Is naturalism true?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Is naturalism true?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Underlying many of the attacks on the Bible and Christianity is the belief that materialism is true. If materialism is true, then miracles, Christ rising from the dead, virgin birth, existence of supernatural entities, people receiving revelations, the Bible being the inspired word of God, people going to heaven or hell, etc would all be false.

A definition of naturalism:
According to Steven Schafersman, naturalism is a philosophy that maintains that;
1. Nature encompasses all that exists throughout space and time;
2. Nature (the universe or cosmos) consists only of natural elements, that is, of spatio-temporal physical substance—mass–energy. Non-physical or quasi-physical substance, such as information, ideas, values, logic, mathematics, intellect, and other emergent phenomena, either supervene upon the physical or can be reduced to a physical account;
3. Nature operates by the laws of physics and in principle, can be explained and understood by science and philosophy;
4. The supernatural does not exist, i.e., only nature is real. Naturalism is therefore a metaphysical philosophy opposed primarily by supernaturalism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalism_(philosophy)

For debate:
Is naturalism true?
Why?

otseng
Savant

Re: Is naturalism true?

Post #71

Post by otseng »

SallyF wrote: Possibly better to put the spotlight back onto the possibly fictional god-man Jesus …

You know, given that this is a site devoted to debating Christianity and (other) religions …

And we have agreed that the various flavours of "Naturalism" are NOT religions.
Instead of trying to divert the topic, it's best to stick to the OP.

Nobody is saying naturalism is a religion. But, as pointed out by several in this thread, anyone who subscribes to metaphysical naturalism can only believe in it by faith. Especially considering I have not yet seen any arguments or evidence presented by anyone to defend it.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #72

Post by Diagoras »

otseng,

I've gone back and re-read the thread, since it seems to me as though I only partially understood the point you have been making (and which JehovahsWitness has also made), i.e. that metaphysical naturalism is a faith-based philosophy.

Where I think I've had difficulty is in how the philosophy of metaphysical naturalism is 'constructed' (for want of a better term).

If a suitable definition of naturalism just contains "all properties of the universe are reducible to, or supervene upon, nature", then that's basically 'methodological'. It's only when the strict "there is no god" aspect is added that it seems to become 'metaphysical' naturalism.

I'm also still not entirely sure whether the "no god" aspect is a premise or a conclusion in this philosophy - or something else entirely. We could state, for example:

A)

Premise: all properties are reducible to nature
Conclusion: therefore, there is no god.

B)

Premise: there is no god
Conclusion: therefore, all properties are reducible to nature

From a logical standpoint, there are obvious problems with either, and that's likely why there probably are no metaphysical naturalists, just pragmatic methodological ones.

(Incidentally, I say 'probably' because I cannot prove with 100% certainty that they don't exist...)

However, when I leapt in, I hadn't really grasped the importance of the "no god" aspect, so was effectively ignoring it (acting like a good methodological naturalist, one might say...!) and this probably led me in circles for a bit. However, I feel I've reached a better understanding of naturalism now, so a worthwhile exercise, thank you.

On a separate note, just one small niggle with a recent post:
"There are also other areas where science needs to reach into the metaphysical"
I worry that you are not differentiating between "aspects of nature for which we have theories but no evidence" with "aspects of nature for which we have no means of studying".

Tcg
Savant

Post #73

Post by Tcg »

otseng wrote:
SallyF wrote: Possibly better to put the spotlight back onto the possibly fictional god-man Jesus …

You know, given that this is a site devoted to debating Christianity and (other) religions …

Nobody is saying naturalism is a religion.
Perhaps you overlooked this claim:
EarthScienceguy wrote:
Naturalism is just another religion just like all the rest of the religions in the world.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

SallyF
Guru

Post #74

Post by SallyF »

otseng wrote:

Nobody is saying naturalism is a religion. But, as pointed out by several in this thread, anyone who subscribes to metaphysical naturalism can only believe in it by faith. Especially considering I have not yet seen any arguments or evidence presented by anyone to defend it.

Please see Tcg's post above.

I am NEVER off topic.

That seems to be a very Christian thing to do.

I won't be subscribing to or defending a metaphysical anything …

Especially if "faith" and "belief are involved.

That's a Christian thing too.

And as no one seems to have a clear idea of just what "naturalism" means, it's unlikely that this forum will be able to determine whether it's true or not.

Which is a bit like "God" for Christians really.

Engaging topic this, however.

And another however …

Belief and faith are very Christians things ...

And I suspect it would be difficult to equate biblical magic foreskins and visiting angels and such with the definition in the image above.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

otseng
Savant

Post #75

Post by otseng »

Diagoras wrote: It's only when the strict "there is no god" aspect is added that it seems to become 'metaphysical' naturalism.
The definition I provided in the OP for naturalism does not even mention god. Though the definition would of course preclude god, it is not the only thing it would reject. I would say it would include anything that is not empirically detectable - spirits, ghosts, angels, demons, and even other dimensions.

But, perhaps this is the crux of the matter. Metaphysical naturalists reject the existence of god. If god does not exist, the supernatural does not exist. Therefore only nature exists.

However, when I leapt in, I hadn't really grasped the importance of the "no god" aspect, so was effectively ignoring it (acting like a good methodological naturalist, one might say...!) and this probably led me in circles for a bit. However, I feel I've reached a better understanding of naturalism now, so a worthwhile exercise, thank you.
It's an intellectual exercise for me as well, so we are both profiting from the discussion.
"There are also other areas where science needs to reach into the metaphysical"
I worry that you are not differentiating between "aspects of nature for which we have theories but no evidence" with "aspects of nature for which we have no means of studying".
The main point I'm making is there is no empirical evidence that is even theoretically possible to confirm some areas of science. For string theory, how would it be possible to empirically detect other dimensions? For fine-tuning, other universes outside of ours are posited. How would it even be possible to detect another universe? This is what I mean by reaching into the metaphysical.

otseng
Savant

Post #76

Post by otseng »

Tcg wrote: Perhaps you overlooked this claim:
EarthScienceguy wrote:
Naturalism is just another religion just like all the rest of the religions in the world.
You're right, I didn't see that.

I would disagree with this claim and say naturalism is NOT a religion. It is no more a religion than saying supernaturalism is a religion. However, I would not be opposed to calling naturalism a worldview.

otseng
Savant

Post #77

Post by otseng »

SallyF wrote: And as no one seems to have a clear idea of just what "naturalism" means, it's unlikely that this forum will be able to determine whether it's true or not.

Yes, that's true. The best we can do is offer agreed upon definitions to debate on, rather than debating things don't exist because there's no official definition for a term.
Yes, Christians have belief and they have faith. I don't see any problems with that.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #78

Post by Zzyzx »

otseng wrote: The main point I'm making is there is no empirical evidence that is even theoretically possible to confirm some areas of science. For string theory, how would it be possible to empirically detect other dimensions? For fine-tuning, other universes outside of ours are posited. How would it even be possible to detect another universe? This is what I mean by reaching into the metaphysical.
Yup, string theory etc may be pie in the sky. However, ‘science’ is not dependent upon string theory or other dimensions being true. Neither of those are fundamental to the vast, vast bulk of scientific work.

As new information becomes available, scientific thinking incorporates the new to modify or abandon previous ideas and move on.

Religion is dependent upon its fundamental claims and stories being true. If the resurrection did not happen, Christianity is a fraud – or ‘in vain’ as its founder, Paul/Saul, supposedly wrote.

Presently, mainline religion seems to be abandoning many of its long-held assertions – acknowledging that many Bible tales are parables, myths, folklore, or moralistic tales. Creation story, garden of Eden, the flood, the exodus, talking donkeys, etc are less often defended as literally true and accurate accounts (at least in debate where opposition voices are not precluded).

However, most still maintain that God made everything and Jesus came back to life -- based on ancient tales.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Post #79

Post by Tcg »

otseng wrote:
Tcg wrote: Perhaps you overlooked this claim:
EarthScienceguy wrote:
You're right, I didn't see that.

I would disagree with this claim and say naturalism is NOT a religion. It is no more a religion than saying supernaturalism is a religion. However, I would not be opposed to calling naturalism a worldview.

I disagree too. Even if it is true that naturalism requires faith, that alone would not justify classifying it a religion.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

SallyF
Guru

Post #80

Post by SallyF »

otseng wrote:
SallyF wrote: And as no one seems to have a clear idea of just what "naturalism" means, it's unlikely that this forum will be able to determine whether it's true or not.

Yes, that's true. The best we can do is offer agreed upon definitions to debate on, rather than debating things don't exist because there's no official definition for a term.
Yes, Christians have belief and they have faith. I don't see any problems with that.
I debate that things like gods are UNLIKELY to exist because of a total absence of evidence for them from people who declare that they DO exist.

I NEVER debate that gods don't exist …

No matter the absence of evidence AND official definitions of what folks mean when they argue for their particular god/s.

I ALWAYS have problems with belief and faith.

It's how certain folks come to accept the notion that their Divine Leader created the universe and died for their sins, for example …

And will not consider that it may just be fantasy based on biased biographical propaganda and nothing else.

That's what belief and faith can do …

In my experience.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.