Dates for the Second Coming

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Dates for the Second Coming

Post #1

Post by polonius »

How many different dates for the second coming have the Jehovah Witnesses claimed?
Is there any evidence that any were correct?

"In 1876, Russell became interested in time prophecy, after reading a copy of Barbour's publication Herald of the Morning. The end had not come in 1874, as the Adventists had predicted. However, Barbour explained that Matthew 24:27 meant Jesus' invisible presence commenced in 1874, the rapture would be 1878, and the end of the world was to occur in 1914. (See Watch Tower, 1906 July 15 for a detailed account.) "

See https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1800s.php

And there is this:

"And in case you should say in your heart: "How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?" When the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak..." Deuteronomy 18:20-22

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #11

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Could you state your point more clearly?
The faithful and discreet slave is bad at predicting the future.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Difflugia wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:Could you state your point more clearly?
The faithful and discreet slave is bad at predicting the future.
I don't care. If you if you do may I suggest you don't request to be reinstated.

Have a nice life,

Goodbye,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote:If you do may I suggest you don't request to be reinstated.
I’ve never been a Witness, so I couldn’t be “re�-anything.

I was a Wesleyan once, though.

brunumb
Savant

Re: Dates for the Second Coming

Post #14

Post by brunumb »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius]

"Setting "Dates for the Second Coming" will never succeed.

Jesus tells us why.
Matthew 24:

44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

Acts 1:

6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?�

7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.
Jesus doesn't really answer the more pertinent question which is why we can't be told the exact time. To me there is an obvious reason for being rather obtuse on the matter. If Jesus/God gave us a specific time then we would expect the event to occur with certainty. On the other hand, if people are just putting words into the mouth of Jesus/God then they have no idea of when the event should occur. If they were specific and the event failed to occur they would be recognised as frauds. Hence, the vagueness. Meanwhile the gullible suck it up and wait patiently for an event that will never occur.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Checkpoint »

brunumb wrote:
Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 1 by polonius]

"Setting "Dates for the Second Coming" will never succeed.

Jesus tells us why.
Matthew 24:

44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

Acts 1:

6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?�

7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.
Jesus doesn't really answer the more pertinent question which is why we can't be told the exact time. To me there is an obvious reason for being rather obtuse on the matter. If Jesus/God gave us a specific time then we would expect the event to occur with certainty. On the other hand, if people are just putting words into the mouth of Jesus/God then they have no idea of when the event should occur. If they were specific and the event failed to occur they would be recognised as frauds. Hence, the vagueness. Meanwhile the gullible suck it up and wait patiently for an event that will never occur.
How do you know it is "an event that will never occur"?

marco
Savant

Post #16

Post by marco »

Checkpoint wrote:

How do you know it is "an event that will never occur"?
We get into the habit of declaring that we "know" the sun will rise tomorrow; that we will one day perish; that the Earth has a shelf-life. In science we are sometimes surprised by absurdities that we eventually accept.

Then there is astrology where lion lies down with ram. And then we have religious superstition. Jesus woke up in the middle of WW1, maybe somewhere in France, and barely escaped with his second or third life, creeping away invisibly to do what? To work on his diagrams before taking flesh again. How do we know this is nonsense? In our gloriously mad world, we don't. But we come as close to knowing as makes no difference.

People sing: "I know that my redeemer lives." I wonder how they "know" this.