Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Topaz27
Student

Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #1

Post by Topaz27 »

I know a bunch of Christians, and so many of them believe that Noah's Ark is a myth. Basically just a story to teach morals and lessons. I personally see a lot of things wrong with the story of the flood. So I was wondering, if anyone believes the story of Noah's Ark, and the world flood, to be the truth?

Tcg
Savant

Post #181

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
At least some of the adult animals would probably have reproduced on the ark. Doves* (which were likely considered clean animals so Noah would have initially had six pairs) have quite short incubation periods and are able to raise up a maximum of six broods annually. So one not returning would have posed no threat to the survival of the species.
There would have been seven pairs, not six. I'm not aware of any designation of "clean" or "unclean" being applied to birds. That issue is irrelevant however, because God said to take seven pairs of all birds.
  • Genesis 7:2 Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth.
Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #182

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote:
Adequate food for a big voyage, stored God knows where.

I think it's safe to say they would have stored food for the duration of their stay on the ark with them, although there was of course the possibility of obtaining fish from the waters. There would have been more than enough storage room given the arks proportions.

JW

RELATED POSTS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 067#984067
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #183

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
There would have been more than enough storage room given the arks proportions.

Given that neither you, nor anyone else, can provide an accurate count of the number of animals that would have been on the ark, this claim is unsupported.

To say we don't know how many animals would have been on the ark, but certainly there'd be enough room for all the food they'd need, quite simply doesn't add up.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #184

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
* The account speaks a dove (not a pair of ravens) ultimately not returning to the ark ( see Gen 8:10-12)
You've skipped verses 6 & 7:
  • Genesis 8:6 After forty days Noah opened a window he had made in the ark 7 and sent out a raven, and it kept flying back and forth until the water had dried up from the earth.
The first bird sent out was a raven. The dove was sent out later.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Re: Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #185

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 169 by JehovahsWitness]
Any dog or cattle breeder knows it doesn't take millions (or even thousands) of years through selective breeding to produce smaller, taller, darker/ lighter ect animals.The human race doesn't encompass different species, their various distinguising features are in fact a variants on a single theme due to their genetic makeup and scientists speculate these differences arose relatively recently.
Selective breeding involves just that, selecting particular traits to breed on and discarding those offspring that do not meet requirements. This is hardly what happened when Noah and his cohort began rapidly repopulating the earth. I wonder how the people occupying the Americas got there and thrived unknown to any of their middle eastern relatives for so long. What caused the characteristics of the Chinese population to develop in apparent isolation from the rest of the world. The same for all the other ethnic groups throughout the world. How did the different civilisations grow so quickly and manage to build their great monuments? All of these things must have happened in the course of about only two thousand years as they were mostly in evidence around the time of Jesus who allegedly appeared only a couple of millennia after the great flood. There are so may insurmountable problems associated with the biblical flood that a few superficial suggestions do little to alleviate them.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

marco
Savant

Post #186

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

I think it's safe to say they would have stored food for the duration of their stay on the ark with them, although there was of course the possibility of obtaining fish from the waters. There would have been more than enough storage room given the arks proportions.
I think the fact that you can state this with obvious sincerity marks a victory for faith as big as Hannibal's at Cannae. For me the story of Noah and his seamanship and engineering and God's meteorological interference with Earth's climate is the stuff of pantomime par excellence. Cromwell called Worcester his "crowning glory". We might call Noah's Ark God's clowning glory. Go well.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #187

Post by JehovahsWitness »

marco wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

I think the fact that you can state this with obvious sincerity marks a victory for faith as big as Hannibal's at Cannae.

Thank you, did you want to challenge me on anything or was there a question you wanted to ask me?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Donray
Guru

Post #188

Post by Donray »

Still waiting on the DNA question. The DNA proves that the Noah myth is just that a myth.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #189

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to post 188 by Donray]

In the time you wait, you can study when Noah lived and what is call a Jewish (and when they appear on earth) and by extension a "Jewish DNA" ... so you can post comments that make any sense.

Donray
Guru

Post #190

Post by Donray »

Eloi wrote: [Replying to post 188 by Donray]

In the time you wait, you can study when Noah lived and what is call a Jewish (and when they appear on earth) and by extension a "Jewish DNA" ... so you can post comments that make any sense.

Already know all of that. According to this thread the flood was 2700BC. What do I care when Jews appeared on earth? All I are is that after the flood there was only Noah and his relatives and that they are Jews.

It appears tat you do not understand what DNA is . For example All people descended from Europe back ground have some percent of Neanderthal DNA. Why is this the case if all DNA started with Noah and his family?

So, tell me why ALL the humans don't have Jewish DNA???????

DNA proves that the Nah story is a myth. You just don't want to belive in DNA results.

Please tell me what you not understand and I will try to put in simpler terms. Did you read the two stuff about DNA in the LINKs I posted????