:
Take away the miracles and Jesus is just another good speaker - and not the best.

He had his moments. If one was inclined to accept the idea of an afterlife, the sermon on the mount would have been quite moving to hear in person.

His range of topics was very limited, however. An apocalyptic preacher wouldn't have much variety to choose from. It doesn't take long for the message to get very repetitive.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote: Many believe Jesus was sent by God to do a piece of work. Obviously he would be expected to show his calling card to let people know he was the genuine article. Since he was heaven-sent, this would be easy, and there would be no ifs or buts, no doubt about authenticity, even to this day, because heaven would have provided astonishing proof. Here is what passes for proof:

(i) We have a private wedding and the wine is finished. Jesus somehow supplies more.

(ii) Bartimaeus is a beggar who claims to be blind and asks to be cured. Jesus lets him see.

(iii) It is said Jesus went to "raise up" a young man. Some believe "raising up" means literally bringing him back to life. Others think the phrase is figurative.

(iv) Some of Christ's friends report they have seen Jesus chatting to the long-dead prophets Moses and Elijah. They forget to say how they recognised these personalities.

Would all this be sufficient to show heaven was involved in Christ's ministry. Might it even indicate Christ's divinity?
Emphasis MINE.

The OP seems to be presenting biblical accounts of reported miracles as the basis for argumentation without proving (or inviting questions) as to their veracity. Will the responses be permitted the same liberty ? Or will any responses have to prove the existence of God and that miracles are possible, before analysing how convincing reported miracles would have logically been had they indeed happened as reported?

marco wrote:
Since the bible attributes many other miracles to Jesus, may they be referred to or do all responses need to be restricted to the selection?
It's hard to tell, due to your comment that some think the reported "raising" of a young man (presumably the widow of nains son) was figurative, whether your question is whether Jesus did enough to convince a modern day reader or if his miracles were enough to reasonably convince eye-witnesses of the events.

Clarification Appreciated.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8