'Chrikstianityi' today is not Christian

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

'Chrikstianityi' today is not Christian

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

The Jesus of Nazareth, the Jesus I grew up knowing from the Gospels is not recognizable in the public 'Christianity' I see today.

Jesus preached against the hypocrites, those who claimed to follow the law, yet rejected its spirit.
Jesus preached that we help the poor and the stranger, yet today's public Christian despises the poor and the immigrant.
Today's evangelical stands for everything Jesus preached against. I do not recognize them in what Jesus preached:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons[a] of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: 'Chrikstianityi' today is not Christian

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

He also sent his followers out to strangers to preach about the kingdom, another thing not generally done by church members.

Happily there are Christians that do what Jesus commanded on earth today!

JEHOVAHS WITESS
Go to other posts related to...

CHRISTIANITY, JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES and ...RELIGIOUS TRUTH
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Danmark »

I'd have been more impressed by a photo of people helping the poor or visiting those in prison. The sad truth is churches spend about 1% of their budget to help the poor. Most of the money goes to sustain the church. This is exactly the opposite of the 1st Century Christian community.

"You could argue about comparing a church’s expenses to a public charity’s expenses. But the enormous disparity is striking, especially to the public. It’s made worse by looking at how churches allocate funds to direct ministries. According to the ECCU study, chuches use 3 percent of their budget for children’s and youth programs, and 2 percent for adult programs. Local and national benevolence receives 1 percent of the typical church budget."
https://churchleaders.com/pastors/pasto ... dgets.html

What is the point of "preaching the word" if the primary message of Jesus is ignored? Churches have become mere social clubs, except they give less to the poor.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in- ... xemptions/

Savant

Re: 'Chrikstianityi' today is not Christian

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Danmark wrote: ...Jesus preached against the hypocrites, those who claimed to follow the law, yet rejected its spirit.
Jesus preached that we help the poor and the stranger, yet today's public Christian despises the poor and the immigrant....
I don’t know can it really be said that all of them despises the poor… …but I agree that there are many hypocrites that claim Jesus is God, but don’t believe what Jesus himself said and don’t obey Jesus.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Danmark »

I note there have been ZERO arguments presented to refute the idea that Christianity as practiced today does not reflect the 1st Century Christianity preached by Jesus; that the emphasis today is not on helping the poor as Jesus preached, but on promoting the church. This is disguised as "preaching the gospel."