Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Surrogacy

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

It's been getting some very bad press in Australia lately with pedophiles taking advantage of it and other families simply rejecting a child who had Down syndrome.

Is surrogacy the type of transaction we want between humans where a rich human pays a poor human for their body?

I have to say I'm against it.

What's your view on surrogacy? Right or wrong?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Osonlife
Student

Re: Surrogacy

Post #11

Post by Osonlife »

[Replying to post 10 by Hamsaka]
Quite a deep subject and takes a lot of thought.I believe in a prime material objective which is that of the protection and continuation of the species.
On that basis surrogacy seems ok
However one of my greatest interests is the importance between a mother and her child, a unique bond without which the child may have a problematic adulthood.
My current thoughts are that if a surrogate is raised by the same person until adulthood and is there for them when needed then surrogacy may be ok. It's the child that matters most.
I would certainly say it is better than having a child together then dumping the child with a surrogate during the day whilst both parents become 'providers'.

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Hamsaka »

Osonlife wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Hamsaka]
Quite a deep subject and takes a lot of thought.I believe in a prime material objective which is that of the protection and continuation of the species.
On that basis surrogacy seems ok
However one of my greatest interests is the importance between a mother and her child, a unique bond without which the child may have a problematic adulthood.
My current thoughts are that if a surrogate is raised by the same person until adulthood and is there for them when needed then surrogacy may be ok. It's the child that matters most.
I would certainly say it is better than having a child together then dumping the child with a surrogate during the day whilst both parents become 'providers'.
There is definitely a unique bond that grows between the developing baby and the woman carrying that baby -- and it is there whether or not the baby and woman are genetically related.

In that docu I mentioned, the Indian women gave birth to Japanese babies, Caucasian babies, other couple's biological children. But due to the unique (and amazing and beautiful IMO) orchestra of hormones and the plain and simple experience of carrying a child in your body -- these completely unrelated Indian surrogates grieved the 'loss' even though they knew these babies weren't hers, she was just renting out her womb for reimbursement.

The Indian surrogates were bonded with the babies they birthed, and obviously, the infants, having lived within the surrogate for all that time, were in their own way bonded with the surrogate as 'mother', and I don't know how much more primal a human relationship gets than that between a child and the mother who birthed the child.

There is primal loss in this process, but in the great scheme of things, it ought to be recognized but not used to prevent surrogacy.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Yahu »

JoeyKnothead wrote:
Yahu wrote: Well I am a surrogate father. A couple that were close friends couldn't have a child due to sterility of the husband. I was the surrogate father for their 1st child.
I can't believe he let ya do it. I'da been furious.

:tomato:
Well he asked me to get his wife pregnant. He raised four kids with his wife. One was mine and three others sired by his younger brother. They wanted me for all the children but I moved back home to Atlanta while they lived in California so it wasnt feasable. Btw, it was also done with my wifes permission, their parents and pastor.

Maryme

Post #14

Post by Maryme »

God helps infertile couples through surrogacy. I think it's a really progressive method. Many barren couples just don't have any other options! You just have to remember that it is incredibly important to pay attention to all the main points. For example, one of my closest friends is sterile. And she and her husband found a surrogate mother in a clinic where they were dealing with infertility. This is a Ukrainian clinic (Feskov Human Reproduction Group), where all mothers are healthy and undergo examination, the agreement is supported by a contract, so there is a certain guarantee that everything will be in order. Moreover, they dreamed about their son and they had the opportunity to choose the sex of the child before the embryo transfer! Only biological parents are mentioned in the birth certificate, and they received their travel documents very quickly. And now they have returned home as parents.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by JJ50 »

I am not sure what I think about surrogacy. As has been pointed out there are many children requiring homes. In addition to our three birth daughters we adopted two boys with special educational needs, the younger one has Down's Syndrome.

Menotu
Sage

Post #16

Post by Menotu »

Wootah wrote: Hi all,

It's been getting some very bad press in Australia lately with pedophiles taking advantage of it and other families simply rejecting a child who had Down syndrome.

Is surrogacy the type of transaction we want between humans where a rich human pays a poor human for their body?

I have to say I'm against it.

What's your view on surrogacy? Right or wrong?
With so many kids already waiting for a loving family, I think it's selfish to want to continue your bloodline when you, for biological reasons, have problems conceiving. If you want kids and can't have them without difficulty, why continue to waste time, money and energy when you can use that time, money and energy to find someone that's already here and needing a family?
Because you're selfish

PeterPan
Student

Post #17

Post by PeterPan »

I think that surrogacy needs to be strictly licensed.
For some women surrogacy may be a route out of poverty but it is important to ensure that women are not trafficked for use as surrogates, and to have legislation dealing with cases where a child is disabled or the couple change their mind about wanting a child.