Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Tower of Babel

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Tower of Babel

Genesis 11:
1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Question for debate: Is this a true story of an actual event that occurred in the real world?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Re: Tower of Babel

Post #61

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
By what I see, languages seem to be “evolving� to one global language (English).

Not surprisingly, Mandarin Chinese is the most spoken language in the world with 1.1 billion speakers.

English is second with 983 million speakers.

What gives you the impression that English will become the one global language?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #62

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote: …https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
…“Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.�….
Where in the above is any mention to prevent freedom?
….
There it is, the goal was to prevent people to go freely further from the tower.

Savant

Post #63

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: ...What gives you the impression that English will become the one global language?
China is used mainly in China. English is used almost in every country.

Tcg
Savant

Post #64

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
Tcg wrote: ...What gives you the impression that English will become the one global language?
China is used mainly in China. English is used almost in every country.
Are you suggesting that 1.1 billion Mandarin Chinese speakers will convert to speaking English? If not, how else could English become the global language?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #65

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Are you suggesting that 1.1 billion Mandarin Chinese speakers will convert to speaking English? If not, how else could English become the global language?
I think English is already global language, because by what I know, one can do business with it in every country. It doesn’t mean that local languages can’t exist at the same time.

Tcg
Savant

Post #66

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
Tcg wrote: Are you suggesting that 1.1 billion Mandarin Chinese speakers will convert to speaking English? If not, how else could English become the global language?
I think English is already global language, because by what I know, one can do business with it in every country. It doesn’t mean that local languages can’t exist at the same time.
That's a totally different then your earlier claim:
1213 wrote:
By what I see, languages seem to be “evolving� to one global language (English).
How could your new explanation be considered as languages evolving into one global language?

Your new description is simply that of English being used as a common trade language.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom