Why didn't Jesus mention "the blood"

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Why didn't Jesus mention "the blood"

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Why did Jesus so often teach forgiveness without mentioning "the blood", or without tying it to "the blood"?

Examples,

-The LORD's prayer
-The Beattitudes
-The Parables.

If forgiveness is tied to "the blood" (as the author of Hebrews claims) why didn't Jesus go around preaching this, and instead preach simple repentance and the Father's mercy? Without tying that forgiveness to "the blood"?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

Perhaps He was teaching new stuff, not going over old stuff...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

ttruscott wrote: Perhaps He was teaching new stuff, not going over old stuff...
What do you consider the new stuff? Forgiveness based on repentance and the Father's mercy? Or forgiveness based on blood.

Forgiveness not based on "the blood" is nothing new. It part of the prophetic tradition, which Jesus seemed in tune with.

He even quotes Hosea 6.6, "I desire mercy not sacrifice" and incorporated that principle into the LORD's prayer.

And his teachings harmonize nicely with passages such as Micah 6.6-8 as well.

When it comes to forgiveness, Jesus was firmly in the Prophetic, not the Priestly tradition.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

Elijah John wrote: When it comes to forgiveness, Jesus was firmly in the Prophetic, not the Priestly tradition.
Jesus fulfills everything. I know that sounds like a truism but as you get into it you see how he is the priest, the prohpet, the king, the lamb, the scapegoat, the temple, the true Israel, the Messiah, the Christ, the Son of Man, the Son of God and so on. The book of Hebrews is how he is our High Priest.

All Sunday School children know Jesus is the answer to everything and as I take it more seriously I learn that Jesus is the answer to everything.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Why didn't Jesus mention "the blood"

Post #5

Post by onewithhim »

Elijah John wrote: Why did Jesus so often teach forgiveness without mentioning "the blood", or without tying it to "the blood"?

Examples,

-The LORD's prayer
-The Beattitudes
-The Parables.

If forgiveness is tied to "the blood" (as the author of Hebrews claims) why didn't Jesus go around preaching this, and instead preach simple repentance and the Father's mercy? Without tying that forgiveness to "the blood"?
Well, he DID mention the blood, tying it in with forgiveness.

-The Last Supper

"Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: 'This means my body, which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.' Also, he did the same with the cup after they had the evening meal, saying, 'This cup means the new covenantby virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.'" (Luke 22:19,20)

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to post 5 by onewithhim]
Exactly. Here too:

John 6:53 So Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I will resurrect him on the last day; 55 for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. It is not as when your forefathers ate and yet died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.�

... but EJ already knows that. It is not the first time he asks the same question and get responses. Another friend who forgets answers and needs reminders ... all good. ;)

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Elijah John wrote: Why did Jesus so often teach forgiveness without mentioning "the blood", or without tying it to "the blood"?

Examples,

-The LORD's prayer
-The Beattitudes
-The Parables.

One has to wonder if the connection between blood and forgiveness wasn't a late addition. Perhaps Jesus never intended to be crucified, but once he was, his followers had to add blood sacrifice to the story.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Avoice
Guru

Post #8

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 2 by ttruscott]

Look carefully at your response. New stuff? There is no new stuff that we should uphold as Gods message. We have been told to reject new doctrine.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #9

Post by Overcomer »

You continue to put forth arguments from silence in an attempt to justify your beliefs, Elijah John. But arguments from silence are at best weak and at worst fallacious -- and usually the latter.

It's like saying that, when Jesus was talking about sexual sin, he didn't say that pedophilia is wrong so, therefore, it must be okay.

As I have said before, we need to concentrate on what the Bible says, not on what you or others think it should say, but doesn't.

tam
Savant

Post #10

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

This cannot even be an 'argument from silence':

This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
Matthew 26:28