The doubt of the world... What can you do anyways?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

The doubt of the world... What can you do anyways?

Post #1

Post by Tart »

I go to church, and sit there and think to myself how very dry it is... The preachers have really been driving me crazy... I was thinking today... You know what would be really interesting, if people doubted... I Imagined soemone standing up, and started arguing with the preacher... And then the church caught on fire... That would be kind of cool... who knows?

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Tcg
Savant

Re: The doubt of the world... What can you do anyways?

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by Tart]

This is just a hunch, but if you're thinking that a church fire would be cool, church may not be for you. If preachers are driving you crazy, the simple solution is to avoid their natural habitat.

Perhaps you could find a bowling league that rolls on Sunday morning. You're not likely to meet any preachers there at that time.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Tart]

This is just a hunch, but if you're thinking that a church fire would be cool, church may not be for you. If preachers are driving you crazy, the simple solution is to avoid their natural habitat.

Perhaps you could find a bowling league that rolls on Sunday morning. You're not likely to meet any preachers there at that time.

Tcg
bowling leagues are even worse... just people trying to make you laugh and like them... uhg... trying to get your attention for your approval...

i want the true conflict in our world... doubt vs faith... I want the people in church to really open up about their doubts, their true concerns, instead of just acting like everything is ok... but maybe what about faith? we want to live faithful... but how can you? its not like its good to just fake it... that's dumb...

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 4 by Tart]

It sounds like you're stuck with church then. Good luck finding one that'll change its regular routine to focus on your demands.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Tart]

It sounds like you're stuck with church then. Good luck finding one that'll change its regular routine to focus on your demands.

Tcg
thanks for the prayer... i need it... i know its sarcastic... but... im praying for it... Father your kingdom come

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:
Tcg wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Tart]

Tcg
thanks for the prayer... i need it... i know its sarcastic... but... im praying for it... Father your kingdom come
It is neither a prayer nor a recommendation to pray. To expect a church to change to meet one's demands is unrealistic.

When anyone is stuck in a bad situation, they can take action to create a better situation. Refusing to take action and instead praying, expecting a god to change the world to fit the one praying, is not likely to result in the hoped for change.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Diagoras
Guru

Post #8

Post by Diagoras »

Tart wrote:i want the true conflict in our world... doubt vs faith... I want the people in church to really open up about their doubts, their true concerns, instead of just acting like everything is ok... but maybe what about faith? we want to live faithful... but how can you? its not like its good to just fake it... that's dumb...
Human existence is scary and confusing...

That’s how this video starts, but it addresses what I believe you might be experiencing. I really hope it helps you, or at least offers some perspective.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #9

Post by OnceConvinced »

The occassional time i've gone to church over the last 5 years or so I sit there listening to the sermon and can't help but pick it full of holes in my mind.

I can't believe I used to believe a lot of that stuff! :-s

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World